Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #11
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:
Re: Cat Litter!!!

It works for us. We are sort of passive composters, some ppl are more rigid about it. To get one started, I toss everything (grass clippings, food scraps, leaves, food scraps, kitty box contents), water it a lot and then we toss the kitty box contents in as needed. Give it a stir with a rake or pitchfork, whatever you have every few weeks. I also poke holes in the compost with the handle of a shovel to get air flowing thru. After a while, months, you will have rich compost to put in your flowerbeds. I would not put this in your veggie garden, btw.

And we just do this in the back of the yard in a 4 x 4 area, piling everything up. The leaves are beginning to fall here, a great time to start a compost, or just mow the yard and collect the clippings to add to the heap.

Good luck and if you have any questions, pm me! And don't be afraid of the bugs, they are the ones working your compost for you.

Oh, my mom just tosses the kitty box contents directly into her flowerbeds, I prefer to compost first however. She figures the outdoor cats go everywhere anyway....she doesn't sweat it.

Advertisement

Last edited by Resellmybelle; 10-14-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Resellmybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:26 AM   #12
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resellmybelle
I would not put this in your veggie garden, btw.
Just wanted to make sure this point was repeated. Also, composting before applying to flower beds helps ensure the nutrient levels are more equalized (C:N ratios), and if the compost pile is warm enough, helps break down pathogens, etc (same concept as applying manure to fields).

FWIW, we use pine litter and love it. Smells yummy too!! [and we toss it in the trash once it's soiled]

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #13
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

We use fresh step and nothing else works for us. Our Costco sells it for $11.49 for a 52lb container, which is a great deal. Then every few months they have a coupon in their little books for 2.50-3.00 off making it a total of $9.00 or $9.50. We stock up when they have the coupons so we very rarely, if ever, have to buy it full price.

Sometimes Costco has the Scoop Away brand instead of the Fresh Step, but we did some research and it's the exact same thing.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:51 AM   #14
Roxies Rag Rump
Registered Users

My local pet store sells bulk litter by the pound. I think it is like .12 per pound. That's what we use.
Roxies Rag Rump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #15
DealSeekingMomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

Does the compostable kind really work? Just nervous about it but hate using all the landfill stuff...
DealSeekingMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #16
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:

Works fine for us. It needs to be emptied a little more because it doesn't smell as good in my opinion. You can always try it, not a life long commitment if it doesn't work, lol.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #17
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

We used to get really good deals on Fresh Step from Sam's Club. I think it comes in 40 lb bags. One bag lasted forever, even with three cats.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #18
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaga View Post
Just wanted to make sure this point was repeated. Also, composting before applying to flower beds helps ensure the nutrient levels are more equalized (C:N ratios), and if the compost pile is warm enough, helps break down pathogens, etc (same concept as applying manure to fields).

FWIW, we use pine litter and love it. Smells yummy too!! [and we toss it in the trash once it's soiled]

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Yes, just about anything can be tossed in the trash including any cat litter whether it compostable litter or not. I prefer to compost for numerous reasons and it is especially thrifty!

Here is an excellent site about it. I like the idea of just finding a high area in the yard, digging a space for it and just leaving it after it's full for a nearby plant or tree to benefit from. I may try that also, instead of harvesting the compost and spreading on ornamental, not edible, flowerbeds.

pet waste composting
Old 10-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #19
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

We use chicken feed ("layer crumbles" is what we bought the last time) from the feed store. It's about $15 for 50lbs. It lasts forever (1 bag lasts for a couple of months w/ two cats) & is comparable to the "World's Best" stuff. Actually, I couldn't stand the smell of the World's Best, but the crumbles don't bother me at all. The cats don't have a problem w/ using it. It clumps like other litters & they still cover their poo. We just scoop & the bags of waste go into our garbage pick-up, but it is [non-food] compostable, as well as flushable in the toilet, so you have some options.