Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #31
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: S/o How often do you change

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyful mother View Post
Sorry to offend you. I was just mentioning this as I once was a young mom and would feel bad when I heard/read others referring to what I did as wrong. I figure there could be a mom who like me have had frequent peers and they shouldn't feel bad that they couldn't seem to keep up and their kids buts are doing fine with what they are doing. I did have one child who could not handle wet for very long at all. Luckily he was my only one in diapers at the time (older 3 were potty trained) I had him without a cover and because he was my velcro baby I knew immediately when he peed. It was not a decision based on sanitary but for his personal health needs. He also got a rash from a wet shirt from drool, so we had rubber backed bibs on him that we changed frequently. Every mom needs to do what is best for her family without being made to feel they are unsanitary or dirty.
I never called anyone unsanitary or dirty Trust me, I totally get being a young mom (had my first at 22) and feeling bad when reading boards like this. But that shouldn't stop people from stating their opinion. I wasn't rude at all, nor did I call anyone any names or judge them, I stated my opinion on how often I changed my children's diapers. As a mother who has children with sensative skin (we carry the red-head gene and one is a red-head, and another has mild sensory processing disorder) I feel it is sanitary for *my* kids to change their diaper every time they pee. I was not projecting that on anyone else, I was stating my reasons for changing the diapers frequently, which are sanitary reasons for us.

Advertisement

JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #32
MariaLA
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
We also change every 2-3 hours unless I notice they are dirty. Sometimes I go to change DD thinking, "omg her diaper must be LOADED!" (as in super wet) ... and it's bone dry. Other times, I think "I JUST changed her, I'm sure she's fine." Then I pick her up and her diaper is totally full.

We just do what works for us. I don't clock watch.
This is us too. My 22 month old gets changed 3 or 4 times between changing out of his wake up diaper and into his night diaper. So an average schedule would be 7am, 930, 1230, 4pm, 7pm, but it really isn't about the clock.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:18 PM   #33
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

These sort of posts always get a bit heated.

I actually change DD more often when she's in a sposie because you can feel and smell things pretty much immediately. Cloth hides pee smell... you know, until it sits in the wet bag for more than a couple hours.
hbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #34
Jedimomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I change every 2-3 hours or when she's poopy. If I know she's wet, I'll change her then too, but I don't check that real often. Usually go through 8ish diapers a day.

I love TRADES!
Jedimomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #35
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

My 2yo has always held his pee a LONG time. Even overnight. I don't change every hour, and it is rare that he would wet that often. I change poops right away, but I'm sure he sometimes pees well before I change him if he is in a pocket. He lets me know he's wet (or stinky) if it's a fitted or prefold (most of the time it is). At home i never knowingly let him stay wet. If we are getting groceries or something, and he's not complaining or stinky, I wait to change him or even check him until we get home.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #36
listalees
Registered Users
seller

I'm with JennTheMomma. My girls have to be changed every time they are wet. I check them constantly. On the occasion that I have been out and about and decided to wait until I returned home, they have had horrible rashes that took days to heal. We use cloth, wash only in rockin' green. Their skin is just too sensitive to be wet for any period of time. I don't know about whether it is unsanitary for them to be wet, but it certainly doesn't work for their skin.
And yes, i do agree with others that with this kind of diaper changing schedule, it is difficult to get much done. My life is mainly taken up with putting things in one end and catching them as they come out the other, with snuggles in between. I'm exaggerating, but it is intense. They are currently potty training and I am hoping that ODD will be completely done before my 4th comes along because I just don't think there is enough time in the day to manage the discharge of 3 people

Last edited by listalees; 10-11-2012 at 08:47 PM.
listalees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #37
BSWmama
Registered Users
seller

I probably only go through 5-6 diapers a day on my 24 month old. He wears a disposable all night, and generally poops once a day, maybe twice. If we are out for a couple hours - playdate, library, grocery, whatever - I don't change him unless he's pooped. I suppose I am probably not changing with every pee, but he has never been rashy or fussy about being wet and we only use prefolds and flats...so it works for us.
BSWmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #38
joyful mother
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by listalees View Post
I'm with JennTheMomma. My girls have to be changed every time they are wet. I check them constantly. On the occasion that I have been out and about and decided to wait until I returned home, they have had horrible rashes that took days to heal. We use cloth, wash only in rockin' green. Their skin is just too sensitive to be wet for any period of time. I don't know about whether it is unsanitary for them to be wet, but it certainly doesn't work for their skin.
And yes, i do agree with others that with this kind of diaper changing schedule, it is difficult to get much done. My life is mainly taken up with putting things in one end and catching them as they come out the other, with snuggles in between. I'm exaggerating, but it is intense. They are currently potty training and I am hoping that ODD will be completely done before my 4th comes along because I just don't think there is enough time in the day to manage the discharge of 3 people
To the first bolded that was my point it's not a matter of sanitary measures but finding what works for your kids. Being loving and caring for your kids and taking care of their needs whatever that may be and that is not the same for all of us. Having a MIL who makes others feel like they are filthy people because they don't do things just like she does may have made me a little protective of how mom's feel and helping them not feel inadequate.

To the second bolded that's the point I came to when I had my second kiddo.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #39
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I change as often as I know it's soiled. 6-8x a day for awhile. Sometimes less.

I don't use cloth for costs though, I use it to avoid filling landfills.

Either way, it's more cost effective. I have about 30 diapers and I could go 3-4 days without washing them if needed. And every time you change a sposie, you throw it away.

Prolly not for those mamas who have like 100 diapers though. Or who sell between babies. There's no way that is cost effective.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #40
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Oh, it's usually every 2 hours unless there's a poop.