Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen for fever?

Is it possible for kids to respond better with one than the other?

My DD had some little bug last week, had a moderate fever (103+) and cold symptoms (sore throat, headache, stuffy nose) for 2 days and then got better. I gave her acetaminophen to keep it down (so she could be comfortable, she was miserable, poor baby ) and it worked fine.

Now DS has it (I presume it's the same thing, it seems like it at least) but he isn't responding as well to the Acetaminophen. It seems like I remember last time he was sick, I needed to give him Ibuprofen to help with fever b/c he didn't really respond much to Acetaminophen. (it was a while ago, he doesn't get sick often)

I'm not super worried, he's ok. But I think he would have more relief with Ibuprofen. (he's SO miserable, poor thing! ) Before I go out and buy a huge bottle of children's Ibuprofen, though (meds are expensive!), I just want to know if this is all in my head... can people respond better to one fever reducer over the other? I mean I would think so, the logical side of me says, "yes, duh! All ppl are different!" But the sleep deprived part says, "You're an idiot. Go get your son what he needs so he can sleep tonight and you are not up 6 times in the night like last night."

Advertisement

Last edited by Kiliki; 10-15-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen for fever?

IDK but I have the same issue with my oldest. Tylenol does very little for him. If we wanted to bring down a fever or help pain, only Ibuprofen would work. Our Ped. said that was normal and to just use the IB if it worked better for him.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
m0mof6
Registered Users

My Mood:
My kids def. respond differently. Some of them use Tylenol for fever and ibuprofen for pain cause that's what works for them and others are the opposite. I have 1 that it doesn't matter but the others all need a specific one. (I have 6 as my name suggests). I always have to ask DH who which works for as I never remember.

Hope he feels better soon.
m0mof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
mekat
Registered Users

Tylenol doesn't work for me. I might as well be taking sugar pills. With my son it works but there isn't much difference. Motrin though works great for both of us.

The difference isn't just in my head. I have had to take him to the ER several times and no matter how many times I tell the doctors he won't respond to Tylenol that is always what they give him and it never works.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Tylenol is a joke for us. Never works. We always buy motrin for pain and fevers if they are high enough and miserable.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #6
joyful mother
Registered Users
seller
seller

It's not in your head. As another mom of 6 (and ktmelody has 7) we definitely have different ones that respond differently to different things. I even have one that can be in horrible pain but she spits out anything you give her so I sneak it into the clear Gatorade . This is why I keep Gatorade with the ibuprofen, which is what she responds to. I even had one that responded best to alternating the 2. Kids (big sigh), as soon as you think you have them figured out you get a different variety. I guess it keeps us on our toes.

Last edited by joyful mother; 10-15-2012 at 04:27 PM.
joyful mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #7
argecash
Registered Users

Our ped. told us not to use acetaminophen. It is believed to increase risk for asthma ( http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/20/health/evidence-mounts-linking-acetaminophen-and-asthma.html?_r=0).

We have only used it a couple of times when just ibuprofen every 6 hours wasn't enough. In those cases we alternated about every 3-4 hours.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #8
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We prefer ibuprofen here. It lasts longer and helps with inflammation too, which helps with sore throats during colds.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

Definitely possible. Ds2 doesn't respond to tylenol at all, but Motrin brings a fever down immediately.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #10
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

yes, they respond differently. We don't use tylenol here, we prefer ibuprofen.