Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
BunnysMama
Registered Users

Can we talk about Baby Powder?

Before DD1 was born we were told by the nurse not to use baby powder. We never did. DD2 comes along and we had major recurring diaper rash issues. I tried everything, all the CD safe creams, even tried making my own, and nothing had any impact on her rash, nothing made it any better. I finally tried baby powder and she's been completely rash free for two weeks. I am kind of feeling like its the underdog miracle rash cure.

Now I know there are all kinds of studies about Talc getting inhaled and causing issues. But honestly, any reasonably intelligent person can get powder on babies bum without making a puff of powder in baby's face. And you can always just buy talc free powders.

I also know corn starch can feed yeast, so you can't use it on a yeast infection. Fine.

Fuzibunz website says powder is CD safe and recommends it as an alternative to creams. Has anyone had any experience with powder causing issues with cloth?

So I am just feeling like powder is this amazing rash cure that no one uses, lol. what am I missing? It seems so obvious... Do others use powder and I'm just clueless and behind?

Advertisement

BunnysMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
FriedaT
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnysMama
Before DD1 was born we were told by the nurse not to use baby powder. We never did. DD2 comes along and we had major recurring diaper rash issues. I tried everything, all the CD safe creams, even tried making my own, and nothing had any impact on her rash, nothing made it any better. I finally tried baby powder and she's been completely rash free for two weeks. I am kind of feeling like its the underdog miracle rash cure.

Now I know there are all kinds of studies about Talc getting inhaled and causing issues. But honestly, any reasonably intelligent person can get powder on babies bum without making a puff of powder in baby's face. And you can always just buy talc free powders.

I also know corn starch can feed yeast, so you can't use it on a yeast infection. Fine.

Fuzibunz website says powder is CD safe and recommends it as an alternative to creams. Has anyone had any experience with powder causing issues with cloth?

So I am just feeling like powder is this amazing rash cure that no one uses, lol. what am I missing? It seems so obvious... Do others use powder and I'm just clueless and behind?
We used to use talc powder for every change when my DD was a newbie and in sposies. We always sprinkled it in the diaper and then went to change her so it was never poured out near her. You could also pour it in your hand and wipe it on your LO's skin. I don't often, but I have used it with cloth and haven't had an issue.

ETA: I won't use cornstarch based powder or plain cornstarch because my DD is prone to yeast. So talc all the way for us!

Last edited by FriedaT; 10-11-2012 at 06:29 AM.
FriedaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Can we talk about Baby Powder?

I use plain talic based baby powder with every cahnge and it does a fantastic job of keeping her dry and rash free gobs better than corn starched based and yea no cloud to inhale.. I just shake a little on her but unless I'm squeezing the bottle there is no dust cloud.
I use a talc based with zinc if she does get a bit rashy and that also works pretty fast.

Deanna

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
Formerly: sgoe***
seller
seller

My Mood:

I buy the baby powder that is 100% talc for my CORN allergic child and use it with every single diaper change. I actually coat the suedecloth in powder AND put it on his bum. He is extremely allergic to everything (literally) and this is the only way his skin can tolerate being diapered.

TeachinAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
mjdesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We use betonite clay based powder by a company called Redmond. It is a miracle powder that is not talc or cornstarch based. I can't speak enough praises about it. We bought it at Whole Foods but i believe it is cheaper online.

here are some info links:
http://www.redmondclay.com/products/...y-baby-powder/
http://www.redmondclay.com/why-does-redmond-clay-work/
mjdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I was told like 8 yrs ago not to use scented stuff and powder and that was even for d'sposies. I use sween cream though and not just bottom stuff. I use on red noses in winter and dry skin, and irritated skin, and light burns.
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #7
MommyZ of 2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I saw a thread about powder being great on here and have it a try. I love it and have used it everyday since! I think ours is corn starch based, thats what we had. It helps so much and my lo (2yrs) likes it, too. He asks for it by saying, "feels good?", when I'm changing him and points to it on the shelf. It's been a few weeks, and I haven't had washing issues either.
MommyZ of 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #8
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I use baby powder at every change. Talc really is nasty stuff though, I'd personally stay away from it and use something with cornstarch or arrowroot powder as a base.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #9
Happy Mommax4
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
This may sound dumb but I have issues putting that on a very sensitive and highly absorbable (not even a word or the rt word) area of my child. I thought there were studies years ago linking baby powder to increased gyn ca?
Old 10-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #10
mars817
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was using it and it did help his redness but since I could smell it when I put it on him I figured he was inhaling it so stopped. He had breathing problems and I'm not wanting to risk it. I don't know how problematic it is in reality. I was using JJ cornstarch kind.
mars817 is offline   Reply With Quote