Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2012, 06:19 AM   #41
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Yeah, I heard a show dedicated to it on NPR a few weeks ago. I think it's mostly the south. I can't say I'm surprised because I know the culture is different down there. What has shocked me are some of the beliefs held by southern elected officials. They represent their constituency and could certainly raise it as an issue in state legislation if citizens demanded it.

Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 07:14 AM   #42
Bear Family
Registered Users
seller

Re: S/O Am I the only one that had no idea spanking was still allowed in some states?

This has been very interesting. I am still undecided if I would allow my kid to be spanked by the school. I agree with those that say if the child is that defiant and it is warranted they wouldn't have a problem with it. I also agree with no school should be spanking a child. I am glad I do not have to make this decision in reality, living in Cali I don't have to.
Bear Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:24 AM   #43
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: S/O Am I the only one that had no idea spanking was still allowed in some states?

I think it's insane...especially in 2012. I started school in 1989 and it's been illegal in Iowa since the early 80s or late 70s. We're sort of progressive like that though LOL If we moved to a hitting state heads would roll if they laid one hand on my child. My kids aren't perfect but no one is going to lay one hand on them...I don't care what their behavior is like. I'll deal with them at home.

Here they mostly do detentions or in school suspension (with in school you have to do all the normal school work you are just in the principals office the whole time, even for lunch). Out of school suspension is reserved for physically fighting...usually it's 3-5 days.

There was a private school (it was only members of this specific church that went there) and a woman whose kids used to go there told me that if their kids had to be disciplined dad had to go in and hit his kids a specific number of times (determined by the principal...the pastor of the church) in front of the pastor...but it was the parents doing it, never the pastor/principal or any teachers. Even though they're a private school they have to abide by state law.
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)

Last edited by MamaNae; 10-12-2012 at 08:25 AM.
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #44
Lauren1041
Registered Users
seller

I heard this story in NPR and live in Florida where a lot of the story came from. I was totally shocked. Especially about the fact that you can fill out a form at the start if the year either permitting or not permitting spanking of your child, but the school doesn't actually have to follow.
Lauren1041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #45
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

I was very shocked to read a thread a while back on here talking about spanking in school. Honestly it makes me sick to think about it. IDK if I'd move states over it, but I sure as stink wouldn't send my kids to a school where that happened.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #46
Only
Registered Users
Formerly: hu**rees
seller
seller

I'm surprised it's still allowed.

If someone put their hands on my child I'd beat the hell out of them. The cops would be hauling me off the school campus in hand cuffs.

Austen 06/12
Only is offline   Reply With Quote