Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-15-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Opinions on babysitter's pay

As we have been trying to ready our house for sale, we've had Janice the babysitter come every Sunday. We are always there when she is, but sometimes she takes the kids somewhere in our car. We're getting ready to list so the steady Sundays are coming to an end.

My daughter has always talked to her about coming to our new house and she has always been positive about it. Her chance is coming up. My husband is gone from Thursday to Monday this week, and Janice is coming to help out for her normal hours at our new place. Our old place is a 5 minute drive for her, and the new place will likely be 15-20. We pay her $45 for 6 hours which is 7.50. She keeps showing up, so I'm assuming that's fine for her.

Anyway, we like her. She's no Mary Poppins (did Mary Poppins have a tongue piercing? I can't remember) but she gives the kids 100% so it's good.

Question: would you give her a bit extra for the gas/drive to keep her "happy" or just see what happens?

Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Opinions on babysitter's pay

If you really like her it wouldn't hurt to offer a little more (like $10) just to keep her available for you.
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

hmm... a babysitter that the kids like and that you like can be hard to find.

I might just let it go. She should mention if she needs more. On the other hand, you could pop her an extra $5 on Thursday at the end of the day/week.

We pay $9 an hour for 1 kid, though, so offering a little more than $7.50 doesn't seem like too big of a deal to me.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would probably throw in an extra $5 for gas.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would give her a little extra, maybe $5-10. A good babysitter is hard to find... and this is coming from someone who has yet to find one .
Old 10-16-2012, 01:43 AM   #6
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

I can see this on both sides... i have been a sitter for years and now i hire sitters for my own little one.

I dont know how much babysiting she does or how big your town is, but i expect to drive 15 to 20 min each way. And if you are doing a 6 hr block, then the gas isnt as bad as shorter times more often.

If she really is a valued member of the family that your child will look back on with fond memories then i suggest goint out of the way to treat her as such. Yes, money is nice... but it isnt everything. I have turned down jobs that pay well, up to $16 an hour because it felt like... well a job. The families o have connected with went out of their way to include me and show they valued me and my time. I have dozens of teens on my facebook that i used to babysit and they remind me of the special things we did together.

That being said, i dont know what the rates are in your area, but that is low for here. Maybe check craigslist to get an idea of rates? Not all sitters are comfortable asking for more money. I had some really uncomfortable situations happen when i did. So when i had a family i loved i was always too nervous to ask for a raise. One thing i always do is i round the hours in their favor by at least 15 minutes. And if i come home early i still pay for the full time out of respect for their time. I was always astonished how many people would come home an hour or 2 early and not pay for the whole time they scheduled me.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:49 AM   #7
NYCVeg
Registered Users
seller

Although I'm not sure if I would offer a raise, I would certainly give her one if she asks.

That rate sounds pretty low to me as well, though, and I agree with checking around to see what others pay. We've always lived in urban areas, so I know things are a little different, but when I lived in Previous City, $12/hr for ONE child was standard and in Current Expensive City, you cannot get a decent sitter for less than $15/hr.
NYCVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #8
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
At 12-15 an hour here, you get a degreed person that has curriculum for your precious. I just need a babysitter. $7.5 is normal here. It's minimum wage (right?) and not taxed. Many students can't find anything, and this is a major college town. I digress though. I think her rate is fine considering the number of hours and proximity. I just don't want her to feel that we are taking advantage but I also don't want to box myself into an unsustainable relationship. Although Sundays are almost done anyway. We'll be switching to as-needed pretty soon. And truly, we have family to lean on, too.

I think I'll give her an extra $5 for gas. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yeah for just one day and not something you rely on for employment, etc it would be different. I think $5 for gas on the additional drive is generous of you. Like you said, she's not a nanny caring for your children, she's more or less helping keep an eye on them while you're home and getting things done.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #10
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspopo View Post
I was always astonished how many people would come home an hour or 2 early and not pay for the whole time they scheduled me.
I don't think this would ever have occurred to me.

It hasn't been an issue cause we've been gone as long as we planned the 2x we've had to use a sitter, but I never would have thought of it that way. I guess cause when I worked hourly, if they sent me home early, I didn't get paid for the extra hours that I didn't get to work.

Is this a normal thing to do for a sitter?