Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #11
cher0105
Registered Users
seller

Re: Class Project: Why do/don't you buy WAHM diapers?

How much of your stash is WAHM made?

3 pockets out of 27 pockets, 22 inserts out of 46 inserts (for my 8 Flip covers).

How did you decide to buy those brands (reputation, just fell in love, etc)?*

Great prices, cute prints (pockets), materials were exactly what I wanted and not available mainstream, I like supporting a WAHM.

How pleased have you been with your WAHM purchases (and why?)

I have been very happy with the inserts. They have outperformed mainstream inserts and are well constructed and durable. I have been disappointed in all 3 pockets (different WAHMs). Poor construction, fit its either way too big or too small (doesn't seem to match mainstream sizing), not as quality as the mainstream diapers I have used. For the price of WAHM diapers I expect better quality.

Why don't you buy more (or any) WAHM diapers?

My stash is full right now and I am happy with what I have. If/when I need more inserts, I definitely will.

If money were no object, but all other situations were the same (WAHM stocking schedules, uncertainty about brands) would you have a fully WAHM stash?

Absolutely not. I need the Flip covers for the inserts and I love my bumGenius. I would have no WAHM pockets.

Advertisement

Last edited by cher0105; 10-10-2012 at 03:59 PM.
cher0105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #12
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Wow you all are awesome! Thanks so much!
Old 10-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #13
BabySnickerdoodles
Registered Users
Formerly: Generalsgirl08
seller
seller

My Mood:

All of my fitteds (7), and all of my wool....so about 2/3 of my stash? The other 3rd is prefolds

How did you decide to buy those brands (reputation, just fell in love, etc)?*

Reputation of the WAHM, recieved 2 fitteds as baby gifts and fell in love with the brands; availability of their specific products that I liked.
The wool longies I was very happy with too! It was a chance arrangement, and I knew I needed wool, so she contacted me very sweetly, so we did a custom!

Very pleased every time. Communication is always excellent, prices have been good, and construction has been awesome! Even my seconds were in awesome shape!

I am still slowly building my fitted stash as finances allow, and I make our own upcycled covers now. I still do trades with other dyer/spinner wahms for wool yarn to crochet into wool covers, and I have been very happy with those purchases as well!

If money were no object, but all other situations were the same (WAHM stocking schedules, uncertainty about brands) would you have a fully WAHM stash?

Oh yes! In fact, I would probably be open to trying other types of dipes, such as fleece, hybrids, and try other brands of WAHM fitteds and dyed prefolds
Ready to Shop for Woolies? Check out Baby Snickerdoodles on Hyena Cart
BabySnickerdoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:35 PM   #14
McDMom
Registered Users

I'd say about 60% is WAHM made (my prefolds, fitteds and wool)

How did you decide to buy those brands (reputation, just fell in love, etc)?
Reputation and reviews are the main reason I decided on the ones I did. I think that is especially important with WAHM made goods.

For the most part I have been pleased. I research like crazy before buying anything I can't put my hands on. I need to see the diaper from all angles, inside and out and preferably on a baby. I also love reviews. If a product doesn't have enough information on it through FB, DS or their website, I usually don't buy, even if it looks interesting. Thus, I am usually very happy with what I purchase. When I have gone out on a limb and bought one because I liked the look but it didn't have any reviews, I have usually been displeased.

As stated before, if the WAHM doesn't provide enough information and I can't get any reviews, I won't buy. Also, sometimes it is hard to wait for the WAHM to make the product unless I know I'm gonna love it. Buying used WAHM products is good to give me an idea of what is worth the wait. Lastly, I refuse to stalk stores.

Maybe. Depends on which child I am diapering (I have 2 in diapers). DD2 is almost three and super tall. Pockets and AIOs work best on her. In my opinion, you can get better quality pockets and AIOs for cheaper from a "big" name but as far as fitteds and wool, WAHM is the way to go. That's what DD3 uses (8 months) and her stash is mostly WAHM.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #15
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

75-80%
reputation and past experience using them
very
bc i dont need any more lol
yes
And can I PM you if I have further questions?
sure
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #16
tentrevival
Registered Users
seller

About 95%

I tried several name brands, but most had things I didn't like. With WAHMs I was able to find (because of greater variety) or customize to get the features I like best.

