Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #51
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: HS Check-In, Part 2

School went really well yesterday. We got everything in and finished before noon. Then, the girls complained all afternoon that they were bored.

DD2 is already up, so I need to get her on track soon. She's playing with my high-needs dc baby, so I might let that slide a little bit longer.

Advertisement

2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:23 AM   #52
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Congrats on the new little one! We are currently dealing with jealousy issues here with our 2 1/2 yr old. It has been a true test. Some days are great, and then others, like yesterday and today, are really bad.

I printed out the election lapbook stuff yesterday and worked on putting together some of it to make it easier for DS. We will probably add it in tomorrow and work on it slowly over the next few weeks. We are finishing up week 6 of MFWK and the spider lapbook today.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:56 AM   #53
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs
Hi everyone! Sorry I've been MIA. Even though I thought it might never happen , I finally had baby #6. My water broke early Friday morning (10/12) and he was delivered at 1:50pm on Friday afternoon. He is my biggest baby by almost 2lbs. He was 9lbs 1oz, just as I expected. Everything went amazingly well and I had the exact birth that I've always wanted, no meds at all, not even a hep-lock (IV started, but not attached). Now, I'm bummed I won't ever do it again! Sort of! Anyway, things have been a little rougher than I had hoped or expected. As always, I'm having severe nipple pain, probably from thrush. (I have nursed 5 other children through many, many struggles including very stubborn and resistant thrush/yeast that took more than one child to even diagnose.) I'm now on meds and hoping the pain will get better quickly, but I do have actual open sores on my nips and that's a first for me. The nursing issue has really affected me because I was so hopeful it would go better this time. *sigh* Also, my 2.5 year olds are both reacting to the new baby, one with jealously, the other by testing us and acting out. New territory also as none of my other kids did this with the other births. So, on the HS'ing front, I'm thinking of it, but thinking "how in the world???"

Hope everyone is having a good week! I'll try to continue keeping up because we will start back up at some point and hopefully sooner rather than later.
Congrats!!!!!! I had terrible open sores as well with ds, I was on the path for it to happen with dd also but thank God our MW was a LC and helped us get her latch corrected. Could it have anything to do with the latch?
Take it easy and don't think about school for a bit! Enjoy your baby moon

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #54
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Heather--Congrats!!! And even though it was longer than the others, you still got in a few days before your due date. The nipple things stinks--I have been there. Hopefully your meds will kick in, baby will get things down and all will be well soon in that department. And hopefully your twins won't take too long to settle in and adjust to the new babe. How are the olders doing? If I were you I would take a big fat break while you and the kiddos adjust--it's a big adjustment! Well, you can do something if you/they feel like it, but try not to worry about what other people feel you should be doing as far as HS goes.

So I'm reading these posts about lapbooks, and I'll be honest--I don't know what that is. Is this some really cool thing that I'm missing out on?

Today here went much better than yesterday. We were able to do quite a bit this morning and Keegan is getting better and better with blending sounds. Unfortunatly while he's getting better at that, his sight reading is not going that well. I'm thinking about having him tested for dyslexia, but I'm not sure how to do that. I know schools don't dx it because I have looked at that option. I talked to his ped about it last year, but she wanted to wait until he had his glasses for a while and until he was a bit older before we looked into anything. She wasn't sure what to do either though, she said she only had one patient with dyslexia and she was already dx-ed before she got to our doc. Anyone know what to do? And if it makes a difference, we live in a very backwoods area, so resources around here are slim.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #55
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boys_mom View Post
Oy! I'm not sure what I will do with my oldest. He is insistent on doing things HIS way, even if HIS way warrants a wrong answer. It makes for fun times when doing math.

Anyone else dealing with an obstinate student?
Hi, I'll drop in since I've been lurking...I have a DS - 1st grade with ADHD and a SHORT attention span, DD who's 4 and does some pre-k stuff when she wants to - she loves to learn...then a 3 year old and 1 year old. We use a computer based program b/c my DS is obstinate about doing school 3boys_mom...that way he can argue with the computer but it backs me up and won't let him move forward until he's learned it...he argues less with me...we've been using www.time4learning.com which he loves...we may try www.k5learning.com to see which works best and when he's old enough we may try Switched on Schoolhouse...
Old 10-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #56
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Heather--Congrats!!! And even though it was longer than the others, you still got in a few days before your due date. The nipple things stinks--I have been there. Hopefully your meds will kick in, baby will get things down and all will be well soon in that department. And hopefully your twins won't take too long to settle in and adjust to the new babe. How are the olders doing? If I were you I would take a big fat break while you and the kiddos adjust--it's a big adjustment! Well, you can do something if you/they feel like it, but try not to worry about what other people feel you should be doing as far as HS goes.

So I'm reading these posts about lapbooks, and I'll be honest--I don't know what that is. Is this some really cool thing that I'm missing out on?

Today here went much better than yesterday. We were able to do quite a bit this morning and Keegan is getting better and better with blending sounds. Unfortunatly while he's getting better at that, his sight reading is not going that well. I'm thinking about having him tested for dyslexia, but I'm not sure how to do that. I know schools don't dx it because I have looked at that option. I talked to his ped about it last year, but she wanted to wait until he had his glasses for a while and until he was a bit older before we looked into anything. She wasn't sure what to do either though, she said she only had one patient with dyslexia and she was already dx-ed before she got to our doc. Anyone know what to do? And if it makes a difference, we live in a very backwoods area, so resources around here are slim.
lapbooks are a way to put together stuff for a unit in a fun way. My son really likes the one we did on spiders and it was something we could do together because some of it was a little over his head(the grade level for this one started at 2nd grade).
Old 10-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #57
cedavid2011
Registered Users
seller

Congratulations Heather! I hope your issues are resolved soon and you can enjoy the new edition to your family!
Yesterday and today went ok. We are getting most of our school stuff done and working hard on the chicken coop while the weather holds out. Tomorrow we are getting together with another homeschooling family for a play day. Have a good day and weekend everyone!
Old 10-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #58
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

hi Wendy!

Hey Mamas (: Just dropping in to say hi. Yesterday we got very little done, nd today we are headed to the beach! Cool morning but when we get there it will be a little over 80 and SUNNY
So glad we started school early cause we might just decide to take it easy for a couple weeks and enjoy this gorgeous (not too hot) weather.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #59
3boys_mom
Registered Users

So yesterday was a sick day. Today is my middle boy's birthday. Oy!
Got some lessons done with the oldest, even though he assumed he'd have off today due to brother's birthday. Um no. Brother has off, not you buddy!

It went better than expected, so I guess I can't complain. Right now all the boys (DH included) are playing Minecraft. The girls are napping...I think I'll try to get some sewing done for the littlest one's birthday on Sunday.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #60
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

We did a short lesson as far as MFW today. They didn't have a ton in the lesson books, plus it is DH's day off. Now we'll spend most of the day hauling and stacking wood, and we may go see my squishy new nephew later if they don't have plans. I'm sure some of that can be counted as HSing...right? I mean, that's lifeskills....right? Hahaha...Lifeskills is my big-broad-wonderful catergory of "anything that doesn't have a real place." Sewing, cooking, cleaning, stacking wood, changing a tire....everyone needs lifeskills.

ETA: I was just sitting here thinking that this post probably doesn't come across that well to those who don't know me and think that maybe lifeskills is all we do or that it's the big bulk of of hours. It's not. We do plenty of regular stuff. But I do count LS sometimes when we need to round out our hours.

Last edited by jen_batten; 10-18-2012 at 11:55 AM.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote