Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #41
VinhThiMom
Vinh Thi Designs
Formerly: chrisnsteph1022
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What were your medical reasons for circumcising?

This isn't going to be pretty. We had no reason to circ our 8mo when we adopted him (they don't circ in Vietnam). So we just never did it.

Advertisement

VinhThiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #42
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppydog View Post
I'm flummoxed as to how a natural part of the body can increase the risk of cancer?
If you remove the body part it can quite naturally not develop cancer. Say you perform a mastectomy on one side you. You now have less risk for breast cancer. Afterall you now have 50% less breast tissue.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:23 AM   #43
Puppydog
Banned for 6 months for ignoring repeated request to attempt to be polite/respectful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
If you remove the body part it can quite naturally not develop cancer. Say you perform a mastectomy on one side you. You now have less risk for breast cancer. Afterall you now have 50% less breast tissue.
Yes. But penile cancer is cancer of the penis. Not the foreskin.
Puppydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #44
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now View Post
My dd has bilateral kidney reflux and we did not circ out sons because of her disease.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Can i ask why?
Old 10-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #45
iwiamandaiwi
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHouse View Post
I don't think it's standard procedure in the US to use any kind of pain management during a circumcision. That said, DS1 and DS2 are circ'ed, and a numbing agent was used. DS3 will be circ'ed soon, and he has to go under GA for it (because he's older).
general anesthesia scares the crap out of me. i would much rather have it done after they are born and avoid that. i am sorry your son is having to go through this My two sons were circed after birth and a numbing agent was used on both and they were born at different hospitals. I did it for many reasons. the cancer risk and infection risk were among those reasons. If this next child is a boy he will also be circed for the same reasons. Honestly my boys did not seem to be bothered too much by the procedure and once it was over it did not seem to be very painful to them during the healing process. I think it is a necessary discomfort that will benefit them greatly in the long run.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #46
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyblackdot

Can i ask why?
I have a friend whos daughter also has Kidney Reflux and she didnt circ her son. I know you didnt ask me but figured I'd offer the story since you asked another poster.

She didnt circ because:
- she did want to "treat" one kid for anoothers illness.
- if she had more daughters she wouldnt circ them despite her other daughter illness, even though girls are more likely to get UTIs than boys
- the rates of uti are so small circed or not (intact boys only have a 1% chance of uti, at most). So it wasnt a good enough difference for her.

Her little guys is 5 months and hasnt had a single problem

Amanda . Blaming my phone for typos and crap.
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #47
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyblackdot

Can i ask why?
Sure! I don't believe in RIC. We plan not to have any of our boys circed. My dd was born with bilateral kidney reflux and had multiple infections. But that is her. Just because she is born with a medical condition does not automatically mean he would have been. I was certainly not comfortable circing them just because of her condition.

My sons were NOT born with kidney reflux and even if they were I don't think I would circ because it is his bladder and kidneys that cause the problem with kidney reflux, not the penis/forskin. The infections come from urine flowing back up into the kidneys once it reaches the bladder. The forskin is not the culprit, but rather the valves in the bladder that are supposed to keep urine from back flowing from the bladder to the kidneys.

I hope I make some sense.

Last edited by 7 for now; 10-11-2012 at 11:11 AM.
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #48
iwiamandaiwi
Registered Users

ugh, just now reading over this thread and I see that , as usual, it has turned into a bash everyone who dares to circ thread. the OP did not ask for that, she simply asked for medical reasons why we diecided to circ. I reaqlly need to stay away from these circ threads, they make me so angry. You should be ashamed of yourselves for trying to make mamas who chose to circ feel bad about it. It is a personal decision and should be respected. You act as though they are murdering their children for gods sake...
Old 10-11-2012, 11:12 AM   #49
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwiamandaiwi
ugh, just now reading over this thread and I see that , as usual, it has turned into a bash everyone who dares to circ thread. the OP did not ask for that, she simply asked for medical reasons why we diecided to circ. I reaqlly need to stay away from these circ threads, they make me so angry. You should be ashamed of yourselves for trying to make mamas who chose to circ feel bad about it. It is a personal decision and should be respected. You act as though they are murdering their children for gods sake...
Personal means for that person. Circed boys dont made that decision.

Also I dont see where anyone was bashing circ-ers
Many posters were talking medical reasons. There are few reasons and they are minimal thats all those mamas were pointing out.

Amanda . Blaming my phone for typos and crap.
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #50
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now View Post
Sure! I don't believe in RIC. We plan not to have any of our boys circed. My dd was born with bilateral kidney reflux and had multiple infections. But that is her. Just because she is born with a medical condition does not automatically mean he would have been. I was certainly not comfortable circing them just because of her condition.

My sons were NOT born with kidney reflux and even if they were I don't think I would circ because it is his bladder and kidneys that cause the problem with kidney reflux, not the penis/forskin. The infections come from urine flowing back up into the kidneys once it reaches the bladder. The forskin is not the culprit, but rather the valves in the bladder that are supposed to keep urine from back flowing from the bladder to the kidneys.

I hope I make some sense.

It makes complete sense.

I wonder though what your feelin would be if they had had kidney reflux. I just worry about the damage done to the kidneys IF there where more UTIs, not to mention the constant worry or Drs debating if the UTI was from the foreskin or the possible kidney reflux. Or having to do the VCUG or cath my baby over and over again for no reason.......not ok with me. The risk and pain of the circ one time out weighs the complications and pain that goes with the many tests and treatment of kidney reflux for us.