Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-11-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
noahsmommy2007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Homemade detergent - clothes still smell?

Just tried my first batch of homemade liquid detergent. The load wasn't particularly dirty, but I still smell deodorant. I used 1 c detergent, 2 rinses, then another rinse with vinegar..I still smell it. I have an HE front loader. Any ideas? Thanks!

Advertisement

noahsmommy2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #2
noahsmommy2007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homemade detergent - clothes still smell?

Forgot to add...I have well water in a hard water area, but have a water softener.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:20 AM   #3
HugeBabyBoy
Registered Users
seller

Homemade laundry detergent will not leave clothes with a fragrant smell, unless you add a few drops of essential oils. The clothes shouldn't smell at all really. That's how you know they're clean.

Traditional detergents have lots of added perfumes and fragrance. If you are used to this, and like it, homemade laundry detergent can be an adjustment. I have an HE, but don't rinse twice. (We're on city water.) Hope you find you like it!
HugeBabyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:42 AM   #4
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

With homemade detergent, I think you're going to have a difficult time getting deodorant out without pre-treating.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:18 AM   #5
noahsmommy2007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchMama2010 View Post
With homemade detergent, I think you're going to have a difficult time getting deodorant out without pre-treating.
That's what I was afraid of. I didn't have any pretreater so I made homemade oxyclean and sprayed it on. Rewashing now (at 3 a.m.) ugh.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

that's a lot of detergent to use- 1 c? I only use the scoop (like that comes with powdered drink mixes) and only dh's landscaping clothes smell so I wash those in hot
Old 10-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchMama2010
I use homemade detergent and don't have to pretreat deodorant. I rarely pretreat anything unless it is chocolate or red sauce then I slap on some stain stick and throw in the basket and launder when ready. I have no issues with my homemade and having to pretreat.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #8
noahsmommy2007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is getting frustrating lol. I used the duggar recipe..is that what you mamas are using? Do you wash in cold usually?
Old 10-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #9
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsmommy2007
This is getting frustrating lol. I used the duggar recipe..is that what you mamas are using? Do you wash in cold usually?
Basically, only I dilute mine to 3 gallons NOT 5-10 gallons. It is still way cheaper than the Tide I use on diapers. I use one bar Fels Naptha, 1.25 cups each of super washing soda and borax then melt and pour into 3-1 gallon jugs and fill with water the rest of the way. I have a traditional TL and use 1 cup per load and also add 1/2 cup of White King water softener per load because we have hard well water.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
Bellaroo
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsmommy2007 View Post
When I used it for our clothes I only washed in cold and never found that the clothes got clean enough.

I suspect the temperature of the water was part of the problem as I used the same detergent for our diapers (using hot water) and they always turned out fine.
Bellaroo is offline   Reply With Quote