Very pleased. I have found work at home mom diapers to fit better, customer service is more friendly, they look cuter, etc.

I am right now. Since I sew most of my own I always find things I want to try, but can't justify spending the money of having someone else make it. My son is sizing up and since he has sensitive skin I need to try wool. I am experimenting a little, but since I have little experience with wool I am trying a variety of things from other moms as well. I basically default to buying from moms at this point since I can rarely find what I want from a national brand.

Absolutely. If money were no object I would have a large stash from a variety of moms.

definitely. i'd be happy to help.
Wife to RJ, who makes the world a beautiful place. Adoring Momma to Efrim Phoenix, my little prince (8-17-09), Julian Russell, my wild thing (11-04-10), Oscar Pax, our little bear (8-16-13), and missing Lucy Soul (1-29-12)
tentrevival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #17
madebymommy
Banned - User Requested
seller

My Mood:
Dp

Last edited by madebymommy; 10-10-2012 at 03:00 PM.
madebymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #18
armywife21
Registered Users

]Ok this is for a project in a business class I'm taking, so I hope it's OK to post this here. I figure doing it here, WAHMs can benefit too. I'm doing research on the WAHM cloth diaper market in particular.

I have to develop a Survey Monkey survey next, and I'll post it wherever it's OK to do so at that time (and will share the results somehow with the WAHMs).

There will also be questions for WAHMs, about their business, in the WAHM section.

Some starter questions ... answer some of these, or none if you just want to add your 2 cents to the discussion:

inbetween 1/3 to 1/2

Bought a couple things off of FSOT because my son was getting red marks based on chubby thighs. I placed the order based on what I liked and reputiation and then fell in love.

Extremely pleased the diapers don't leave red marks, they work well, their cute, and I love being able to support a WAHM who is doing this for their family and not a big box store to make a company rich.

A big factor is cost. Wool & fitteds can be expensive and FSOT is hit or miss. Also my husband loves cloth diapering also and he prefers some non wahm diapers that we have had for ages

No not a full WAHM stash but I would say it woul be at least 3/4 of it and that is only because our favorite favorite diapers are rumparooz which aren't made by a wahm.

Yep

TIA for helping with my project! This is so much more interesting than researching biotech or burger places! (Now I'm off to visit the Cottonbabies store, and 2 other cloth stores in the area ... I love Portland ...)

Jealous!!

Last edited by armywife21; 10-10-2012 at 03:00 PM.
armywife21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #19
madebymommy
Banned - User Requested
seller

My Mood:
How much of your stash is WAHM made? Less than 1/4

How did you decide to buy those brands (reputation, just fell in love, etc)? All but one WAHM item was given to me. The one I bought, was on clearance and something I thought might be a good overnight solution.

How pleased have you been with your WAHM purchases (and why?) I'm happy with the one diaper that I bought, it is well made and has held up nicely

Why don't you buy more (or any) WAHM diapers? The prices. I cloth diaper to save money and I can't personally justify spending $18 for the same type of diaper I can get for $5 by buying a mass produced Chinese diaper.

Absolutely!

And can I PM you if I have further questions? Yes!
madebymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #20
BirthdayMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Almost none. Currently one wool soaker and one pair of longies.

Browsing on Etsy, saw a darling soaker. The longies were just the cheapest knit longies I could find on FSOT.

Meh. It's never been anything to write home about.

I don't want to take the risk with my tight budget. While I know some WAHMs are amazing and turn out great products, some just aren't, and there just isn't the security that there is with buying a name brand product from a company that has to stand behind their brand and that has plenty of reviews and such. Plus, whenever I browse FSOT I see a lot of WAHM dipes that just look like they were sewed by an 8th grader in home ec. That's not the kind of quality I want to put on my child. Most of them don't hold their resale value like the name brands either. I do most of my selling on craigslist, and WAHMs just don't sell as well in a non-specialty market like that.

No.

Sure.