Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

How do Carter's baby clothes fit?

Specifically, their one-piece rompers?

My 11-month-old is around 21 pounds and 28" and very round in the middle. I ordered her some 12-18 month rompers from Old Navy and Gymboree. By their size charts, she should be on the large end of 6-12 month or just barely into 12-18 month.

The ON fit beautifully after they shrunk in the wash, with just maybe an inch of extra length in the leg and crotch, but I am worried they will be outgrown before spring. I am scared to wash the Gymbo ones for fear they will do the same and can't be returned. I found Carters online and they look cute, but I can't figure out what size to get.

This is so silly, you would think she is my first the way I am obsessing over this. I have never bought baby clothes before--my older 3 all got hand-me-downs and I just picked through whatever we needed. She is built so differently that nothing fits in the right season.

Advice?

Advertisement

Melinda29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Re: How do Carter's baby clothes fit?

Also, she is just starting to stand, so I don't want anything too long in the leg for fear she will trip all the time.

WWYD? Stick with 12-18 or size up? Or go with Carters or another brand?

Pant/shirt outfits don't work as she is too chubby in the waist. Everything smaller than 2T cuts way into her belly. Plus the rompers are super cute
Old 10-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just bought a bunch of 12 months Carter's rompers for my 29" 24lber and they shrunk too much in the wash for him to wear comfortably, especially with a well packed diaper! I would go with the 18 months. I just roll up the sleeves and legs and they aren't to big in the legs/tummy area. I know they will last through the winter.
UVASahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Carters are more roomy than a lot of brands and we can fit them over a cloth diaper pretty easily, with maybe sizing up for things like pajamas. My youngest is 4 months and 25 3/4 inches and we are sizing out of 6 months into 9 months in Carters because of how long she is. She is on the small size weight wise though at only 14lbs.

If you are wanting the rompers for spring time, then I would get size 18 months to be on the safe side because she is just about a year old now and once she starts really walking she will probably slim just a little.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggierbard9 View Post
Carters are more roomy than a lot of brands and we can fit them over a cloth diaper pretty easily, with maybe sizing up for things like pajamas. My youngest is 4 months and 25 3/4 inches and we are sizing out of 6 months into 9 months in Carters because of how long she is. She is on the small size weight wise though at only 14lbs.

If you are wanting the rompers for spring time, then I would get size 18 months to be on the safe side because she is just about a year old now and once she starts really walking she will probably slim just a little.
I'm sorry, I meant I want them to fit from now until spring, as it is cold here now and will be til March/April.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #6
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

For Carters an 18 month size = 12-18 months, a 24 months =18-24. They fit both my girls well, tend to be longer and narrower where gerber is short and fat. I also get a good fit with Old Navy. They carry the brand at Target, Walmart, and Babies R Us.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

Carters fits my (two year old) twins well. They are tall but on the thinner side and have always worn the size that corresponds to their age. Personally, though we don't buy true Carters brand. Everything we have gotten from the Carters store gets holes in it and wears out before they've outgrown it/season has changed. We do have several things though b/c a lot of people give them as gifts, but I wouldn't spend my money on it. It is the only brand we're regularly had this happen with.
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #8
avismomma816
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Carter's is awesome! My daughter is so tiny and thin but she is longer. And that's all the fit her perfectly with no gaping ...
Old 10-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
Alikhlas
Registered Users
seller

Different styles from carters fit differently, which is great bc you can always find something to fit your lo, but not great bc there isn't consistency in everything. But they are great clothes for the price and variety--you can find preppy, little girlish, proper girl, fun stuff, etc. They may not be handed down but they are so cheap that it doesn't matter. Osh kosh is the same brand and the quality is a little nicer and they also have awesome sales..I picked up a few things for $1.50 over the summer.

Back to the romper, they are roomy but zip vs button vs closed front fit a little differently each. My petite 18 mo old 21 lb dd fits both 12 mo and 18 mo clothes there and the 12 mo jumpsuit style rompers with the layered sleeve look (if you looked at that one) fits her both in width and height with room to grow. The 18 mo one was huge!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Alikhlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #10
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

I like carters clothing. Infact I only buy carters clothing.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote