Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #21
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Chat Thread ~ Oct 14th-20th

nothing to report here except that I think I'm going to eat myself into a food coma today.

lol

the commissary finally had a loaf of blueberry struesel bread (it must be popular, because they're always out) and I got some and I want to eat the entire loaf.

Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #22
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rverrone11 View Post
I saw your thread in extra fluffy (?) - that's an awesome find!

Quote:
I think I'm going to give in and go to a closer hospital even though the OB is out of network. It's only 1.5 hours instead of over 3 hours. I have no idea how naturally friendly the hospital or OB are, but it will be so much easier. We own a house that is 15 minutes from this hospital, so I'll stay there starting a week before my due date. It's going to be about $5,000 so it will be quite pricey but I think it is worth it to avoid a 3+ hour drive.
Is it going to cost that because the OB is out of network? Sorry, US health care (networks and insurance and private clinics) kinda confuse me. I'm just not used to that.
The 1.5hrs would even be better than 3 - and even more so if you can stay at that other house.

AFM: I found some fall boots on the weekend
these ones, actually

And even though it was fairly warm (t-shirt weather) yesterday, I still wore them! Very comfy and I really like the look of them.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #23
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers

I saw your thread in extra fluffy (?) - that's an awesome find!

Is it going to cost that because the OB is out of network? Sorry, US health care (networks and insurance and private clinics) kinda confuse me. I'm just not used to that.
The 1.5hrs would even be better than 3 - and even more so if you can stay at that other house.
Yeah, and we spend Thursday nights through Sundays at that other house, so chances are that I would be over there anyway.

The price completely depends on what insurance you have and if the hospital and/or doctor is in network. If I went to Las Vegas (the 3 hr+ hospital), it would be about $2,000. But I'd have to factor in gas money, waiting hours for my appt (the wait time is ridiculous at that OB's office), spending a whole day going to an appt, worrying about getting there in time (my last labor was 4 hours), staying down there for a few weeks around delivery, etc.

The closer hospital is in network but the OB is out of network. Once I pay $1,500 (my deductible for the year), then that is all I pay for the hospital. If the OB was also in network, I wouldn't pay anything beyond $1,500. Since OB is out of network, I pay 30% of anything beyond $1,500 up to $3,000 plus the difference beyond the insurance company's contracted fee and what the OB actually charges. Insurance companies have agreements with in network providers as to how much the insurance company will pay for certain procedures. The insurance companies don't have agreements with out of network providers, so I have to make up the difference between what insurance will pay and what the OB charges. It's all very confusing and completely depends on what insurance plan you have.

I LOVE those boots!
Old 10-15-2012, 04:27 PM   #24
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
nothing to report here except that I think I'm going to eat myself into a food coma today.

lol

the commissary finally had a loaf of blueberry struesel bread (it must be popular, because they're always out) and I got some and I want to eat the entire loaf.
I'm coming over!!!!! your not far from Alabama right?

That reminds me--My dh has no concept of drive times. Never did never will not even with mapquest and everything else. So we are talking about going from AL to NJ for Thanksgiving to spend it with family. and he started talking about leaving the day before and says "It's only like 8 hrs right?" and he was serious!!!!

I just kept thinking if it was only 8 hours I would have visited family like every other weekend or at least once every 2 months. I was like, "Umm hun, it's at least 18 hours. but with 3 kids we are looking at around 24 or more."
He was like "REALLY, that long?" And I just kept thinking you drove when we moved down here right? It took us 2 days!
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #25
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
The price completely depends on what insurance you have and if the hospital and/or doctor is in network. If I went to Las Vegas (the 3 hr+ hospital), it would be about $2,000. But I'd have to factor in gas money, waiting hours for my appt (the wait time is ridiculous at that OB's office), spending a whole day going to an appt, worrying about getting there in time (my last labor was 4 hours), staying down there for a few weeks around delivery, etc.

The closer hospital is in network but the OB is out of network. Once I pay $1,500 (my deductible for the year), then that is all I pay for the hospital. If the OB was also in network, I wouldn't pay anything beyond $1,500. Since OB is out of network, I pay 30% of anything beyond $1,500 up to $3,000 plus the difference beyond the insurance company's contracted fee and what the OB actually charges. Insurance companies have agreements with in network providers as to how much the insurance company will pay for certain procedures. The insurance companies don't have agreements with out of network providers, so I have to make up the difference between what insurance will pay and what the OB charges. It's all very confusing and completely depends on what insurance plan you have.
Uhh... yeah. Well when you put it that way, it seems so simple!

