Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #11
d_arnold
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pantry Challenge...Find the old thread, or start a new one :)

I'd love to tag along! I don't have a lot of canned goods because we don't have a pantry so we are limited on space.

Advertisement

Wife of 6 years to DH, Momma to DD (3), and expecting Baby Girl #2 in May 2015
d_arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #12
d_arnold
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

A good pantry recipe we love is chicken spaghetti!

Shredded chicken (or you can even use canned chicken)
1 pkg spaghetti noodles
1 can cream of mushroom
1 can cream of chicken
1 can Rotel
shredded cheese (optional)

Cook noodles and set aside.
Combine cream soups and Rotel in large bowl. Add chicken.
Spray 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
Combine all ingredients and mix in baking dish. Top with cheese (optional).
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:13 AM   #13
Mama2ManyBoyz
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatha89 View Post
I would be in, but would need to still go get staples weekly (produce, milk, eggs etc) is that allowed?
Totally allowed. They idea is just to buy as little as possible and use as much from the pantry as you can. That doesn't mean that you have to eat spaghetti with ketchup cuz you ran out of spaghetti sauce But rather that you buy just the sauce as opposed to buying ingredients for an entire meal. Better yet, try making alfredo sauce from scratch or making a stir fry with the noodles or a butter/garlic sauce and a meat thrown in....whatever you have on hand

Last edited by Mama2ManyBoyz; 10-15-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Mama2ManyBoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #14
Mama2ManyBoyz
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_arnold View Post
A good pantry recipe we love is chicken spaghetti!

Shredded chicken (or you can even use canned chicken)
1 pkg spaghetti noodles
1 can cream of mushroom
1 can cream of chicken
1 can Rotel
shredded cheese (optional)

Cook noodles and set aside.
Combine cream soups and Rotel in large bowl. Add chicken.
Spray 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
Combine all ingredients and mix in baking dish. Top with cheese (optional).
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
That's sounds yummy! I think I may try it with homemade "cream of" soup with a recipe I recently found....use up all the powdered milk in the pantry. I may need to wait till I get to the store, cuz I'm out of rotel. I'm not sure it would turn out too hot with just fresh tomatoes diced...that's all I have on hand. What do you think?
Old 10-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #15
d_arnold
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2ManyBoyz View Post
That's sounds yummy! I think I may try it with homemade "cream of" soup with a recipe I recently found....use up all the powdered milk in the pantry. I may need to wait till I get to the store, cuz I'm out of rotel. I'm not sure it would turn out too hot with just fresh tomatoes diced...that's all I have on hand. What do you think?
It would still taste good, but wouldn't have that "kick" in it without the Rotel. I really like the little bit of spice the Rotel adds.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #16
Mama2ManyBoyz
Registered Users
seller

Confession time...I think I probably have a stockpile of a year's worth of food or more. A woman (who I am convinced was/is a food hoarder) gave us boxes and boxes of canned food and whole wheat pasta. There is a ton of great stuff. Dh and I have been unpacking and organizing it for awhile now (and eating out of it). I just unpacked 8 boxes and have 8 more to go, 3 of which are huge. Problem is a lot of it, I don't know what to do with (beets, corned beef in a can, etc) and some is either expired or close to it. Pressure is on to eat through this food. I need to start recipe hunting. I did find a recipe for beet cupcakes, but haven't tried it yet. Literally boxes and boxes of canned beets. Not all of it is weird though. Canned chicken has been my go-to dinner. Chicken tacos, fajitas, bbq chicken sandwiches, chicken n rice, chicken salad and more. Same with canned and cooked ground beef. Beef chunks that go nicely in stir fry and soup. Salmon for salmon patties on a bun and ....er....feeding the cat. Not to mention, most of it was from Amish Country, so it's organic. It's been great, but I really need to get creative with some of this stuff.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #17
HillbillyMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Confession time...I think I probably have a stockpile of a year's worth of food or more. A woman (who I am convinced was/is a food hoarder) gave us boxes and boxes of canned food and whole wheat pasta. There is a ton of great stuff. Dh and I have been unpacking and organizing it for awhile now (and eating out of it). I just unpacked 8 boxes and have 8 more to go, 3 of which are huge. Problem is a lot of it, I don't know what to do with (beets, corned beef in a can, etc) and some is either expired or close to it. Pressure is on to eat through this food. I need to start recipe hunting. I did find a recipe for beet cupcakes, but haven't tried it yet. Literally boxes and boxes of canned beets. Not all of it is weird though. Canned chicken has been my go-to dinner. Chicken tacos, fajitas, bbq chicken sandwiches, chicken n rice, chicken salad and more. Same with canned and cooked ground beef. Beef chunks that go nicely in stir fry and soup. Salmon for salmon patties on a bun and ....er....feeding the cat. Not to mention, most of it was from Amish Country, so it's organic. It's been great, but I really need to get creative with some of this
stuff.

I'd donate the stuff that is about to expire to a soup kitchen, so you are sure it will be used before it has to be thrown out (and it will be VERY much appreciated!!) Is this home canned foods, or conventionally canned foods?

Join me at Viewpoint, to make $$$ taking simple surveys!!!
HillbillyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:07 PM   #18
Mama2ManyBoyz
Registered Users
seller

None of it is home canned. I wonder if it's ok to eat past the "best by" date...I thought I always heard it was but I dunno...
Old 10-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #19
HillbillyMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
None of it is home canned. I wonder if it's ok to eat past the "best by" date...I thought I always heard it was but I dunno...

I'd Google it to see, I think if it's "best BY" then you gave a while, the taste and texture just may be a little off...l

Join me at Viewpoint, to make $$$ taking simple surveys!!!
HillbillyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #20
Mama2ManyBoyz
Registered Users
seller

Alright did pretty good today...

Breakfast: Eggs from mil for me, dfd, and dh with an egg sandwich for dh out of a random english muffin and sausage patty from the freezer. Instant oatmeal packets for the boys that mil sent over cuz nobody at her house was eating them. Spiced up the baby oatmeal for the little guy with a chopped up banana.

Snack: bananas & a fresh pear

Lunch: Garlic noodles as we call them (whole wheat spaghetti noodles from our stockpile w/ butter & garlic salt) Salad for me.

Snack: goldfish crackers from the enormous Sam's Club box my mom bought the kids

Dinner: Made a white sauce gravy with the canned ground beef in our stockpile and served it over homemade bread, burning through the whole wheat flour I desperately need to use up. Canned carrots from the stockpile.

Thinking of making dh chocolate chip pumpkin cookies with chips and pumpkin from the stockpile and continuing to burn through that darn ww flour.

All in all, a pretty good day!