Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
heavenlyblessedmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Will A Doula Be Part Of Your Birth?

I'm undecided on whether or not we'll be hiring a Doula this time around. Today I spoke to the Doula I'll hire if we do decide to have one. I'm out of town but when I get back my husband and I will be getting together with her and we'll see how he feels about her. He's pretty indifferent on having a Doula this time, so he's left it up to me on whether we hire one or not. I'm doubtful a Doula would even make it to my birth (my last labor was all of 3 hours long and I wasn't even at home), but I wouldn't mind having one in case there was a reason to be in a hospital, or to come following the birth to help clean up and get baby and I settled in. So we'll see =)

Advertisement

Teresa, Married To My High School Sweetheart, Dustin, Since May 30, 2007. Mother To Philip Kael, Born February 12, 2008, Marshall Conner, Born February 12, 2009, Hunter Andrew, Born March 7, 2010, Warrick Devlin, Born February 7, 2012, & Elizabeth Lorelei born May 27, 2013
heavenlyblessedmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
pingdeft
Registered Users
seller

Re: Will A Doula Be Part Of Your Birth?

Yep, this will be my first attempt at a natural childbirth (and VBAC) so I'm gonna need all the help I can get. I have put in a few emails to doula's in my area and have a meeting with one scheduled in the next few weeks.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
mamato2boyz
Formerly lyndibri
seller
seller

My Mood:
A good friend of mine who is a doula has offered to be mine. I am excited! I loved having one with my last birth especially since my midwife didn't make it. She also was a good friend and my labor was so fast my husband was busy calling the midwife and trying to get my son taken care of, I would have labored alone without her.

I also think doulas are imperative if you want a natural, hospital birth.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forumh
Old 10-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #4
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Yes. He's strong and handsome and the father of the baby. Seriously, DH is my own personal doula. He's all I need! He's really good at sensing what I need, and he's really good at doing counter-pressure and such.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:37 AM   #5
Mommyto2B2G
Registered Users
Formerly: **kau*
seller

My Mood:

mmm possibly. The problem is I am scared of the stupid hospital I have to deliver at. I've had bad experiences there and I am thinking I may just opps, and not go (I live a minute away from it anyway) or I may go when I am very close to the end. BUT, if a doula could help me advocate not to be bothered or anything I think I would go that route. I have no clue. I have a lot of research to do because with this most likely being our last I want to make sure everything goes my way. I'm probably going to be a mamazilla (like those scary bridezillas).
Mommyto2B2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:17 AM   #6
pingdeft
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Kaun View Post
mmm possibly. The problem is I am scared of the stupid hospital I have to deliver at. I've had bad experiences there and I am thinking I may just opps, and not go (I live a minute away from it anyway) or I may go when I am very close to the end. BUT, if a doula could help me advocate not to be bothered or anything I think I would go that route. I have no clue. I have a lot of research to do because with this most likely being our last I want to make sure everything goes my way. I'm probably going to be a mamazilla (like those scary bridezillas).
I'm getting a doula specifically so I can labor at home for as long as humanly possible. I don't think I could make it without one, my husband would be too nervous
Old 10-12-2012, 07:33 AM   #7
BESMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Out of my three kids, I only had a doula with my most recent one which was also my first unmedicated birth. I know I only got through it because of her. Now, however, I'm on the fence too. If I can line up the doula I had last birth, I will. If not, I don't know if I'll start over with a new one.

They are wonderful, but I'm really comfortable with the hospital and doctors we have and am confident my hubby and I can handle it.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #8
missemily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm thinking of asking my friend who has been doula-ing for a year to be mine. She is a real sweet gal who has alot of the same beliefs as I do.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #9
Scaethach
Registered Users
seller
seller

No, historically my labors have been too fast. If the midwives make it in time for this birth, they come in teams of 3 though, so that's a lot of support. (The idea is that in the event something happens that is bad, there is someone to take care of babe, someone to take care of mama, and someone to assist/call for paramedics, whatever might be required at the time). I considered it for my first since I did a planned hospital birth center under midwife care, but I still had a 2 MW team there plus the regular nurse, so I think a doula would've been too much presence in the room.
Like my Facebook! Etsy
Scaethach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #10
bcb1961
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am planning a natural hospital birth and I plan on hiring a doula. I have done a little research but haven't met with anyone yet. I haven't even seen my midwife yet, and I want to ask her if there is anyone she recommends.
bcb1961 is offline   Reply With Quote