Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2012, 03:29 AM   #21
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What were your medical reasons for circumcising?

I will say thanks to a man we knew, I would not circ to help with future possibilities of penille cancer. I knew a man who well, we all knew was circed, cause he is Jewish who developed penille cancer, They had to remove almost the entirety of his penis due to cancer. He was in his early 40's and he was no longer going to be able to have intercourse with his wife, and had many other issues. They actually wanted to sue the doctors. But it was determined because of the cancer, and because he had been circed, they were unable to save the majority of his penis. It came out if he had not been circed, they could have saved a lot more of his penis (enough for intercourse for sure), because of the way the cancer formed and when the foreskin is present, there is more to work with. The man was crushed, and like others when you have a close experience to someone with circ issues, or non-circ issues, it can effect your views a whole lot.

Advertisement

Last edited by Fairycat; 10-10-2012 at 03:30 AM.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:41 AM   #22
Puppydog
Banned for 6 months for ignoring repeated request to attempt to be polite/respectful.

I'm flummoxed as to how a natural part of the body can increase the risk of cancer?
Puppydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:23 AM   #23
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyblackdot
We will be circumcising, i had and my dd also had kidney reflux and most likely DS will have it as well, that causes UTIs and can cause kidney damage with each infection,
My dd has bilateral kidney reflux and we did not circ out sons because of her disease.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:40 AM   #24
nursenmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppydog View Post
I'm flummoxed as to how a natural part of the body can increase the risk of cancer?
I think the real question is does is justify removing that part, and is it ethical. But, removing a women's breast prophylactically for instance reduces her breast cancer risk by 90%. Obviously this is not the same as circumcision, but just to show that having a natural part of the body increases the risk of cancer.
nursenmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #25
Angel89411
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now

My dd has bilateral kidney reflux and we did not circ out sons because of her disease.

But the quoted poster is choosing to. The weighed both sides and came to the decision they felt was best. Just like you did.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:34 AM   #26
Puppydog
Banned for 6 months for ignoring repeated request to attempt to be polite/respectful.

I just don't see how removing the foreskin will have any impact on a penile cancer risk?
Puppydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #27
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel89411

But the quoted poster is choosing to. The weighed both sides and came to the decision they felt was best. Just like you did.
I never said they were making the wrong decision. Just stated we are dealing with the same disease and chose not to circ because of a siblings medical issue.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:43 AM   #28
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

My oldest son was circ'ed behind my back. His father consented to the procedure. The reason was to lessen the risk of UTIs, yeast infections, and to look like his father. My son's circ took weeks to heal, was extremely painful for him to deal with, and he got repeated UTIs and yeast infections. His bladder is scarred from the amount of UTIs he had while still in diapers. He also is resistant to certain antibiotics now. It was not a good experience for us.

My younger 3 boys were left intact and none of them has had one UTI or yeast infection. None of them had the issues my oldest did. So for us, the things that were supposed to be prevented by the procedure happened because of the procedure. The pedi who recommended this to us ended up appologizing to me after when he had twin boys he chose to keep intact. I can say that he has no issues with it now and is 15 yrs old. He only had issues when still in diapers.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #29
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now View Post
As a nurse that worked in pediatrics I can say that all circumcisions I witnessed were done with NO anesthetics. It is not standard to use it where I have worked.

If any numbing agents are used the docs don't wait for it to take effect. They slap on the gel and go to cutting, or use the nerve block but immediately start cutting. They don't wait long enough or the anesthetic to take effect.

That's your experience, based on what you've seen. I know for a fact that the doctor waited until the numbing agent took effect on DS1 and DS2 before starting the circumcision. Not all doctors are the same, and do things the same way.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #30
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHouse

That's your experience, based on what you've seen. I know for a fact that the doctor waited until the numbing agent took effect on DS1 and DS2 before starting the circumcision. Not all doctors are the same, and do things the same way.
Yes, that was my experience as a pediatric nurse at a huge level one trauma hospital and teaching hospital. And EVERY doc at that hospital that did use the mentioned anesthetics, which was not many at all maybe one out of 20, did NOT wait. This was not my limited experience with one or two docs, but dozens of docs. I have worked other area hospitals across the SE and it was the same.

ETA: This hospital averaged 20-30 deliveries a DAY so it was not a tiny sampling of docs or circs.

Last edited by 7 for now; 10-10-2012 at 09:15 AM.