Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
wooly_wonderful
Registered Users
Formerly: lxl***ca
seller

My Mood:
Anyone have a great pyrenees?

We've been talking about getting another dog and this is one of the breeds we are considering. If you have one, what are your thoughts on it?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

wooly_wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Anyone have a great pyrenees?

My MIL used to breed them. I absolutely LOVE Pyrs!! They drool and shed a TON, though. LOL Otherwise, they are so gentle and loving! Big huge teddy bears!

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
wooly_wonderful
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by somo_chickenlady
My MIL used to breed them. I absolutely LOVE Pyrs!! They drool and shed a TON, though. LOL Otherwise, they are so gentle and loving! Big huge teddy bears!
Awesome! We fell in love with them when we saw them at an alpaca ranch. I love how they are big fluffy dogs. I've read about the shedding and drooling and I think that's something we can live with.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Last edited by wooly_wonderful; 10-12-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my aunt has 1, had 2 but one got really agressive and had to be put down. they shed a LOT and drool a LOT but hers is super calm and sweet. iirc they dont live as long as other breeds bc of their size but idk where i heard that
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
chubbycheeks
Registered Users
seller

Big Fluffy Dog Rescue places a lot of great pyrs. I by they would be a good resource. A man at our local dog park always brings his too young ones. They are huge but super friendly. My chihuahuas give them a run for the money lol.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My FIL has one that he breeds. The sweetest most layed back dog EVER
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We had one that we did not raise. He was the sweetest dog ever, but he had every bad habit known to man. He came from the pound and he seemed awesome. He however was the best escape artist I have yet met. He squeezed his 100lb+ body through a 5" gap between the fence and house. When that was fixed he would dig under the fence (even after gravel and large sand stone was put down). He could not be let out alone ever and if he did get out it was a chase (in the car) to get him back. We took him on 3-5mi walks daily. He just had the incessant need to roam. I was terrified that he would get hit by a car and he had to be rehomed. He really was lovely otherwise. He was perfect to the boys and he knew basic commands and minded very well. I had no idea how hard it could be to keep him in though. Yes he shed and by massive shedding it means full grocery bag daily even on amazing grain free EVO. Marley really didn't drool a whole lot though.

If we raised one from a puppy I would have another one, but I don't think I would ever rescue another one. I can't devote the time it takes to supervise a dog all the time and I couldn't stand the thought of something bad happening to him.

I suggest going with a puppy if that is the breed you choose. They chew though so be prepared for that also.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #8
wooly_wonderful
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeshkasheeba
We had one that we did not raise. He was the sweetest dog ever, but he had every bad habit known to man. He came from the pound and he seemed awesome. He however was the best escape artist I have yet met. He squeezed his 100lb+ body through a 5" gap between the fence and house. When that was fixed he would dig under the fence (even after gravel and large sand stone was put down). He could not be let out alone ever and if he did get out it was a chase (in the car) to get him back. We took him on 3-5mi walks daily. He just had the incessant need to roam. I was terrified that he would get hit by a car and he had to be rehomed. He really was lovely otherwise. He was perfect to the boys and he knew basic commands and minded very well. I had no idea how hard it could be to keep him in though. Yes he shed and by massive shedding it means full grocery bag daily even on amazing grain free EVO. Marley really didn't drool a whole lot though.

If we raised one from a puppy I would have another one, but I don't think I would ever rescue another one. I can't devote the time it takes to supervise a dog all the time and I couldn't stand the thought of something bad happening to him.

I suggest going with a puppy if that is the breed you choose. They chew though so be prepared for that also.
Thanks for that info! I have been researching them and read that they aren't supposed to be off a leash ever and that they roam. I do know that we will have to raise our fence to at least 6 feet. It's about 4 now and our pit bull/ German shepherd mix can easily reach the top. It will definitely be too low for a bigger dog.

How did you manage the shedding? We used to have microfiber couches the dog hair from our dogs could get pretty bad. Now that we have leather, it doesn't seem as bad. I read that the need to be brushed really well at least twice a week.

Also, we are considering getting one that is 10 months old, a male. The family is rehoming him. I haven't yet asked why, but I definitely will. I did also see an ad for 9 week old puppies, but for some reason I'm really leaning towards the 10 month old.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum

Last edited by wooly_wonderful; 10-12-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #9
MrsAsh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My friend and her mom both have have one. When they get them groomed they have to take them in a cattle trailer b/c of their weight when move to the same side of their Explorer. I met both dogs and they extremley gentle and great with my friend's 4 & 5 year olds.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #10
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My aunt had one when I was a child and Dusty was amazing. She followed my cousin and I around the house. She was a super sweet and laid back dog, just liked to be near us. She slept next to my cousin's bed. Honestly she was not the worst drooler in the world though there would be a puddle under wherever she slept and she drooled a bit when she drank water or ate. She did shed like crazy. I also had a friend with a male great pyr named Oso. He had the same awesome laid back temperament. We used to take him for long walks. He did like to have long walks all of the time. He only had one bad habit that I am aware of, he was a cat chaser. He once chased my mom's cat onto our roof and actually managed to jump high enough to hang by his front paws from the car port trying to catch him. If I could get past the shedding I would definitely have a Pyr, they are amazing dogs. I used to think the drooling would bother me but I don't think they drool particularly worse than Duke does.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote