Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Advice needed re job interview and pregnancy

I'm 7 weeks pregnant with my second baby. With my daughter (and my miscarriage) I had severe morning sickness, like puking all day unable to stand sick. I was off of work for several months with my daughter but I had a good job with disability pay. This time I haven't been as sick yet (it didn't get really bad until 8 weeks so I still have a week to go) I didn't return to my job at the end of my mat leave (it just ended end of sept) because it was an hour and half away and I didn't know I was pregnant again. My plan has been to do childcare in my home however I haven't been able to find any children yet. My mat leave pay ended last week and we can't survive on one income so I've been looking for part time work. It only makes sense to work in the evening when my husband can care for our daughter otherwise childcare costs would eat up at least half of anything I make. There isn't much available in 7-11 hours though. I applied at Tim Horton's which is a busy popular coffee and donuts place. I have an interview for this Thursday. The thing is, I'm not sure if I can do it with morning sickness. As long as I'm eating constantly I'm ok but that won't be possible in this job. Also I"m extremely tired taking care of my 11 month old, nursing and being pregnant and I feel sickest in the evening. We really need the money but I'm scared I won't be able to do it. The money will only cover half of what we need. We can get by for 4 more weeks and I'm hoping when my husband gets the play room finished and I can put photos on my kijiji ad I'll get some bites. I have to do what I have to do to pay the bills but I'm afraid the combination of not eating and exhaustion will make my morning sickness worse and I won't even be able to care for my daughter. What should I do?

Advertisement

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys

Last edited by chandni3; 10-14-2012 at 12:44 PM.
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How have you been advertising? Does your state require you to be licensed? Have you checked out Craigslist in your area?
I agree you have to do what you have to do but that seems like a lot. Is there someone you could trade PT daycare with and find something in the day until you can get some kids in your care?
Old 10-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
squiddles
Registered Users
seller

Re: Advice needed re job interview and pregnancy

Last edited by squiddles; 07-23-2013 at 11:08 AM.
squiddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
CarrieMeredith
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If I were in that situation, here are my thoughts:

Your husband needs to get a second job. You already have a 24 hour/7 day job. He has time and stamina for it, you don't.
CarrieMeredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

you feel sickest in the evening.
have you thought about getting a morning job? Call centers often have those - think like 24/7 customer service AT&T or something.

You'd have to sleep in the evenings, but that might make the nights okay since you're asleep.

I don't know.. it sounds like a rough situation. I would definitely try to amp up the advertising for in home care. Maybe even offer evening care, which I know is difficult to find for a lot of parents.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
onegratefulmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

May need to also consider how this would impact doing Childcare. I know it would be in your home but would you feel up to caring for other children knowing how you felt previously? What ways can you scale expenses back? Maybe check out the thrifty forum for ideas? This is a tough one!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
onegratefulmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

can you get a job working with the elderly or disabled? i have worked during 2 PG in this field and it's mostly down time and paperwork. very flexible schedule as well (our agency even has sleepover nights)
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Yeah, I agree with the PP that this one needs to be on your hubby. I can not imagine my hubby asking me to work under those conditions. Yes, you need to survive, but it sounds like even if you get the job, you're going to lose it quickly if the m/s hits. I had basically no m/s with our DS, but I have been SO SO incredibly sick with #2. I had a p/t job for a little extra side money and a way to get out of the house more from last summer through this past summer and left for varous reasons; and we found out we were expecting shortly thereafter.

Around the 4 week mark, I had plans one Saturday. This was two months ago. That Friday night I started feeling ill and was sick as a dog by Sat am. I thought it was some kind of virus. Nope, it was the most awful m/s all day long I have ever experienced and now at 13 wks pregnant it is still not great but I can actually do things during the day if I don't overdo it. If I had still had that job, I would have had to call in sick that weekend and I never would've been able to return. There is no way my hubby would have asked, expected, or heck even allowed me to work that sick while being pregnant.

I definitely could not have done in home care for other peoples children. To be honest, he lost a lot of sleep (he works nights) in the mornings because he was helping me a TON and DS watched a lot of morning cartoons, it was so bad. How will you care for other children alongside yours?

Last edited by Mom2Connor; 10-14-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I agree with the suggestion of talking to the people in the thrifty forum about how to scale back on bills and save on food, etc. Then if you still can't quite make ends meet, maybe at least it will help your hubby not have to work quite so many evenings or weekends while you get through the m/s. Meanwhile, you can keep working on the house and doing what you need to do while trying to get a child to watch, so once the m/s is over things will be ready for another kiddo.
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #10
Pikemommy
Registered Users
seller

Millions of women work while pregnant, with morning sickness, and other kids at home to take care of. It's not easy, but it's not impossible. Do what you need to do mama and I 2nd talking to the Dr. about meds to control the nausea. I took them only while at work and it made it manageable. There were days I would come home and sit in the car because I was too tired to walk to the front door while pregnant but I did it because I had to.
S 3/15 7lbs 15oz 20.5in
Pikemommy is offline   Reply With Quote