Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

kid's clothing sizes are confusing me!

I know someone else can help me with this...

So, my DD just grew out of her 5t stuff. And so I was thinking she would be in a size 6. But, no that stuff is too big. So she's now in a 4/5 (or XS) in the little girl's section?

Now DS needs new dress pants, the 4t pants are WAY too short, but the 5t pants are too tight around his waist. So we should go to a 4/5 (XS) in little boys, am I right? But those still seem a tad short (but fit fine on the waist), yet the 6s are way WAY too big.

Why wouldn't the numbers go 4, 5, 6 ? Why 4t, 5t, 4, 5, 6.... ? Am I missing something?

And if there IS a difference between 4t and 4 and 5t and 5, why are things listed for sale (not just here but on ebay and other places) as 5/5t? or 4/4t? It has to be one or the other... right? I am so confused by this sizing.

Oh, and I just ran into something size 6t? What in the world?

Advertisement

Last edited by Kiliki; 10-15-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #2
argecash
Registered Users

Re: kid's clothing sizes are confusing me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post

So, my DD just grew out of her 5t stuff. And so I was thinking she would be in a size 6. But, no that stuff is too big. So she's now in a 4/5 (or XS) in the little girl's section?

Now DS needs new dress pants, the 4t pants are WAY too short, but the 5t pants are too tight around his waist. So we should go to a 4/5 (XS) in little boys, am I right? But those still seem a tad short (but fit fine on the waist), yet the 6s are way WAY too big.

Why wouldn't the numbers go 4, 5, 6 ? Why 4t, 5t, 4, 5, 6.... ? Am I missing something?

And if there IS a difference between 4t and 4 and 5t and 5, why are things listed for sale (not just here but on ebay and other places) as 5/5t? or 4/4t? It has to be one or the other... right? I am so confused by this sizing.

I am confused too!! DS1 outgrew his 4t stuff, so I went ahead and ordered size 5/6 things, but they were huge. So, I figured out that he is in either 5t or 4 (xs). I think the toddler sizes (4t, 5t) are shorter but have a larger waist, Whereas, the child sizes (4, 5, 6) are longer and smaller in the waist. You might have to try a few brands to find the one that fits right.

I have never heard of 6t! I would just pretend you never saw that!
Old 10-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am pretty sure the T stuff is cut for diapers. At least that is how Gymboree is because my daughter is in 3 in the kids section and not 3T in the baby girl section. I am not sure on the bigger sizes though
Old 10-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
chello
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm no help, DD1 is outgrowing her 5t stuff and I'm lost for what she goes into next!
Old 10-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Your daughter would probably be going into a 5 in the girls section, yes.

For your son, try to find a size 5. Not a 4/5, just a 5.

I have never heard of a 6T, so don't know what to tell you about that one.

Oh, and the reason for the different sizing is that the T sizes are supposed to fit over diapers or pull-ups and the others are usually a bit slimmer.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep the T is cut chunkier to fit over diapers and to fit a toddler body which has a chunkier middle area and shorter legs. the non toddler sizes fit growing kids- waist slimming and legs getting longer. A toddler has a very different body then a child- their legs are usually around the same length as their torso and their bellies are usually the biggest part of them. But a child has legs much longer then their torso and bellies are more proportion to the rest of their bodies- kwim?

You may want to try a 5 or 5 slim with adjustable waist for you ds. You'll get the length but the slim will take a good deal of excess size from the middle. The adjustable waist should take care of the rest.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:

t = Toddler size. Toddler sizes are made for toddlers, who's body's tend to be shorter and wider (you know, that adorable toddler potbelly)

Sizes without the t are children's sizes, made to be longer and skinnier.

Different brands also make things differently, so they may where different sizes in different brands.

At least this is what I was told by an employee at the Carters store.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

thanks mamas.

I wish there was a "how to be a mommy" handbook somewhere with all this (previously useless to me!)valuable information in it somewhere!

I am still confused, but I supposed that is b/c I am equating the numbers to ages. Like why would a 5 yr old need a toddler size? A 5 yr old is NOT a toddler... and I'd bet my left arm that 95% (or more) 5 y/os (who are not special needs) are toilet trained... so why would ANY 5 y/o need extra space for a diaper or trainer??

But maybe that is just my hang up on the number part?

So, to clarify, a 4t is for a 4 yr old still in a pull up, and a size 4 is for a 4 yr old who is a kid who is toilet trained... right?
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #9
argecash
Registered Users

Quote:
thanks mamas.

I wish there was a "how to be a mommy" handbook somewhere with all this (previously useless to me!)valuable information in it somewhere!

I am still confused, but I supposed that is b/c I am equating the numbers to ages. Like why would a 5 yr old need a toddler size? A 5 yr old is NOT a toddler... and I'd bet my left arm that 95% (or more) 5 y/os (who are not special needs) are toilet trained... so why would ANY 5 y/o need extra space for a diaper or trainer??

So, to clarify, a 4t is for a 4 yr old still in a pull up, and a size 4 is for a 4 yr old who is a kid who is toilet trained... right?
I think it is more by size than age. DS2 turned 3 last week and he is in 4T clothes.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #10
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki
thanks mamas.

My 2 year old is in 4t, the numbers don't necessarily coincide with age.

That's the only useful thing I can add to this thread.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote