Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #41
Catbutt Diapers
Registered Users
seller

Re: BGE worth the $

OK, here are the pictures of the detached soaker. The rise snaps are on the smallest setting, and this diaper has only been washed 8 or so times, so it isn't as shrunk as some of my others.

I seam-ripped the front part of the soaker, detaching it both from itself, and from the diaper. Just be careful at the beginning and end, as the back-stitching is really tight.

Then I took out that little line of stitching at the back part of the soaker, I left all the far back stitching in place. Poop used to get caught in the little "pocket" created by that stupid line of stitching, now it doesn't!

And now the trim shot - as the diaper is on the smallest setting I just fold the front flap back under itself, and it is still super duper trim

Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #42
addicteddad
Registered Users

We've used ours for approximately 16-18 months, pretty regularly. Not our only diapers, but they received the bulk of the use. SOme of them are more worn than others, but nearly all of them have the fabric tears people complain about, and many of the leg elastics are stretched out quite a bit.
Definitely wouldn't get 2 kids worth out of them, but I should expect that considering everything gets washed all the time.

Fwiw, my Flip covers also have loose elastic at the legs, and some of the butterfly tabs are more stretched out than others.

Can't fairly compare it to my Simplex v2s because those haven't been in the rotation nearly as long, however, 1 of them busted a snap, and another has come unstitched slightly in the back. Nothing major, though.
addicteddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #43
raisingthem4Him
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the pictures! Now I have to get the courage up to try it myself!
raisingthem4Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #44
Catbutt Diapers
Registered Users
seller

The other great thing about detaching the soakers is that they become like the Freetime in customizable absorbancy - need more in the back, fold one flap in half! Need more in the middle, kind of accordion fold one flap in the middle (if that make sense...)
Old 10-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #45
Bentley'sMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

I prefer the OS simplex as well.
Bentley'sMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #46
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaspice View Post
I don't love our Grovia aios quite as much- they don't fit as nicely on my chunky girl with a tall rise. They also have wear holes where my BGE's do not.
I could see that, with the fit.

It's interesting the different experiences with the BGEs getting holes. We had them get holes while the Grovia did not, but I've heard an internet rumor that "Made in Egypt" BGEs don't get holes as quickly.

There have been some very bad years for cotton harvests recently, which meant that diaper makers couldn't get the same grade cotton as before. I suspect diapers made in different periods wear differently. This happened with one diaper I bought, and the manufacturer apologetically explained, to use the same cotton as I bought the first time, the diaper would have to cost 6x as much!!
Old 10-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #47
meahr29
Registered Users
seller

I think I'm one of the rare few that didn't love BGE. I totally get the appeal, I just had issues with the insert folding comfortably and without causing a gap in the front. I also didn't like that they took so long to dry.
meahr29 is offline   Reply With Quote