Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #61
OneFishTwoFish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Unsupervised Bathing

DS was probably 3 when I felt comfortable leaving him for a couple of minutes. I would wash him up and then let him play while I put laundry away or made the bed. Our bedrooms and bathroom are all off the same short hallway so it's super close. I would normally be talking to him while he played and I did my thing.

That being said, he KNEW not to stand up. He could swim the long length of the indoor pool at the gym with no swim devices. I wasn't worried about drowning. Just him standing, slipping and smacking his head!

Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 06:29 PM   #62
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't leave my 5 year old, 4 year old or 20 month old in the bath unsupervised for longer than it takes me to grab something from the next room.

I would be fine with the 5 and 4 year old in there with me right outside the door in the dining room, but I would still pop in every minute or so just to check up on them.

The only reason I leave my 20 month old for a second to grab something is that I know her brothers will start screaming "Elise is standing up!" if she even looks like she might. I would definitely not leave her alone in the tub at all out of worry that she would stand, try to climb out or slip in the tub.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #63
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I do "lifeguard" duty.

My 5 and 3year old bath is my big bath. Sometimes I out my 1 yr old with them. If I am not in there dh is and vice versa.

I think my paranoa with water stems from my lifeguarding days. I don't like to mess around with water and slippery things.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:12 PM   #64
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Not until they can swim comfortably. And even then, not until at least 5. I believe I didn't bathe alone until I was 6 or 7

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #65
cbreeding
Registered Users

I have a 5yo, 3yo, and 1yo. Since they usually bathe all together, one of us adults need to be in the bathroom. If it is just the 5yo and/or 3yo, I am okay with going out and in - like putting clothes away in their room (next door to the bathroom), sticking my head in to check on them.

The 5yo will occasionally shower by herself. During a shower, I don't feel the need to supervise but she is kind of loud by herself-singing and making up silly rhymes.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #66
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Mine are almost 6 and 4 and they are with in earshot at all times. I pop in after it's quiet for more than a few seconds [which it never is! lol] Our home is small 600ish sq. ft and a perfect square. The bathroom is less than 6 ft from any room in any direction so I can hear them all over. And like other PP they are so not quite!
Old 10-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #67
Newton
Registered Users

My DD is 4 today and I go in the shower with her (in my bathing suit). When she wa taking bathes I stayed with her. Not sure when I will feel comfortable stepping out?
Old 10-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #68
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton
My DD is 4 today and I go in the shower with her (in my bathing suit). When she wa taking bathes I stayed with her. Not sure when I will feel comfortable stepping out?
Do you wear a bathing suit because you don't want your daughter to see you nude?
Old 10-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #69
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My youngest has been bathing or playing in the tub alone since 18 mths but the bathroom is next to the living room and the area is open so I had good view the entire time.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #70
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have a 2.5 and almost 5 year old. They are only unsupervised when I take their clothes to the laundry or get their pajamas out for the night. My almost 5 year old would probably be fine by herself, but it still makes me uncomfortable if she's in there alone.