Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #11
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Potential Risks Associated With Ultrasound And Doppler Use

While I have a different opinion on the matter, I think this was thread was very respectfully done. I wish all these types of threads were this respectful to other peoples choices .

Advertisement

s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #12
mamaspice
Registered Users

I didn't have an ultrasound due to the concerns that you've laid out. We didn't know about a partial placenta previa prior to my homebirth that did cause some labor obstruction and pp bleeding (needed pit and cytotec right away to stop bleeding). An ultrasound may or may not have caught it because it was slight. There was no other indication of the previa or anything abnormal during pregnancy.

I'll probably do one 20 week scan with the next one but I am not sure yet.

ETA: I appreciate your post. Women should be informed of all of the potential risk and benefits if ANY procedure before choosing whether or not to consent.

Last edited by mamaspice; 10-16-2012 at 02:34 PM.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #13
mamato2boyz
Formerly lyndibri
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblepurr
I've always believed the less scans you do, the better for the baby, and have been upset that now they do so many sonograms. In my last pregnancy they did an early sonogram for dating purposes at around 7 wks, the 20 week sonogram, and 2 late trimester sonograms to check fluid and size of baby at 40 and 41 weeks. My Dr. made me feel as if I was possibly endangering my baby by not doing an sonogram and being obtuse by trying to refuse.

I'm curious how they followed up the left handed and brain damage correlation with sonograms. I know that lingering scans of the same area can over heat tissues, and that the baby will try to move away form being scanned during the procedure. It's curious to see how conventional science will overlook certain studies, simply because the baby isn't obviously deformed when born, when they can have a whole host of non-visible issues that only come to light many years down the road.
Left-handedness is associated with sonograms? Hmmmm....I've never heard of that and I definitely wouldn't consider it a handicap or anything. I have a lot of family members that are left-handed and their parents had zero sonograms.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #14
slyeates
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
With my son I had13 ultrasounds due to an abnormal Measurement. I did tons of research Because I was worried about the effects that so many ultrasounds might have on him. Oddly enough the only thing I found then was that it caused left handedness. That was 4 years ago.

My son is definitely left handed.

He does have a genetic disorder but left handedness has nothing to do with it. We have no one on either side of our family that's left handed.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #15
delicatefade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Where I live, they usually only do one ultrasound at 20 weeks. Then, if there is some kind of issue, they may do one more later on.

Holland Grace is here! (14/4/2013)
delicatefade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #16
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlyblessedmom
I was not looking to shove anything in anyone's face. If it wasn't for a similar type post I never would have known about the potential risks. No provider ever shared that there could be any risks, and I never gave it a second thought. I had monthly ultrasounds with my oldest son, if I'd been fully educated on the matter my choice would have been not to have them. This post is strictly an effort to make sure people do know this information so they can make their own educated decision on a matter they may never have previously given a second thought. If this is not a safe place for me to share my pregnancy related thoughts and information I probably don't belong here. I'm all about women making educated choices, you have to have the information to do that, and sometimes you don't know to seek out information on a particular topic until someone suggests there might be reason to look into it.
I totally agree with this! I think the post was very respectfully and kindly written without being "in your face" or condescending like a lot of posts on DS unfortunately are.

I never thought once about the fact that ultrasounds even had the *potential* to be harmful. I had three with my last DS - 7 weeks for dating, 20 weeks for anatomy, and 36/37 weeks because I was admitted to the hospital for contractions, vomiting and dehydration.

Of course my OB never mentioned that there may be risk associated with US, but after seeing these links I spoke to him about it and he's told me in no uncertain terms that he feels it doesn't change the quality of care for mother or baby in any way. I had an initial dating ultrasound with this baby before I read these articles, and I think that's probably the only one I'll have during this pregnancy.

I for one really appreciate this post! I've never seen this information on Facebook or elsewhere. I've already passed it on to other pregnant mamas. Thanks!
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:26 PM   #17
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyeates View Post
With my son I had13 ultrasounds due to an abnormal Measurement. I did tons of research Because I was worried about the effects that so many ultrasounds might have on him. Oddly enough the only thing I found then was that it caused left handedness. That was 4 years ago.

He does have a genetic disorder but left handedness has nothing to do with it. We have no one on either side of our family that's left handed.
My lil guy that got all the scans is left handed as well and we don't have anyone on either side that is left handed either.

Left handedness does have it's disadvantages. All emergency escape doors are designed for right handed users, and pretty much everything else is to, like tools and such, even down to student desks. Of course left handed people have an advantage in sports, like tennis and fencing.
rumblepurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:47 PM   #18
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

nm
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:56 PM   #19
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyeates View Post

this is interesting. I had at least 4 u/s's with each baby (6-8wks, 12wks...but with DS2 and DS3 I wasn't as far along as they needed so I had to go back a week later, 18 weeks and 28 weeks). None of them are left-handed...but the funny part is that DH *IS* a lefty, so their chances should be higher lol I feel bad for him because he so badly just wanted ONE of them to be a lefty...maybe this baby haha
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:36 AM   #20
TNT46131
Registered Users
seller

There is a page on FB with this info. Doppler Danger
Link: http://www.facebook.com/doppler.danger?ref=ts&fref=ts

Very nicely written post. While I'm aware of the dangers I still don't like info shoved in my face and I don't feel you did that :-)
TNT46131 is offline   Reply With Quote