Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #41
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What do you do when cars speed down your street?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
This is a good idea IN THEORY. If they don't pay attention to speed signs they aren't going to pay attention to this type of sign either
This is unfortunately too true. The street I grew up on has a park at the end of it, it is a residential street but connects two slightly larger streets without houses and for some reason people like to use it to avoid the lights on main street (because sitting for a moment at a light is just so darn inconvenient ). Instead they like to speed down a narrow street with cars parked on both sides, children playing and darting across and animals running across the road. I am not talking slight speeding either. The speed limit is 25 and they drive 45 or better, it would be speeding if they were doing it on Main street. They don't even bother stopping at the Stop signs and ignore the speed limit signs. At both end of this street is posted "Slow Children at Play" signs as well as at one end a sign that reads "Deaf Child Area". Now that child is actually an adult now and I believe he has moved away (I went to school with him but haven't seen him in ages) but the sign is still there. They ignore these signs just the same as the speed limit and stop signs. They also speed down the alley. My children are not allowed to play in my parents' front yard even though I did it as a child. It seems like the traffic has only gotten worse. Sometimes the residents will call the police department and they will send out one of those boxes that shows how fast you are going, but since they rarely send an actual officer to ticket people it doesn't do a lot of good. The last time they called an officer came out and ticked everyone parked "the wrong direction" on the street. Chasing speeders is hard work, ticketing parked cars is easy, our local PD likes easy work. They also told my parents they couldn't do anything about people speeding in the alley because there was no where to set up a speed trap. The residents of the neighborhood just keep calling because it really is all you can do but honestly to protect your kids you have to be proactive with them, you can't control what other people do. Even if people are driving carefully a child can still be hit by a car.

Advertisement

iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #42
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I live in an older development and there is a corner light one block (in two directions) from my house (so not on my street or my cross street). I have went to the police who put a car speed limit sign in front of my house for a while, but it didn't help. They said that the minimum enforceable speed limit for the WHOLE state of New Jersey is 25. Those speed limit signs in parking lots that are lower then that are not enforceable! How is that to make you !! I said to the officer "So you think it is okay for 2 cars to go down our street (where people routinely park on both sides of the road since all of our drive ways are single car width) at 25 mph, with a combined force should the meet of 50 mph??" The officer looked at me and I could tell he was just as frustrated as me and yes legally. :shakehead:

I have thought about telling the township to ignore maintenance on our street. There is a street that is not too far from us that is in a very wealthy neighborhood but is a main street. They didn't maintain that street and if you drove 25 mph on that street, your car would have damage on it!! They have since repaved that road but I bet the residents on that stretch are MAD now!

I have also thought about making speed bumps but I don't want to discourage the plows from going down our street.

What I have decided to do is put up a fence in our front yard. We would have done it this year but the recession hit us last year and put that on the back burner. Now I am hoping to get it done sometime in the next 5 years (yeah my son is 4 now but I hope to have more children).

Some of our neighbors said that when their children were young (and I am in no way saying you should do this!!!!) they would hide behind a parked car and roll a ball in the street when they would see a car speeding. To me that is a good way to create an accident but it did make cars slow down. So this has been a problem for a long time. I must say that when I drive through our neighborhood, I drive well under the 25 and I love it when a car gets up behind me. They can't pass me, there is no room. Honestly our street should be 1 way but it is funny to watch their faces.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #43
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

This is a huge problem where I live. I live on a long dead end street so the people heading to the end of the street speed down there often. I'm being completely honest but if they are speeding a little, I'll hold my arm up & say slow down but if they are flying past & driving like a nut, I have been known to give the finger & yell "slow the F down" But I live in NJ so everyone gives everyone the finger in this neck of the woods. If someone ever stopped to give me a hard time about what I said, I'd just get their plate & call the police. I do see cops here at times trying to catch speeders.
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:49 AM   #44
kaimon
Registered Users
seller

The only time I have ever signalled anyone to slow down on my street was during a freezing rain storm when I had witnessed a dozen fender benders (no exaggeration) in front of my house within the span of a couple hours. I live near a stop sign and there was black ice... every.single.time a car was at the stop and another was coming down the street they collided. Given the weather people seemed to understand why we were signalling.

If someone's speeding down the street in general I might tsk and mutter something under my breath but I can't imagine that signalling them would do much good so I probably wouldn't bother. I'd rather take control of my situation, my kids, as best as I can than think that I can influence the behaviours of strangers.

Last edited by kaimon; 10-13-2012 at 06:51 AM.
kaimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:49 AM   #45
kaimon
Registered Users
seller

double post
Old 10-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #46
LKB
Registered Users

my husband has mentioned carrying marbles around in his pocket. i don't think he'd actually throw them... but... this is an issue we're going to have to deal with soon (with more civility than marbles, i hope). most cars obey the speed limit on our street, but there are a few that fly down it.
LKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #47
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It never occurred to me to go less than 25mph on a residential street. It's the speed limit that's how fast I go...I'm not going to drive 15mph all over town. The road in front my house is 35mph (I checked) people probably go that fast if not faster. I just keep my kids out of the street, it's not that hard. It's on me to do this, it's not the responsibility of the goodness only knows how many cars go past my house each day to parent my children for me.
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #48
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Where I live residential streets are *not* just for cars. We have many signs saying "share the road" all over town. Roads are also for walking (sidewalks are not on every block), bike riding, and events throughout the year. Which is why it's important for people to go the speed limit, not faster.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #49
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh here we have sidewalks pretty much everywhere...maybe not on both sides of the street but at least on one side. Occasionally people bike on the street but not families mostly only adult riders and college students...if there is an event here the city blocks off the street so cars can't go down them. Here streets are for cars.

I go the speed limit because I don't want a ticket LOL
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #50
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I live in a small/rural town, so streets are for everything here and people are encouraged to abide by the speed limits as well as look out for one another. We rarely block things off here, and when we do it's once a year for the town dance and that's blocked off by fire trucks. Luckily we've never had to use the fire trucks on that day

ETA: I go the speed limit too because I believe it's not my right to break the law, especially since they are resonable (30 in the regular zone and 20 in the school zone). I also believe as a driver it's my responsability to pay attention when I approach kids walking or playing in front yards (not everyone has a back yard) and slow down some.

Last edited by JennTheMomma; 10-13-2012 at 12:47 PM.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote