Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #71
cmarsh31
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pantry Challenge...Find the old thread, or start a new one :)

Jumping in - life is always a pantry challenge here. We bought our beef (half a cow) and chicken (10 whole frozen) in June, get CSA veggies from June - November (plus 3 winter storage boxes), and have a bushel of apples left from picking. My goal is to never actually grocery shop beyond baking staples, cheese, bananas, and yogurt (yes, I should make our yogurt, but it's just not a place I'm going). Our milk & eggs are delivered weekly from a local farm. Last week, I went 12 days without grocery shopping - and I only really went because Halloween candy was on sale (with coupons) and I didn't want to miss out.

Our current challenge is that SIL just had a baby AND great-aunt-in-law had a major car accident and is in the ICU. We've managed to juggle 2 hospitals and life with barely eating out last week and I want to keep up the trend this week.

Last night for dinner we had boneless chicken breasts (I buy a big bag from TJs every few months, I consider them a treat & fast food) because I spent most of the day helping SIL with the new baby so MIL could be at the ICU - with acorn squash, oven fries, and broccoli.

Dinner tonight is going to be some version of Onion and Pepper Smothered Round Steak with mashed potatoes & a green salad.

Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #72
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

last night we had stuffed red bell peppers from my last boutiful basket 2 weeks ago... they were huge, so i cut them in half long ways, instead of stuffing them whole. i dont like tomato sauce in mine, so its just rice, hamburger meat, and bell pepper/garlic/onion all mixed together and layered with cheese. little man doesnt like bell peppers, so he had cheesy/beefy rice, and apple slices, and broccoli. made enough for us all to have lunch today too. havent decided on dinner yet today. might hold of on the squash, since it stores so well, and eat the more perishable veggies first

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #73
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ok so we suck! We ate out Friday night, Saturday lunch, Sunday lunch and I have to make a menu and get some sort of convenience food for supper or we'll be eating out again.

I'm in such a rut meal planning. The kids picked lunches and dinners, so I just have to come up with a few things for breakfast. Later I'll be back with my grocery list and menu. I need to be accountable to someone or we'll be broke!
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:16 PM   #74
Mama2ManyBoyz
Registered Users
seller

I'm still chugging along here, just not posting as we've had much of the same. Restocked my staples finally and grabbed only what I needed to use what I have in the house. $50 or so for the next two weeks, not bad. I'll be back posting our meals as we start up the "Fiscal Fast".
Old 10-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #75
cmarsh31
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Gaah! Ran out of brown sugar making apple sauce, pear sauce, and apple pie.

Need to rummage through the rest of the veggies (we get our share on Tues) to figure out what HAS to be used tomorrow.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #76
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, that was a frightening grocery store trip. I spent about $160! But, once I really thought about it, I haven't really been to the grocery store (as in going through the fridge and making a list) for 3 weeks. I've been getting bare essentials (milk, cheese and the occasional produce) and I bought a case of butter , but not the average trip.

I replaced all condiments that we are on the last one. I bought 4 dozen eggs, an extra gallong of milk so I can make yogurt, 3 pounds of bologna (on sale), a bag of bl/sl chicken breasts, 4 dozen eggs, etc. So quite a bit of what I got will last into next week and maybe even further.

Our menu is:
Breakfasts: Waffles, Cereal, Yogurt, Biscuits and Gravy and something else that escapes me
Lunches: Grilled Cheese/Tomato Soup, Mac 'n Cheese, Fried Chicken/Mashed Potatoes, Pizza and Friday we are eating at the church's soup and pie luncheon
Snacks: Carrots w/ Ranch, Banana Muffin, Smoothie, Apple Slice, Granola Bar
Dinners: Enchiladas, Chef Salad w/ Cheese & Crackers, Mac 'n Cheese with ham bits (recycled from lunch), Sandwiches and chips, Lasagna

Meals for the weekend will use up leftovers or we might eat out on Saturday after DD1's volleyball tournament.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:19 AM   #77
Mama2ManyBoyz
Registered Users
seller

Did pretty good on dinner. Whole wheat spaghetti with meat sauce from the stock pile. Only had to buy the sauce. Garlic bread made from homemade bread. Caesar salad kit was on sale for 79 cents.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #78
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

we're having lemon chicken (with lemon gravy :yum: ) over rice with salad. nothing bought for this meal, although i did spend $6 yesterday for a block of cheese, a pound of carrots and a bag of croutons.

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #79
Mama2ManyBoyz
Registered Users
seller

Stomach flu...nuff said.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #80
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2ManyBoyz View Post
Stomach flu...nuff said.
You need the oyster crackers and 7up that I bought yesterday that wasn't on my list.

Had a surprise chriopractor visit this afternoon, so I didn't get to prep dinner before the soccer game. Good news! I was called early due to lightning and I went home and made it before Parents As Teachers came.

If it were up to me, we probably would've eaten out, but the kids wanted enchiladas. Glad we used what we had in the house though.