I read your post to DH (because, seriously, that's messed up). His response is "Okay. Now what happens if you roll double 2's?"
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #26
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmomma View Post
I'm coming over!!!!! your not far from Alabama right?

That reminds me--My dh has no concept of drive times. Never did never will not even with mapquest and everything else. So we are talking about going from AL to NJ for Thanksgiving to spend it with family. and he started talking about leaving the day before and says "It's only like 8 hrs right?" and he was serious!!!!

I just kept thinking if it was only 8 hours I would have visited family like every other weekend or at least once every 2 months. I was like, "Umm hun, it's at least 18 hours. but with 3 kids we are looking at around 24 or more."
He was like "REALLY, that long?" And I just kept thinking you drove when we moved down here right? It took us 2 days!
DH lost his man license temporarily when he wanted to take us to a restaurant that was 45minutes down the road, but was really about 3-4 hours. Then, he claimed that he knew an alternate way home that would be only an hour and it was.... if you can imagine.... 3-4 hours.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #27
momneedssupport
Registered Users

My Mood:

INS and dr bills are why im using a mw this time. All around cheaper!!! insurance sucks
Old 10-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #28
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Is anyone having a blood test done to determine gender?

The more I read about it, the more reluctant I am to have an ultrasound done in January. I know my OB will back me if I decide not to since my he flat out told me that in his experience (Navy and civilian OB) it doesn't change the quality/standard of care.

DH is freaking out, though. He wants pictures of the baby. Seriously. That is the ONLY reason he could come up with for wanting the ultrasound. (Well that and wanting to know the gender.) I said I would have an US to see where the placenta was attached if we were having a HB, but he is totally against a HB. He said I was "turning into a weird hippie" - haha. He is an EMT and told me if he was the pregnant one, he would be getting every screening and test and preemptive procedure under the sun. Ick :/

Anyway, back to my question... I've seen the from home ones that you can order and do yourself, but I also know my OB can order one. Has anyone done either? What was your experience & were the results accurate? DH will not stand for not knowing the sex... He was already pretty upset about not seeing "pictures", even though we had a dating US at 7 weeks.. Apparently that wasn't good enough :P lol
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #29
mapleleaf88
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyH
Is anyone having a blood test done to determine gender?

The more I read about it, the more reluctant I am to have an ultrasound done in January. I know my OB will back me if I decide not to since my he flat out told me that in his experience (Navy and civilian OB) it doesn't change the quality/standard of care.

DH is freaking out, though. He wants pictures of the baby. Seriously. That is the ONLY reason he could come up with for wanting the ultrasound. (Well that and wanting to know the gender.) I said I would have an US to see where the placenta was attached if we were having a HB, but he is totally against a HB. He said I was "turning into a weird hippie" - haha. He is an EMT and told me if he was the pregnant one, he would be getting every screening and test and preemptive procedure under the sun. Ick :/

Anyway, back to my question... I've seen the from home ones that you can order and do yourself, but I also know my OB can order one. Has anyone done either? What was your experience & were the results accurate? DH will not stand for not knowing the sex... He was already pretty upset about not seeing "pictures", even though we had a dating US at 7 weeks.. Apparently that wasn't good enough :P lol
This is so my husband. It took me a few months to convince him that a midwife was okay! He also accuses me of turning into a weird hippie. Lol
Old 10-15-2012, 10:48 PM   #30
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momneedssupport View Post
INS and dr bills are why im using a mw this time. All around cheaper!!! insurance sucks
It's not always cheaper to go with a mw. A midwife for me would be more than an in-network provider. We met with a home birth midwife, but again, she is over 3 hours away (more like 3.5). Her cost is $3,000 for everything including the "birth center" and tub. I used a home birth midwife last time, and she charged $2,200 and we had the baby at her house. But we had to pay for the hotel that we stayed at for 5 days after baby was born.

This whole thing just makes me beyond confused.