Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
EmilyDan
Registered Users

Help a Flats and Cover Newbie

I've been CDing my daughters with pockets since she was about 2 months. She's now 7 months and I'm giving flats and covers a whirl. I have a dozen birdseye flats and a one-size Palm Tree cover. (The cover was a freebie.) I decided to try flats because all of a sudden she's wetting more and leaking out of her pockets. (This makes me super sad because I love the pockets, so I also got some hemp doublers to try in the pockets.)

So, when she got up this morning I put her in a pad-folded flat and cover. She was in it an hour and 45 minutes without leaks. Yes!! When I went to change her, I encountered my first, "What do I do here?" moment. The flat was soaked all the way through in the front, which meant there must have been pee on the cover, but I went ahead and reused it anyway. Is that okay? It seems like there will always be an area on the flat that is soaked through so there will always be pee on the cover and I thought you were supposed to be able to reuse covers. How often do you change covers? Just when you get poop on them? When they start to smell like pee?

Second question: What's the best fold? I haven't been able to figure out how to do an origami fold despite watching multiple tutorials. I saw a tutorial for a jo fold and it seemed easy and I liked that it wrapped around the hips, but it wasn't very many layers thick for absorbency. It seems like a pad fold would be best for pee absorbency, but I'm wondering how a pad fold would hold in poop, since it doesn't wrap around the hips. Would fold do you like and why? Also, for using 2 flats for extra absorbency at night what fold or combination of folds do you like?

Third question: What one-size cover do you like? I like that the Palm Tree cover has a flap in front to hold in a pad folded flat, but I'm worried about how long it will last since it's a pretty cheap brand. Also, I haven't decided if I like the fit. I know that the Flip covers have flaps to hold in a pad folded diaper and I'm assuming they would fit the same as a BG 4.0 and I love the fit of my BG 4.0's, so I'm thinking maybe Flip covers, but if I'm going to do Flips I need to order them pronto because the sale ends tomorrow! So, if you have Palm Tree covers, what do you like/not like about them? If you have Flip covers what do you like/not like about them? Is there a different one-size cover you would recommend?

TIA!

Advertisement

EmilyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
MrsS
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help a Flats and Cover Newbie

I love flats and covers! My favorite covers are Flips and Thirsties duos! I love Duo's for littler babies and I use size 2's for my babies once they reach about 11lbs. They are a little fluffy but they don't leak. I find Flips are perfect for toddlers/older babies. I like the gussets in Thirsties for littler EBF babies.
MrsS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #3
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I re-use covers 2-3 times unless there is poop on them.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #4
gehagge
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes, you can reuse the cover...you can wipe it out and let it dry and rotate between two of them if it seems very wet. I usually put it in the wash at the end of the day or if it gets poop on it, whichever comes first. For tutorials on folds, there are some YouTube videos and a flat fold thread on here if you search...I'm mobile and don't know hOw to link. And I love flips and econobums for covers.
gehagge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:26 AM   #5
EmilyDan
Registered Users

Thanks for all the feedback! Very helpful! If anyone else has anything to add, please do!
Thanks!
EmilyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
MrsS
Registered Users
seller

I'd just like to add that econobums are great for smaller thinner infants but unless your toddler is thin they will likely be too tight. Flips however fit great for chunky toddlers.
MrsS is offline   Reply With Quote