Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

Severe reflux baby- normal?

We just started dd on a new round of meds for her reflux and one of the meds (for motility) has turned her ebf poop into something from a landfill, it is seriously AWFUL. her gas is now super smelly too, is this a normal side effect?

Advertisement

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Severe reflux baby- normal?

My kids have done Zantac, Prilosec, Prevacid, and Reglan, and never had that. It does take a few days for the meds to kick in, though (except for Zantac).
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola
My kids have done Zantac, Prilosec, Prevacid, and Reglan, and never had that. It does take a few days for the meds to kick in, though (except for Zantac).
This is bethanechol, she also takes prevacid and maalox

She has been on prevacid for 3weeks, maalox since Thursday, and bethanechol since Friday night.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
mekat
Registered Users

Check to see if gas is a side effect of any of the meds. I had to pull ds off of Miralax because it turned him into a giant ball of combustible gas. Not every kid is going to do well on every med.

Is one of her motility meds a low dose antibiotic? If so that would be the first thing I would suspect. The problem could also be something in your diet she can't tolerate. Really there are so many things it can be you are going to have to target the most likely culprit, eliminate it and see if that makes everything go back to normal.
mekat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
mekat
Registered Users

Hmm.... after reading your medications list, I found both Maalox and bethanechol can cause gastrointestinal distress as a side effect. I can tell you from personal experience that Maalox taken in a high enough dose can do evil evil things to your GI. Of course I am an adult so it could differ with a child. If I were in your shoes I would ask her GI if you can combine Prevacid and Zantac instead for a while to see if it is the Maalox. If it isn't the Maalox then bethanechol would be my next suspicion. Also most doctors prescribe Prevacid as once a day, I and other Mom's found it helpful to half it and give twice a day instead because babies metabolize medication so quickly it is usually out of their system before 24 hour period is up.
mekat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

She takes the prevacid 2x a day (1/2 pill), maalox every 8hrs (1/4tsp), benthenchol every 6hrs (1ml)

I'll have to call and see what they can do, the gas is so bad that she's really upset while trying to pass gas. And honestly that is just NOT a normal smell!

I tried to eliminate dairy from my diet when she was 2 weeks old but it did not help I do need to cut the caffeine out I have had way too much lately and not enough water.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

dd is on prevacid and maalox and has no adverse effects
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That would worry me quite a bit; smelly poop means that she's likely not absorbing as many nutrients as she should be.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #9
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516
That would worry me quite a bit; smelly poop means that she's likely not absorbing as many nutrients as she should be.
Can you explain this?!?

Old 10-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #10
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have any studies or anything to back that up...but the reason why breastfed poop doesn't smell very badly is because it's so well digested by the infant. Anytime a baby or child has really smelly poop it is a sign that they aren't digesting what they're eating very well, or there is some other intestinal imbalance. It's gross, but think of when you have a stomach virus and have loose stools; it's really smelly. It's not a good sign, or, imo, something to take lightly. How often does she have a bowel movement? Do you know exactly what she's taking and what the possible side effects are?