Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2012, 05:09 AM   #1
ColbyCreations
Registered Users
Formerly: naperica
seller
seller

My Mood:
And yet another hair care question...

I haven't had long hair (still just shoulder length) since I was in high school some humgh/cough/clear throat years ago. It is super frizzy and I think really needs some styling product for when I get out of the shower. I do not use a dryer, so I will not be styling that way.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 06:44 AM   #2
MrsHappyGoLucky
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: And yet another hair care question...

This isn't really a "styling product", but it helps with the frizzies (I have them too). Melt a couple tablespoons of pure coconut oil and work into your hair. Wear a showercap (or Wal-Mart bag like me) for about 10 minutes or so and wash out. It's a wonderful moisturizing treatment for you hair. On the plus side too is that coconut oil has a thousand and one uses. My fave is a lotion replacement...I wake up with really soft skin when I use it at night!

Could you use more energy, fewer health problems or take the guesswork out of nutrition? Try the all natural, whole food concentrate nutritional drink!
Ask me for a free sample! http://bjmitchell.zealforlife.com
MrsHappyGoLucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

I have wicked long, curly hair & it gets out of control fast. I tried ACV for conditioning & it was an epic fail. I occasionally will use a couple eggs in my hair in the same way you'd do a leave in conditioner in the shower.

The only post-shower thing that seems to do the trick is EVOO in small amounts or coconut oil - which is what I use daily. I've found that coconut oil that I melt (I do it just by putting a glob in my hand & rubbing together until it melts) works great - I use it after a shower after I brush my hair - doing a coat all over my hair & kind of scrunching the ends so that it gets into the ends where you'd normally have split ends. I'll add some more after my hair dries, if I need it, the way you'd use an anti-frizz serum. Works great! I don't use any other "product" on my hair anymore & I used to use conditioner, gel & an anti-frizz serum before.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
indigo152
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHappyGoLucky
This isn't really a "styling product", but it helps with the frizzies (I have them too). Melt a couple tablespoons of pure coconut oil and work into your hair. Wear a showercap (or Wal-Mart bag like me) for about 10 minutes or so and wash out. It's a wonderful moisturizing treatment for you hair. On the plus side too is that coconut oil has a thousand and one uses. My fave is a lotion replacement...I wake up with really soft skin when I use it at night!
What do you use to wash out the coconut oil so that you aren't left with greasy hair?

Last edited by indigo152; 10-14-2012 at 08:54 AM.
indigo152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo152 View Post
What do you use to wash out the coconut oil so that you aren't left with greasy hair?
I'll chime in, speaking for myself though. I don't wash it out & my hair isn't greasy at all. It might be a bit shiny/oily when I first put it on, but it goes away. If I want to condition my hair (not just use the oil as a styling product/frizz serum), I do it at night before I get into bed.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:14 PM   #6
lalaith
Registered Users
seller

Just make sure you oil from ears down, and only use a tiny bit (enough to make your palms shiny) and you won't have greasy hair.
and the joy my munchkin brings!
lalaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #7
ollie_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

coconut oil definitely! personally i just put it on the bottom 2 inches to help with the frizzies. i don't put it near the scalp because i don't want my hair to look oily. i have heard it works great in curly hair!
ollie_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:27 AM   #8
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:
My odd has curly hair.....I'll try this on it!
Old 11-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #9
fluffybuttzoe
Registered Users

I am looking for something as well for wavy/curly hair. I'm a bit iffy about trying the coconut oil especially if it's only on the bottom couple of inches of hair. Isn't that going to leave the rest of it frizzy? I've been straightening my hair for the past couple of years without product and not wearing it curly and wanted to start again...
fluffybuttzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
neonalee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My son's hair dreads easily even though we are white. (I hope that is not an offensive way to state that, but it's a different hair type.) His hair usually gets washed & conditioned every other day (he is a dirty boy). Usually once a week we do the Apple cider vinegar rinse after conditioner, but will do more if needed. If we skip the conditioner it's still a mess. If we don't use the ACV it's still a mess.

When my hair was long& curly I used the (un natural) Aussie gel & scrunched really good once it was dry. Naturallycurly is a really good web site.
neonalee is offline   Reply With Quote