Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #11
rivershere
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What's the deal with wool?

about how many wool do you need for a nb?? thinking about using GMD workhorses and wool together.

Advertisement

rivershere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #12
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I had 8. You could get away with 4-5 as long as you use all fitteds with good containment. If you used all XS Sandys you could probably get away with 3 covers those things are bulletproof. Something would escape a GMD WH every couple of days for us.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #13
SomeThing
Registered Users
seller

I have one wool cover that I knitted for LO (6 mo). We use it every night. I wash it when I have to (when it gets poopy or starts to smell) but otherwise I just leave it to air out during the day and it's ready to wear that night.

At night we use a bamboo fitted (Bumboo) with a microfleece liner to keep LO feeling dry, and the wool cover over it. No diaper changes at night thanks to the microfleece. In the morning the wool feels damp and the fitted is completely soaked, but we haven't had any leaks. Love it!
SomeThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #14
momma_dna
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivershere
about how many wool do you need for a nb?? thinking about using GMD workhorses and wool together.
This is what we use. For full time wool 6-8 pieces. We started with knit, but have since found the interlock love. It's so soft and durable and you can machine wash it. We love loveybums and Wild Coconut Wear.

ETA: For resale purposes interlock holds its value a lot better than knit. So while it seems expensive you usually can make 50-85% of your money back depending on what condition it's in.

Last edited by momma_dna; 10-13-2012 at 10:12 AM.
momma_dna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #15
JessB
Registered Users

I've got some here on ds, and I've knitted some of my own. There are lots of free patterns out there if you know someone who knits or want to teach yourself. They are very basic easy patterns.
JessB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #16
socalbabymom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am also planing to use wool cover with GMD diaper. I got 2 Loveybums, 1 Aristocrats, 1 Disana, 2 no-brand wool cover and 1 Imse Vimse wool cover so far. All from ebay and spot's corner. I wanna get one more from Mama bear one-size and see how it works.
socalbabymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #17
Kaileida
Registered Users

I want to buy wool- seems so worth it!- but I can't spare the money at the moment... I also can't knit! Should I suck it up and set aside a little money every week until I can buy a couple wool covers?
Kaileida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #18
rivershere
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliasmom View Post
I had 8. You could get away with 4-5 as long as you use all fitteds with good containment. If you used all XS Sandys you could probably get away with 3 covers those things are bulletproof. Something would escape a GMD WH every couple of days for us.
could I buy less and just wash them more often? You cant matchine dry right? I heard you have to lay them out and it can take 24 hrs to dry. IZa'm looking for a cheaper option and I'm not sure if buying some wool or just investing in some NB covers would be better
rivershere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #19
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

imo 2 is fine.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #20
babysays
Registered Users

I get mine here: shop.diaperparties.com/Sustainablebabyish-l-Sloomb_bymfg_37-2-1.html?AffId=4

You can always start with 2 and see how it goes so you will at least have one in use and one drying. With my newborn, I had 3 covers and have added more shorties and longies since then so we can use those in place of pants/shorts too. Sloomb wool holds its value whether knit or interlock. Once you are ready to size up, you will have no problem selling the covers you've outgrown.

As others have mentioned be sure to use a good fitted underneath, like the sustainablebabyish snapless fitted or OBF. This will prevent your wool from getting as wet which will allow you to use it longer without washing.

If you need to speed up the drying, you can put them near a vent or point a fan at them After washing it is okay to put them on a low spin only cycle in your washer but do not machine wash or dry.
babysays is offline   Reply With Quote