Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-19-2012, 07:21 AM   #1
Registered Users
Question Gallbladder issues during pregnancy?

Would anyone mind sharing their experiences on gallbladder issues during pregnancy? TIA!

I'm Julie. I'm a lucky wife to Micheal and a SUPER blessed mama of 5! Jordyn (12.21.04) Preston (4.10.06) Kyson (6.24.07) Gavin (12.18.08) and Londyn. (4.19.10)
Expecting Emersyn Jewel in March 2013!
mommajewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Gallbladder issues during pregnancy?

I hear that increased gallbladder issues are common in pregnancy.

I have some issues with mine (flare ups every 6 months or so when not preggo) and I've had one attack while pregnant. For me, it's just that the attack is many times worse than it would otherwise be. I've never sought treatment for it or anything for it.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
Registered Users
I had a horrible time with my gallbladder during my last pregnancy. I was finally diagnosed with gallstones after four severe attacks when I was about a month pregnant. I was seen by a surgeon and was put on a very low fat diet to try to manage the attacks. At that point, we had hoped that the diet would be effective enough to get me through the pregnancy.

The diet worked well for a while, but I started having attacks again around 10 weeks. Just prior to that, I learned that I had a large ovarian cyst that was causing a lot of pain as well. At that point, my OB and surgeon recommended that we remove both the cyst (ended up being my entire ovary) and gallbladder at the same time.

I had the surgery at 15 weeks, and I was an emotional wreck leading up to it. The surgery went perfectly according to both doctors. I was able to have it all done laparoscopically. The baby tolerated it all well. I stayed 24 hours in the hospital for monitoring before going home. I felt good as new after three days, and the baby was great. The gallbladder surgeon told me that the gallbladder was completely filled with large stones and guessed that I would have been hospitalized by the end of my pregnancy if we had not done the surgery because of the severity of the stones and cholecystitis.

Fast forward, I have had no negative side effects from surgery and I have a beautiful, healthy baby girl! Despite the anxiety and struggle I had in deciding to have it removed, I have no regrets.

So there's my story! Hope it helps. Good luck to you, mama .
Stamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #4
Registered Users

i have a low functioning gallbladder and am 17 weeks pregnant. it was horrible in the beginning as the pregnancy hormones slow down your gallbladder. well mine is slow anyway so it pretty much stopped. i was so sick and threw up a LOT. well that all stopped around 14 weeks or so and i've been fine ever since. i haven't had any pain unless i eat things that aggravate it. i was supposed to have it out in august but found out in july that i'm pregnant. i'm waiting until after baby is born to have it out. i just worry about the end of the pregnancy when the baby is the biggest and pushing on everything.
danielle, loving wife to jayson 10-16-03 , SAHM to lucian 2-13-07 and aurelia 3-26-13
sterlids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:
It is extremely common to have gall bladder attacks during and just after pregnancy. I had one attack when my fourth child was 8 weeks old. I regretfully had my gall bladder removed. I now have terrible bathroom issues.
Beth, Christian mama of 5 (expecting #6 Spring 2013).
Check out my blog Heart Stirred with Wisdom
4dramamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #6
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
My Mood:

I had terrible gallbladder attacks starting around 6 months when I was pregnant with my first. I suffered through them, the doctors would not (could not?) do anything at the time. I had them nightly. They subsided after I gave birth, but I was told that I would need my gallbladder removed before I had another child (and I had it removed when we started TTC #2 7 years later).
Denelle, WAHM to Gwen (18) Ezekiel (8) Eleanor (my homebirth baby is now 5!)
MotherMoonPads Reusable Cloth Menstrual Pads, Restocking Daily, Quick Shipping!
Saving your body & the Earth, One cycle at a time
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote