Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #31
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: Unsupervised Bathing

Our house is tiny. I am never far from the bathroom, and you have to pass by the bathroom to get to any of the bedrooms.

I started around 18 mos doing it comfortably. Earlier (when they can sit by themselves and are not wobbly or anything - probably 12 mos?) for "emergencies" like DS or DD got into something and NEEDED me immediately, I'd run, stabilize the situation, and go right back to the tub.

I usually fill the tub up to the top of their legs (so maybe 2-3 inches of water?), let them play a bit, then wash them and take them out.

Advertisement

Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:39 AM   #32
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Yeah exactly with the noise...yes they could fall and slip and go under water, but if you are truely that close, you'll hear the fall, splash, and then silence. The people that have kids drown past the point of revival have left them in the water in silence so long that there's no hope of revival. My DS is never silent in the tub, he chatters and plays and responds if I call out to him. If he was quiet for more than a couple seconds I would run right in.
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #33
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

I clean the bathroom while my twins take their bath. I've been doing this since they were about 20months old. I don't leave the bathroom (unless for just a second like to grab diapers/clothes from the dresser) but I'm not watching them non-stop. I might be on the other side of a dividing wall, but still in the same room with them the whole time. If I hear anything that sounds suspicious I check on them otherwise I just peep my head over to them every 30 seconds or so while I'm cleaning up.
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:44 AM   #34
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When they were 4 and 2 (they bathe together) I started leaving them alone in the tub. However our house is very small and I can see right into the bathroom and the tub from my kitchen island. And now at 5 and 3 I rarely am in there with them.

they get play bathes so they are in there for a good 30 min to an hour. I can get a lot done. I have to walk by the bathroom to get to any other room and can hear them from every room.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:47 AM   #35
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke789 View Post
I clean the bathroom while my twins take their bath. I've been doing this since they were about 20months old. I don't leave the bathroom (unless for just a second like to grab diapers/clothes from the dresser) but I'm not watching them non-stop. I might be on the other side of a dividing wall, but still in the same room with them the whole time. If I hear anything that sounds suspicious I check on them otherwise I just peep my head over to them every 30 seconds or so while I'm cleaning up.
That is a super good idea. I might do that just to get my bathroom cleaned more often.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #36
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38
I'm seldom the one playing fast & loose, but I guess I am on this one. I started leaving DD so I could grab something (phone, drink, etc.), then progressively longer to change my clothes in the next room or put laundry away for a couple of minutes in DD's room (across the hall) or my own (next door) when she was around 18 mos or so...but even still, it's frequently punctuated by me hollering at her, "let me hear you sing!" I trust her to bathe alone safely, the only reason I don't do so is b/c of the inevitable water mess
Me too. I stay upstairs but I'll sit in the rocker in DD's room (the bathroom is btwn the two bedrooms) or put away laundry.
Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:57 AM   #37
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

By 3, DD was allowed to bathe alone. I am only a few steps away and could hear her the whole time. I started stepping out to grab something by 2.5.

DS started bathing alone much younger (1.5-2ish) b/c he was with DD and they would shout for anything. The additional response time for me to be out of the room was less than 3 sec (our bathroom is centrally located, the house is not huge, and I am just in the next room folding clothes). They also call if they need to get out.

I make sure to keep the water level appropriate for the younger child, check in often, and make them talk to me if it gets quiet (otherwise I go running in case of drowning).
Old 10-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #38
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
Formerly: sgoe***
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm in the tiny house crew.

Here's what bathtime looks like for my 14 month old & almost 3 yo.

Run the water, kids get in, I check the temp & turn the water off. Quickly wash the kids while the water is warm. (Only one kid at a time in the tub.)

Then, they get to play for 5-10 minutes. While they are playing I go back & forth between the bathroom, their bedroom, and my bedroom or the living room (depending on where I'll be getting them dressed), preparing their pajamas & medicines.

DH is normally also checking on them & working on his computer directly across the hall from the bathroom.

If they stop talking/splashing we know they are probably standing or trying to get out on their own, in which case we go get them. Up and down our hall is only 10 paces, with the bathroom in the middle...so we're never far away.

TeachinAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:05 AM   #39
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I let my 2 (will be 3 in January) bathe with his 4 (almost 5) year old sister or his 7 year old brother...have since he was a new 2. The water is never that deep. Never been an issue. I also let the 2 year old bathe (play in the tub) semi-unattended and alone so long as I'm just in the kitchen...our bathroom is off the kitchen.

My kids tend to be really noisy in the tub and if I'm just in the kitchen I can pop in and make sure they're not drowning every so often.

Anyway, unattended for short little bursts, 18 months or so. Unattended for longer periods of time 2 years or so.
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #40
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

By between 2 and 2 1/2 I start going in our bedroom to fold laundry or something like that. But I can stand by our bed and see in the bathroom and I see everything they are up to and they still talk to me. By 3ish I'll go run and grab something fro. The living room really quick but I hang out in our bedroom for the most part.

I don't know when I'll stop supervising all together. I've always had a little one in the tub with the bigger kids so the girls have been superivsed longer than ds will be by default.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote