Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #11
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: At my wits end!

well, if this was a teeny baby, we'd think gas or reflux.

It might be growing pains, it could be a lot of things.

Does he have any other strange symptoms?

Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #12
SamanthaSews
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange
I'd give him his nap back and I'd look into a toddler clock. He can wake up and know what time it is (sleepy time or wakeful time) and know that he needs to go back to bed.

On that note, I will say this, my daughter's internal clock is set. Period. If she goes to bed earlier or later, she will wake up at the same exact time, like clockwork. When I was a small child, I often woke up for the day at 5am. I don't know much about my napping or not napping, but I do know I was an early riser.

My daughter started doing the 5am thing at about 21 months and it lasted awhile. Maybe a month? I don't remember. Anyways, she did eventually go back to 7am and now at 24months, she's a strict 6:30am person. I usually check her diaper (I was putting her on the potty until that particular potty got a weeble flushed in it and the plumber hasn't been here yet) anyways.. and then I put her back in bed and tell her it's nighttime. She does not go back to sleep, but she usually gives us about 30 more minutes. Then I bring her in bed with me (I would prefer if she'd just play in her room) and I do not let her move or talk. If she tries to chat, she gets told 'shh, it's night night time' and she knows what this means and these days, she generally cuddles up quiet with me. Promptly at 7:30, reveille plays and I release her. I'm personally trying to teach her that we get up at reveille. sounds insane, I know, but I'm pregnant and exhausted. .

So, the early rising sucks, but isn't the real problem as I see it. The real problem is all the night wakings. A toddler clock with some consistency with putting him back in bed repeatedly for a few nights might help with those.
Thanks! I have thought about a toddler clock & I think I am just going to have to get one.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 10-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #13
SamanthaSews
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange
well, if this was a teeny baby, we'd think gas or reflux.

It might be growing pains, it could be a lot of things.

Does he have any other strange symptoms?
I kinda think it might have been gas. Lol. He pooped soon after he woke up so I could have been that. He seems to be in pain the way he was acting.

It could also have been bc Daddy is at work. Idk??

Old 10-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #14
SamanthaSews
Registered Users

My Mood:
Ds didn't take a 2 nap this afternoon, so he is already for bed now at 6:30. He is filling his belly & having his milk watching curious George. I had been taking a break from cloth diapers but I put him back in cloth & wool for tonight. Hope he sleeps better. Although I am starting to suspect that he might be getting sick. He didn't eat much at all today & has been holding his ears...

Old 10-10-2012, 11:02 PM   #15
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
I'm right there with you, sister!

My 27 mo used to be a champion sleeper. Now it's 2 or 3 hours until she finally goes to sleep with 2 and 3 nighttime wake ups. I have no idea what happened. It's about 10pm, I put her down at 715. She's just gone to sleep in the past 15 min after playing in her crib, one visit from daddy, one finding lost paci, and one diaper change (barely damp let alone in need of changing), and a cuddle......

Sigh.

I know she'll be up at 2 or 3.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:56 PM   #16
hpfgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Sounds like you're doing the right thing to me. I assume he's waking up because he needs something, so you just have to keep trying things until you figure it out.

I would change diaper, make sure clothes are comfortable (good temperature), cuddle, sing sooth. Tell him he needs to stay in his bed during night even if he doesn't sleep and you'll be back at day time.

DS would get hungry in the middle of the night at that age, so we'd have to go downstairs and give him almost a full meal in the middle of the night. Whew, if you go there be careful not to make it a habit.

3T/4T Trainers, and Toddler AIOs for sale.
hpfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:59 AM   #17
SamanthaSews
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AniMommy
I'm right there with you, sister!

My 27 mo used to be a champion sleeper. Now it's 2 or 3 hours until she finally goes to sleep with 2 and 3 nighttime wake ups. I have no idea what happened. It's about 10pm, I put her down at 715. She's just gone to sleep in the past 15 min after playing in her crib, one visit from daddy, one finding lost paci, and one diaper change (barely damp let alone in need of changing), and a cuddle......

Sigh.

I know she'll be up at 2 or 3.
Oy vey.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:01 AM   #18
SamanthaSews
Registered Users

My Mood:
DS slept well last night! Not sure if it was the early nap, going back to cloth or the Tylenol I gave him for his teeth but he slept past 6am! Yay!

Old 03-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #19
babybentley3/11
Registered Users
seller

Re: At my wits end!

Sounds like how my son was, I just altered his nap schedule so his one nap was earlier and if he woke up grumpy I would try to get him back to sleep. Teething changes everything. But if you want him in his crib you have to be consistent. Bringing him into you bed gets him used to that. My son is now 2 years and sleeps 8-6 and a nap from 12-2 he will stretch his nap if needed or go to sleep later if we are outside playing. But to readjust nap time you have to stay out of the house or comfort zone. Go to a park and keep him playing until its a more appropriate time. This last week his 2 year molars came in so he was napping for 3-3.5 hrs but still slept at night. If he is strong an independent like my son is, give him two options when tired or waking at night. We would tell our son, do you want back into your crib or sit in the rocker? He would have to decide if he wanted to be in his bed or with mom or dad in the rocker in his room. If he didn't decide then I would tell him he had to go back to bed. During the daytime if he really hated the idea of going back to sleep it was read stories or go to your crib... Having choices makes them feel in control and better. GL
babybentley3/11 is offline   Reply With Quote