Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
dancingingrace
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Leaking poop with prefolds?

This is my first time EBFing, and also my first time using cloth on a newborn. I use prefolds under grovias and flips, and I use a snappi. Is it normal for the poop to leak out and get on the cover most of the time? My DD is a little over 3 wks old. I'll admit that I'm not a pro at getting the prefolds on with the snappi, I always just trifolded with my oldest DD b/c it was faster and I got frustrated with trying to get the prefold on properly. Even though it takes me a few minutes to get it, it seems like I have it on the right way, but I don't know if it needs to be tighter at her legs? If so, I'm not sure I can get it any tighter. I'm currently using GMD oranges with her. Also, I've only had 1 single poo leak with disposables with her, and that was just barely up her back, not out the legs. Am I doing something wrong, or is this typical??

Advertisement

dancingingrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
mom2corag
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Leaking poop with prefolds?

Try using a different fold. I liked the bikini twist with my dd, and it seemed to keep the leaks happening less frequently. Especially if you aren't as experienced with fastening, you will have more leak out of the prefold than you would a fitted with elastic at the waist and legs.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

There is a way to get prefolds on so they don't leak onto the cover. Sometimes even the BEST folds don't contain it all, but its possible to avoid lots of leaking onto the cover if you get a nice snug fit.
The best advice I can give you is a little trick I found to get the prefold on baby really well, and that is to make sure you take care to get baby's leg down horizontal and straight when you pull up the tabs from the rear to the front of the diaper and secure it. If their legs are all tucked up, its hard to get a tight fit around the thigh. These videos might help.

Last edited by mariamommy; 11-29-2012 at 09:02 PM.
mariamommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have found that I can get a much more snug fit using pins rather than a snappi.
We didn't start cloth with dd until she was 3 months old and I used cheap pockets before I found that prefolds are cheaper and last longer. So far for this turkey that's coming in a few weeks all I have are a dozen infant pf's that I'm hoping I can get a good fit on so I can just supplement with disposables while I wash.
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
srw.mutter
Registered Users
seller
seller

We used prefolds at birth to 5-6 months. Jellyroll fold is great for containing ebf poops because it has a little bump barrier at the legs (and if you have to fold over for length, another bump at the back). During that whole time, we probably had poop on the cover less than 5 times.
I find that after folding, to get it tight around the legs, you have to first pull up (towards the head), then fold to the middle to pin/snappi (I only used snappis at that time).
srw.mutter is offline   Reply With Quote