Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #11
a_marines_wife03
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: HS Check-In, Part 2

well Its 10:00 and our official school day is done. DD was in a great mood today and breezed through all of the core subjects. we still have to finish our halloween ghost (the foot prints are drying) and we have some PE time to get in still but that is easy and I don't really consider it a part of School even though I use the time. I found great plans for a wall organizer that I am dying to make if I can borrow a saw from my dad. Hears a link if anyone has the desire to see my next project. We are very limited on space for our school room and I thought a couple of these would be perfect for holding our daily lessons so DD can grab and go.

http://ana-white.com/2011/08/pb-inspired-daily-system-letter-bin#comment-43443

For science today we did leaf rubbings of the leaves we collected while camping last weekend and identified which tree they came from using our great chart we got from the ranger station. we also inspected some rocks just because they were laying on the table. I wish i could get little DD to do more school with me she hit the tantrum stage when she turned 3 and throws a fit over everything. I hope she grows out of it soon so we can move on with learning some new things. Tonight glow in the dark shaving cream paint in the bath tub.

Advertisement

follow my blog: http://mommaof3-littlebits.blogspot.com/
If you have a product youd like me to blog about send me a message.
a_marines_wife03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #12
FTingmama
Registered Users

Oh wow you moms seem so much better at this! I definitely agree with the thoughts on sending them to school but like that quote I don't want the village teaching my kids LOL. I've had dd in school though and hated it. I shuffle between feeling I can teach them better and feeling overwhelmed like they might not be getting enough. Its hard with 2 that need my full attention for school and the toddler that thinks she has to have all the attention.

Dd does well but struggles with frustration over anything she doesn't know right off the bat. Ds well idk about him. I've started to feel he may be special needs but I still think he can do well with the right help and I'm worried about getting him checked & being labeled something or medicated. I just don't know some days. Really just sending the baby somewhere during the day would make life easier than them going to school.
FTingmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #13
a_marines_wife03
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTingmama View Post
Oh wow you moms seem so much better at this! I definitely agree with the thoughts on sending them to school but like that quote I don't want the village teaching my kids LOL. I've had dd in school though and hated it. I shuffle between feeling I can teach them better and feeling overwhelmed like they might not be getting enough. Its hard with 2 that need my full attention for school and the toddler that thinks she has to have all the attention.

Dd does well but struggles with frustration over anything she doesn't know right off the bat. Ds well idk about him. I've started to feel he may be special needs but I still think he can do well with the right help and I'm worried about getting him checked & being labeled something or medicated. I just don't know some days. Really just sending the baby somewhere during the day would make life easier than them going to school.
I am still new to home schooling the last couple days of things going smoothly is rare. this is our first official year with record keeping. I did Pre k but it was informal and I did not keep records other than a bunch of stuff we made. I am struggling to get both girls at the table working at the same time. I feel they do more work in our 3-4 hours a day than they do all day at public school. We get down to business so we can get on with living and playing a lot of which counts toward home school hours. We are winging curriculum this year but I think we are going to go with a box type curriculum next year or may be time for learning for our core subjects.

follow my blog: http://mommaof3-littlebits.blogspot.com/
If you have a product youd like me to blog about send me a message.
a_marines_wife03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #14
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Can I blow off school for the 3rd day in a row? Seems like that is the direction we're heading. DD2 had an orthodontist appt at 7:30 AM this morning. So we all had to be up and getting ready by 6:30. I'm not a morning person and my kids typically roll out of bed between 8 (DS) and 11 (DD1). So, everyone is grumpy today. After the appt., I drove around and picked up 2 of my daycare kids and we field tripped to Wal-Mart for athlete's foot cream. We live the high life don't we? When we got home, I set the big kids down to work, but it was nearly time for lunch, so that interrupted things and now DD2 has spent an hour on the couch napping. She's leaving for choir in 10 minutes. Oh well, DD1 cranked out all her work. I'll try to catch DD2 up after 4H tonight-at least on math. The investigation she's working on has 3 parts and DD1's only has 1 part. Even though they are doing different things, I like them to be on the same lesson for planning purposes (I like to cut and paste their lessons ). Anyway, I'm ready for the week to be over.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #15
cedavid2011
Registered Users
seller

