Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
lisaells
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
need to RF a convertible behind pass seat

My 9 month old is almost out of his infant seat and I need convertible recommendations. He needs to be behind the pass. seat in a 07 subaru forester, which are surprisingly tiny back seats...so I'm looking for something that is small front to back. I've read that the britax marathon or roundabout are small options. Anyone care to weigh in?

Many thanks!

Advertisement

lisaells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
jess71903
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: need to RF a convertible behind pass seat

I *think Radians like Suburus, and with an angle adjuster, it should take up little space. What infant seat do you have in there now?

Gage is Redefining Spina Bifida
jess71903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
lisaells
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Snugride 22
Old 10-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

The Britax seats should work well (Roundabout 55, Marathon 70, Boulevard 70, Pavilion 70CS, Advocate 70CS). They all have the same size shell and are quite compact, front-to-back. The only thing you have to watch out for is the Britax seats at Target (Roundabout 50 and Classic Marathon), because those are the previous "generation" of Britax seats and they take up more front-back space. (They still might fit, though.)

If you live anywhere near a Babies R Us, Buy Buy Baby, or other baby store with a good selection of car seats, you can usually try the seats right in your car and see what fits (and also what you like!).
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
lisaells
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
The Britax seats should work well (Roundabout 55, Marathon 70, Boulevard 70, Pavilion 70CS, Advocate 70CS). They all have the same size shell and are quite compact, front-to-back. The only thing you have to watch out for is the Britax seats at Target (Roundabout 50 and Classic Marathon), because those are the previous "generation" of Britax seats and they take up more front-back space. (They still might fit, though.)

If you live anywhere near a Babies R Us, Buy Buy Baby, or other baby store with a good selection of car seats, you can usually try the seats right in your car and see what fits (and also what you like!).
Thanks! This is helpful. I can't easily get to a BRU, but Amazon has free shipping and free returns, so I'll go ahead and order a Marathon I think!
Old 10-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #6
lilychic4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you haven't ordered yet, I'd like to add a Graco Size4Me to the short list. The shell is 4" taller and the top harness height is nearly an inch higher so the seat will fit your child years longer than a Britax seat.

The Size4Me (aka MySize70 at BRU/TRU) is 24-28" deep front to back depending on the angle of install and edmunds.com imdicates your back seat is 33.7" leg room, so you should be able to install the seat with the passenger seat all the way back, no problem.

Happy shopping!
lilychic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
busyteacher
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilychic4 View Post
If you haven't ordered yet, I'd like to add a Graco Size4Me to the short list. The shell is 4" taller and the top harness height is nearly an inch higher so the seat will fit your child years longer than a Britax seat.

The Size4Me (aka MySize70 at BRU/TRU) is 24-28" deep front to back depending on the angle of install and edmunds.com imdicates your back seat is 33.7" leg room, so you should be able to install the seat with the passenger seat all the way back, no problem.

Happy shopping!
I second the My Size 70. My LO is 5 months and 18 lbs and he fits great. I love the 3 position recline so I don't have to use rolled up towels or pool noodles to get the correct angle. Also the harness adjuster is fantastic.
busyteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:58 PM   #8
brigala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How is your child built? If the child is short overall, then I think a Britax Roundabout 55 is a good choice. In Subarus, I like to go "ease of install" as much as possible. But if the child is taller (whether that's torso or legs) I'd go for something else. The Roundabout has a relatively short shell and very little leg room for RF.

Another thing to consider is how long you plan to RF. If you're going for the recommended minimum of 2 years, even if your child is relatively tall, the Britax seats should be fine. My daughter is 25 months old and in the 95th percentile for height and still fits fine RF in her Roundabout 55, with room to grow. However, since I want to keep her RF until as close to age 4 as I can, it's not a long-term car seat for her at all.

If the child is tall and slender, however, I might recommend a First Years True Fit. Also very easy to install, can be put in fairly upright to save front-to-back room (and may be able to still be used without the head rest for a little while longer depending on your child's size).

The Size4Me aka MySize is also worth considering. You should be able to actually try it out in your car at Babies R Us. Make sure you actually install it; seats take up less room once they're tightened down than they do when they're just sitting on the seat. Unless it interferes with your vehicle's advanced air bag sensors, the My Size can also gently touch the front seats. Most other car seats cannot (Britax can, and Diono Radians can touch or even press on the front seats).
brigala is online now   Reply With Quote