Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-11-2012, 09:47 PM   #21
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 2y2m, talking issues - is this normal?

If you are concerned there is no harm done in calling EI and setting up an appointment.

I do however want to say that there is a huge difference in an early 2 year old and a 2 year old who is closer to 3. There is a lot of changes during the 2 year age and many kids don't explode with words until closer to 3 years of age.

Advertisement

JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:37 AM   #22
ecocentric
Registered Users
seller

As far as where to start with sign language- I'd check your library. Our local library has a lot of videos. "Signing Time" or "Baby Signing Time" are popular.
ecocentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:28 AM   #23
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrodjm View Post
No words at 2 yo is a red flag. At 2 we are looking for kids to be putting together 2-3 words sentences. The EI process is easy and free. I've provided early intervention as a special Ed teacher for years. You just call and they schedule appointments to play with you child while evaluating him. I would definitely call. Some kids start talking late and have not futher speech issues, some start late and continue to need help. By the time you know what category your child falls into, you could have lost valuable time.
I just want to clarify, he does have lots of words. But only abou two dozen. Many are understandable by others, like "ball" and "bye" and things like that are perfectly understood. Others - not so much. And he doesn't seem to be having the language explosion, nor can he really ask for what he wants. As in, he knows some of the words for what he wants, but he can't or won't ask for them so instead he tries to "talk" but it's babble, I can't understand, and he gets very frustrated.
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:09 AM   #24
Pyrodjm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
I just want to clarify, he does have lots of words. But only abou two dozen. Many are understandable by others, like "ball" and "bye" and things like that are perfectly understood. Others - not so much. And he doesn't seem to be having the language explosion, nor can he really ask for what he wants. As in, he knows some of the words for what he wants, but he can't or won't ask for them so instead he tries to "talk" but it's babble, I can't understand, and he gets very frustrated.
Thanks for clarifying. If you tell him the word for the things he wants he doesn't repeat it right ? I would contact EI especially since he is getting frustrated by not being able to communicate.
Pyrodjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:44 AM   #25
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrodjm View Post
Thanks for clarifying. If you tell him the word for the things he wants he doesn't repeat it right ? I would contact EI especially since he is getting frustrated by not being able to communicate.
Sometimes he will. Other times he's so excited I've finally guessed the right thing that he does a little victory dance and chant. But he is trying. "Sippy" is one he has trouble with for some reason, maybe the s? So he won't really ask for it if he's thristy. Most times if I say, do you want your sippy or are you thirsty he'll do his victory dance and chant. But just now, he did repeat "ippy!" so it depends.

He can be prompted if he's distracted to say things, and othertimes he'll say it on his own (like when DH goes to work at night, he tells him goodbye, I love you" and DS will usually on his own say, "bye! I too"

My biggest source of our frustration is that he doesn't seem to have many words that he gains quickly, and that he generally can't (won't?) outright ask for something. He won't come up and ask for a sippy, or say he's hungry. He's not shy at all, he's super active and outgoing and he THINKS he's talking. I really believe he thinks he's talking. But then he'll just whine and fuss and point into the kitchen (we have a gate up between living room and kitchen) and try to babble at me in non-words. Then he gets frustrated that I don't know what he wants, and he melts down.

Last edited by Mom2Connor; 10-12-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #26
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

From what you've been describing, yes I'd get him evaluated. My oldest didn't talk really at all until JUST before her 2nd birthday, so that alone doesn't bother me, it's the tantrums and the fact that he's trying to communicate and it's not working that would get me to get someone else's help. DD1 never did that, she just wasn't interested in talking until all of a sudden she was. She started paying attention and trying to talk about this time of year and then by Christmas she had dozens of words and was trying them out all the time.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #27
Tordreamer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Signing uses is a great way to encourage communication now! It will not delay talking at all, so don't be concerned about that! Signing works the same area of the brain as talking since communication is communication. It is a wonderful bridge for late talkers. Google "Baby Signs" or look at your local library for baby signs books.

You also should really, really look into a screening for Early Intervention. The earlier you can get a child services, the better. A typical 2 year old has 100 words working toward 300 by 2 1/2. Language delays also begin to affect other areas of development. I teach early childhood special education for a school district in Virginia. Every state does EI differently. In most states, you should start looking for information on early childhood screenings on your local school district's website. Some states, however, have separate agencies that handle EI screenings. What state are you in? I may be able to help you figure out where to start.
Tordreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #28
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

When it comes to talking, I am usually one of the ones stressing the "all kids are different, you should wait it out", but not this time. At his age, your description causes me concern. This is especially true because he is getting frustrated. I would contact EI and get him evaluated.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #29
Sarawithouth
Registered Users
seller
seller

Tl;dr but my nephew is 26 months and does the same as your kid. Babbles, says a few incoherent hard to make out words. The pediatrician isn't worried, the parents were initially but aren't now. They don't seem to talk to him much - more about him, if that makes sense. I do signing time with my 18 month old and it's helped with her communication skills. She was an early babble though.

Sunny due in October!

We're a breastfeedin', babywearin', vax delayin', un-circumcisin', cloth diaperin', bedsharin', home birthin', atheist family from Texas!
Sarawithouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #30
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

You should call your local regional center for an evaluation. They can set up therapies as well as EI. I hope you have a good one in your area. Ours is wonderful. Our previous one was a nightmare (months to get an eval, months to get a file transfer).

In the meantime can you make picture charts for your DS to use? We have them all over. For example, on the fridge we have a food chart, so DS can point to what he wants. It helps while they are learning to talk. . Maybe I can get a pic up later!

Last edited by *Peanut*; 10-13-2012 at 12:17 PM.
*Peanut* is offline   Reply With Quote