Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
mommygraham
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
birthday gift ideas

Our girls have birthdays coming up next month. One will be 3, the other will be 7. My MIL has asked me to make a wishlist for them so she can shop. The thing is, I'm completely stumped! They both have very full wardrobes, so the don't need clothes. And we have so many toys, I'm actually more anxious to get rid of some than to add to them. Any ideas on what family member could get (because they are the type of people to get something even if I say not to --and I've tried it)? My 6yr old is into drawing and stroy-writing. My 2yr old love stuffed animals and dressing up. (I should add that we already have far more stuffed animals than any household should have and we also have plenty of dress-up clothes). I'm hoping someone on here can help me think outside the box. Any ideas?

Advertisement

Old 10-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: birthday gift ideas

art thing for the one and doll/stuffed animal clothes/ bedding and stuff for the animals? or like apron to help in kitchen/ oven mitt and all?
abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #3
ccserrano
Registered Users
seller

Classes.... Dance, cooking, art, yoga, gym, ymca program,

I've seen a kit where you draw and write a story, send the kit in, and they publish a copy for you... Would your kids like something like that?

Movie gift cert?
ccserrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
avismomma816
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Is there art classes she could pay for 7 year old to attend or take her to an art class that she can spend a day with her gma? Like color me mine... Paint pottery that is a special memory they'll have together.
Hmmmm... For 3 year old...my nephew had his party at a place called monkey joes. A playtime fun plex...
Old 10-13-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
mommygraham
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by abunchoflemons View Post
art thing for the one and doll/stuffed animal clothes/ bedding and stuff for the animals? or like apron to help in kitchen/ oven mitt and all?
She has an art easel from ikea, I made her an apron a few years ago for her kitchen, and our younger daughter has a little wooden dolly bed from ikea (also a baby graco pack-n-play), but otherwise good ideas! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccserrano View Post
Classes.... Dance, cooking, art, yoga, gym, ymca program,

I've seen a kit where you draw and write a story, send the kit in, and they publish a copy for you... Would your kids like something like that?
Movie gift cert?
PERFECT idea! My husband wrote a book this last spring, and ever since our daughter has been talking about how she wants one of "her books" published like daddy. I'll have to google that. Do you remember where you saw it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avismomma816 View Post
Is there art classes she could pay for 7 year old to attend or take her to an art class that she can spend a day with her gma? Like color me mine... Paint pottery that is a special memory they'll have together.
Hmmmm... For 3 year old...my nephew had his party at a place called monkey joes. A playtime fun plex...
She (and gramma!) would love this! Hmmm wonder they they have around here. I'll check into that, thanks! We don't have a Monkey Joes around here, but I wonder if there is something sorta similar. We live in a somewhat smaller area (60k ppl), so there aren't as many 'fun house' type places to choose from.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:34 PM   #6
AVDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

yes, classes in something they'll enjoy would be a great gift idea! They have these story cubes that would be good. You roll the dice and make up a story depending on the pictures you roll. I've got those on DS's christmas list for this year.
Art supplies or craft supplies would be a hit in our house. Clothes in a bigger size for upcoming seasons (that's what my brother has told me to get for my nephew-he's just 5 months so I'm buying and making clothes for him for summertime)
I asked DH's aunt last year to go in with some money towards the iPad we got for DS but she said no. She wanted to give him gifts. So instead of putting money towards the big gift that would be beneficial for therapy and play she decided to spend her money on cheap toys that didn't last more than a couple months and then got thrown out. I'd rather have money put in the bank for the kids than have them get showered with inexpensive toys that don't last.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
avismomma816
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
There is also a store on our mall that if I could remember the name would be great for your lo ... It's a dress up place that she can get her toes done and hair and wear whatever princess outfit she would like to and they also take pics!!! It's adorable and such an awesome idea
Old 10-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #8
ccserrano
Registered Users
seller

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...w/d/0963679600
I hope this link works... Never posted a link before. The story kit was on amazon and toys r us (but on sale $19 on amazon)
ccserrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #9
mommygraham
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVDesigns View Post
yes, classes in something they'll enjoy would be a great gift idea! They have these story cubes that would be good. You roll the dice and make up a story depending on the pictures you roll. I've got those on DS's christmas list for this year.
Art supplies or craft supplies would be a hit in our house. Clothes in a bigger size for upcoming seasons (that's what my brother has told me to get for my nephew-he's just 5 months so I'm buying and making clothes for him for summertime)
I asked DH's aunt last year to go in with some money towards the iPad we got for DS but she said no. She wanted to give him gifts. So instead of putting money towards the big gift that would be beneficial for therapy and play she decided to spend her money on cheap toys that didn't last more than a couple months and then got thrown out. I'd rather have money put in the bank for the kids than have them get showered with inexpensive toys that don't last.
I couldn't have said it better. Totally how my husband and I feel.

Great idea on the clothes a bigger size up. We've actually been abundantly blessed with hand-me-downs. They both have enough clothes to last a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccserrano View Post
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...w/d/0963679600
I hope this link works... Never posted a link before. The story kit was on amazon and toys r us (but on sale $19 on amazon)
Yay! Thanks!
Old 10-14-2012, 01:51 AM   #10
Honeymommy3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you have a Michaels? I've seen the story publishing kit at ours. Our also has drawing classes, painting, watercolor, etc.

- play parachute (the huge one) it's liked from tiny toddlers to even 10 year olds. And it folds up so nicely so that it doesn't take much room
-Books
-a fun home for the stuffed animals (they have these cool bean bag type coverings that you stuff your animals in, so it's cute and functional), or the jails, the rope that hangs from the ceiling, etc.
-Have you seen Kimochis? Check them out. They are more than a stuffed animal, can be utilized many different ways for a while (with the packs that you can buy additionally), and they are still super cute.
-Cute chair for her room. Bean bag, butterfly, round ones, etc....
-One last thing for your little. Peg boards with pegs. The kind you iron after they are done making it. She will LOVE it. They make the big sized ones for toddlers to be able to manipulate it. It's one of my go to gifts to friends and I've always received such good comments about them afterwards.

-nice sketch pad with good color pencils/watercolor pencils. I got my dd a set, about $25 dollars (middle of the road for pricing), that were great color pencils but if you use them with a touch of water it adds a whole new element.
-canvases for her to do painting, artwork and then hang up or she could give as gifts herself
- her own scrapbook to fill with pics of her family and friends and activities
- Pedicure at the local salon. She'll enjoy it, but nothing to take home except pretty toes!

Both ages, we are big on games. Blokus is our current have. But there are so many good ones out there. And great quality time too.
Also, headbands, hair clips/bows, earrings, jewelry in general, jewelry box

I frequently have this problem. So, beyond classes (which hasn't been a successful request here), I like to think of things that are fun but useful and can last awhile. Telescopes, science experiments, extending the crafty side, cute robe/slippers, blah, blah!!!

I hope you get lots of great ideas that will work for you.

Last edited by Honeymommy3; 10-14-2012 at 01:53 AM.
Honeymommy3 is offline   Reply With Quote