We had a pretty smooth day today, until the end. DS1 did great for almost everything and then had a meltdown over his last ETC worksheet. We finally got through it but now I'm exhausted. At least DD3 & DD4 are both napping now so maybe I can take a few minutes to relax before DH gets home and we have dinner. Glad to hear some others are having good days too. Only one more day to go for us this week because our homeschool support group has Friday Fun planned. We are having a pot luck lunch and fall crafts and games, etc. We are looking forward to it.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #16
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well we got a late start today. Everyone overslept and then I had to start dinner (mushroom, barley and lentil stew in the slow cooker, yum). Tharen did great with math, training and reading. We reviewed in science and took a test then moved on to history. I'm having a lot of trouble with Kearnan retaining anything and he had a huge outburst when I asked him questions so I set him to researching after having him take a time out. He now has to write me a paper about the history of Samhain and Halloween. Tharen then helped me clean the bathroom. So again today I feel like we didn't actually accomplish much. Tharen still isn't doing any language arts outside of reading and Kearnan isn't covering all of his topics. I need to get him through reading comp, writing (he will actually get that through his research paper, yay me) and social skills. We never seem to have the time.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #17
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This is our first year homeschooling and technically we started a year early based on age cut offs here in Maryland. DS was ready for Kindergarten though, so we started. Today was pretty smooth, the smoothest day we have had in about a week. He also requested to write words, so I made up some sheets for him to copy down words and practice his writing...he loves to learn, and wants more than what we have right now, but I don't want to burn him out, and I am trying to save money so I can buy All About Reading for him.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #18
TJR2119
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mom7 View Post
Just jumping in here b/c my oldest used to do the same thing. He'd give the wrong answer and belly laugh. I'd just say "if we can't be serious we'll have to put it away for now" and I'd start packing up the stuff. Since he loves school this was enough to keep him from doing it. Not that school has to be serious all the time but I guess that was the only word I could think of.
Thank you! I will give this a try.
TJR2119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #19
3boys_mom
Registered Users

Would love to join you lovely ladies! I read most of the other thread...but didn't get a chance to chime in until now. I will have to go back and finish reading the other thread.

But while I'm thinking of it Heather (loves CDs) I didn't realize back in the May2010 DDG that your oldest is so close in age to my DS2. He turns 7 on the 18th. I believe I read your boy's birthday is the 19th. Awesome! Good luck with the arrival of your newest little one!

I guess a little intro would be nice....my kids are in 4th, 2nd, and K4. We try to get most of our lessons done while the girls are napping. Unfortunately that doesn't always happen. Yesterday we took off (it was our first missed day since we started Aug 27th). I was beginning to feel the burn, so I nipped that in the bud. And today we had a field trip, so tomorrow-> back in action. I'm having trouble this year and I really don't want it to get as bad as it did last year. Oh yeah, we have homeschooled since the beginning. My oldest is continuing to give me lip about doing his work (not wanting to do it, too tired, "can you write this for me?") and now my middle boy is starting to "not like school." This is the boy that in the past could not get enough. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with big brother's attitude...but still I'm not liking it.

I look forward to this check in...maybe it will help keep me on top of things here....
Old 10-11-2012, 02:20 AM   #20
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

Hi - Can I jump in???
I am really, really struggling this year and could greatly use the support of some BTDT moms.
This is year two for us - last year was great. We had a few bumps but got our work done. This year we are SO FAR behind - I think we've done about a weeks worth of work so far all year! We have some curriculum issues going on as we are waiting on assessment tests but I feel like we blew the entire month. Motivation is a HUGE problem - I get distracted with the babies and the older ones will just turn on the TV or go outside even though they KNOW that isn't ok. We are working on becoming 'independent learners" but they are a LONG way off even where they should be for their ages.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote