Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #31
mekat
Registered Users

Re: Another wwyd about school...(kids not college)

Since you said she did well last year I would talk to the school and see if switching classrooms might help. I would also speak to the teacher and to the principal about paddling without calling you first. I would exhaust my options first then I would look for alternate schools.

Do they do magnet schools in your state? That might be a possibility although you may have to home school this year and work hard on getting her grades up if they have academic requirements. Or if you always wanted to give homeschooling a try this might be the kick in your pants to give it a try. I certainly wouldn't let the situation stretch out for too long if you haven't made progress within 2 weeks it is time to pull her.

Advertisement

mekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #32
suthrnmomto3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not trolling promise. I wrote the teacher a note stating why? And also the school is not to paddle my children without calling me or their dad and they better have a good reason like beating the crap out of a kid or putting someone in the hospital$ I think I'm just gonna put them in the other school. The school has the poor us attitude so they get away with anything because we go to school in trailors til the school is rebuilt because a tornado demolished the other one. Don't get it school still isn't even worked on yet but football stuff is done and was done a month after the tornado and the tornado was april 27, 2011...
Old 10-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #33
suthrnmomto3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What is a magnet school?
Old 10-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #34
court3189
Registered Users
seller

Wow-I'm just stunned, I didn't know that they were allowed to do this anymore.

Mom to Mason (3/2003) and Maddie (11/2007) and Morgan (3/2011)
court3189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #35
mekat
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by suthrnmomto3 View Post
What is a magnet school?
A public school in your district that uses alternate education methods and/or teaches different things from the regular schools. When I lived in Florida getting your child into a magnet school was the thing and it was pretty competitive. Our county though was small so our only magnet school housed the gifted students and had all the latest technology in the classroom. Magnet schools go by school district and not zoning so if you had a magnet school in your school district and you could get your child in it was considered a step up and the next best thing to private school. As I said I'm not sure if your state or even if your district offers something like that.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:36 PM   #36
joyous
Registered Users
Formerly: erika375
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinhThiMom
Yes, they're allowed to paddle in my kids' school (small town TN). I signed a form with 3 options: they were allowed to spank, they needed to call before spanking, or they were not allowed to spank and I would come to school immediately when called (I checked that last box).
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now
We just moved from Alabama last spring. Paddling is still a legal and used in schools there.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
WHAT?? Is this real? I cannot even imagine what I would do if someone laid a hand on my child. I am in shock.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:02 AM   #37
suthrnmomto3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So I looked in the handbook and it says unless its an immediate dire need they should do a parent teacher conference or other less strategic things first...so why didn't they? First step was no recess...she has 2 and got both...I don't get this. Says if I don't allow corporal punishment then the alternative is in school suspension or out of school suspension.

We probally don't have magnet schools here our school district is sooooooooo broke because they buy state of the art football equiptment and hope to have left over or donations for education...true story at least at smithville where I live. I'm considering switching to hatley which has a crappy sports league but has awesome academics!!! Ill gladly swap good football/bad education for bad football/great education in a heartbeat. But I have to wait...they are doing 9 weeks test this week and report cards come out on the 17th...
Yeah last year my 2nd grader was in her first year of 2nd grade and the teacher literally told her and us she would fail all year!!! So she kinda stopped trying...unless I kept telling her to prove the crazy teacher wrong...she told us and her dr that brylei didn't make friend easy because she was weird and only wanted to read and was too friendly...go figure...
Old 10-11-2012, 01:05 AM   #38
suthrnmomto3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just kinda hoped this year would be better for brylei...same grade new teacher and taelyn had an awesome year last year in kinder but she hates this year...the only reason they wanna stay there they say is bc of their friends...
Old 10-11-2012, 01:27 AM   #39
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

http://www.stophitting.com/index.php?page=statesbanning

According to this, Mississippi has the highest percent of student paddled at school.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:57 AM   #40
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieSeeking
Am I in some sort of time warp?!
This!!! I haven't read all of the replies, but paddling?!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote