Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:
Disrespectful or not: Using "mom" and "dad"

I could really use some thoughts/input/feelings/advice from all sides. I'm kind of at a loss as to whether I feel it is or isn't and put my food down.

For the last month or so my son David who is about a month away from being 6 has taken to calling me Terra, instead of the normal "mom". Keep in mind he is SPD/ASD/ADHD. And He's really 'coming into himself' and his personality as of late.

Anyway, a part of me feels like it's disrespectful, but then another part is like eh, no big deal, it's a phase and will pass. I just don't know. It seems like the bigger deal I make of it the worse it is. And then a part of me [who likes to question everything] asks "What's the big deal and where does it say in stone that we have to call parents "mom and dad".

I don't know, I'm open to listening to all views which may help me get a better grasp one way or another. Thank you!

Advertisement

Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I really font think it would bother me.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Disrespectful or not: Using "mom" and "dad"

With kids without behavioral issues I think I would insist on Mom and Dad. With a child with behavioral issues I would probably let it slide.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
Shaunam
Registered Users

My son did this. I really think for most kids it's just a phase and they are trying it out to see if they get a reaction. I ignored it and he went back to calling me mom. He was also about that age and is possibly on the spectrum.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunam
My son did this. I really think for most kids it's just a phase and they are trying it out to see if they get a reaction. I ignored it and he went back to calling me mom. He was also about that age and is possibly on the spectrum.
I'm thinking this as well.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

lol i called my mom ethel (not her name) all the time when i was a kid just because she hated it and it got her attention after i called her mom a few times and she didnt answer. in your case i would let it slide for now and not worry about it just suggest that he call you mom instead because you like it better.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #7
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
With kids without behavioral issues I think I would insist on Mom and Dad. With a child with behavioral issues I would probably let it slide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunam View Post
I think both. He might realize u guys have other names & are trying them out. Dharma & greg show for instance.......
abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #8
Van1300
Registered Users
seller

My almost 3 yr old DD discovered we have names and not just mom/dad. She likes to call us by our names a lot now. I always say "yes, that's my name, but I'm also your mom/mommy, just like you are Elli and also my daughter". We are learning family members as I'm due with baby #2 very soon
Old 10-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

What about not responding until he uses Mom. Just say, "oh, I didn't know you were talking to me." It would bother me, but if making a big deal out of it would make it worse then I'd hope ignoring it would make it stop.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #10
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by abunchoflemons View Post
I think both. He might realize u guys have other names & are trying them out. Dharma & greg show for instance.......
I loved that show!

Good input. My gut does say just roll with it right now. The rules part of me is flustered!
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote