Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #11
MrsStripe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: midwife vs. OB WWYD?

I have delivered with both and OB and a Midwife at this point. And, both experiences were great, both what I expected and wanted, and I will probably be using the OB again this time. They are both with the same practice though so it is easy for me.

Advertisement

MrsStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #12
nursenmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

I vote for ob. I've toyed with the idea of finding a midwife but it's more because the idea of a midwife makes me feel better. The truth is my ob has been excellent, makes me feel comfortable, and while is happy to perform interventions, he is also very happy to follow my wishes to be intervention free. I think if I switched at this point it's unlikely I'd be as happy with anyone as I am with him so why switch just to get a different label? It doesn't sound like this midwife is a good match for you.
nursenmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #13
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh mama, that was RUDE of her to say those things! I interviewed SEVEN midwives before deciding on one and I butted heads with most of them The good news is I love love love my midwife and cannot imagine going to anyone else. I truly look forward to our appts. You just need to find a good match.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #14
delicatefade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm jealous that you all even have the option. I want a midwife so bad it's not funny, but there is no chance of me getting one. And I don't have a Doc either.

Holland Grace is here! (14/4/2013)
delicatefade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:56 AM   #15
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hope it all works out soon for you. I would probably go back to the OB, but its hard to say because I certainly wouldn't want the bad ob on call either. A friend if mine managed to get her OB's cell phone if in case the on call doc started talking non-emergency cs (she was hoping for a vbac). He ended up coming in on a holiday weekend because she was so upset. Maybe your ob would be willing to be a little more on call with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicatefade
I'm jealous that you all even have the option. I want a midwife so bad it's not funny, but there is no chance of me getting one. And I don't have a Doc either.
Me, too! No birthing centers here. Only 2 legal midwives within hours and neither is covered by my insurance. I do have plenty of OBs or family docs to choose from though.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #16
sbadger
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The midwife is coming from fear, I would move on that is not want you seem to want.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #17
mapleleaf88
Registered Users
seller

Thanks, mamas! I just didn't know if I was being overly sensitive, but DH picked up on their lack of confidence as well.
I don't have the option to choose a different midwife though. There's only one midwifery here, and they squeezed me in by fudging my paper work to put my due date into early may since April was full. The receptionists both worked their butts off to convince the midwife to take me. it is a team of two midwives, and if one can't make it they'll send one of the other midwives, but there's a 90% chance that I'll have the same midwives for delivery that I do for care.
I'm going to wait until my next appointment, and then I'm going to talk to her admit my desire to avoid interventions, especially induction. I don't feel that risk of a big baby is a good reason to induce, especially when I know my body is more than capable of delivering a big baby.

I was shocked with the whole experience... I was so excited to have a midwife... Even my OB told me with my last pregnancy that I would be an excellent candidate since my pregnancy was so textbook and my personality so relaxed.
When I read about other mamas experiences with birth and forced interventions and rude doctors and such, and when I watched the business of being born I didn't really understand it, because I'd never had that sort of experience with my OB... But this midwife throws off the exact same vibes I get from those stories. I'm going to ask my local mom group about their experiences with her - I know that she attended my friends hb, so I'm sure she'll be able to tell me if I'm making an unfair assumption or not.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #18
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Since you can't "shop around" for other MWs, I would do just like you're thinking - go for another appointment with them, take along a list of these things that she mentioned that made you uncomfortable to hear, and see how she/they react. I think that will tell you a lot about the care they provide, and with what attitude.

On one hand, I think asking other mamas who have had experiences with them how it was is a good idea, but I also think it's a very individual thing, kwim? I know some moms, a couple quite well, who have had wonderful experiences with the local MWs. But after my own experiences I just can't trust that they will provide the care I want or need.
What I'm saying is, basically, ask around, see what other mamas have experienced with them. But don't discount your own feelings and intuitions. Even if everyone else loves them, if you don't then you should change care providers. Don't tell yourself that you have to love them cuz everyone else did/does, kwim?
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #19
UmmKira
Registered Users
seller

Are you sure there aren't any midwives practicing without an office? There are plenty of midwives that do home births and come to your home for your prenatal appointments.

When it comes down to it, go with where you feel you will get the best care. It sounds like this midwife may not be it. Could it be possible she wants you to go early so she doesn't have to worry about the fudged paperwork?

Sent from my phone using DS Forum... Typos complements of Swype

Come check out my homeschool blog!
UmmKira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #20
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'd go back to your OB if you were comfortable with their care