Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
Subversive Cupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,024
My Mood:
When to move my daughter out of convertible

My daughter is almost 3, FF in a Radian XTSL. She weighs in around 48 lbs, 40 in tall, and is pretty broad chested. She's starting to seem a bit squished in her Radian, she's on the top strap holes and the head wings are as high as they go!

So, I'm trying to figure out the next seat to get her and start looking for sales.

I convinced my parents to get my nephew a Nautilus, but wasn't sure that would be the best option for my daughter. I don't currently have a budget in mind, but definitely can't afford the new $500 seat!! I'm probably looking at something in the $150-$200 range.

Advertisement

Subversive Cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
jjordan
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,810
Re: When to move my daughter out of convertible

There is no reason to move her unless she has outgrown the seat (shoulders above the top harness slots, or at the weight limit) or if she is complaining about being squished.

If, at not-yet-3 years old, she IS squished in a Radian, then I would probably not even consider a Nautilus for her. A Britax Frontier would be a good option, and they are not infrequently on sale at wayfair.com (clearance) for right around $200. A typical sale (non-clearance) price is more like $230.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
mommabritt's Avatar
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
Posts: 9,876
My Mood:
Under NO circumstance would I allow a child under four to use a seat without a harness. Five or six is my personal minimum as maturity is much better then. A two or three year old doesn't have the maturity to sit properly 100% of the time therefore putting them at risk in an accident.

With that budget you could get a Frontier85 and I wouldn't think twice about doing that for a young child who is above average in height and weight.
__________________
Hi, I'm Brittney
Wife to one amazing man.
Mom to FOUR amazing blessings.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
Subversive Cupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,024
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabritt
Under NO circumstance would I allow a child under four to use a seat without a harness. Five or six is my personal minimum as maturity is much better then. A two or three year old doesn't have the maturity to sit properly 100% of the time therefore putting them at risk in an accident.

With that budget you could get a Frontier85 and I wouldn't think twice about doing that for a young child who is above average in height and weight.
Oh I definitely don't think she's ready for a booster either!

But I don't know much about which are the tallest/highest weight harnessed seats.
Subversive Cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
Subversive Cupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,024
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan
There is no reason to move her unless she has outgrown the seat (shoulders above the top harness slots, or at the weight limit) or if she is complaining about being squished.

If, at not-yet-3 years old, she IS squished in a Radian, then I would probably not even consider a Nautilus for her. A Britax Frontier would be a good option, and they are not infrequently on sale at wayfair.com (clearance) for right around $200. A typical sale (non-clearance) price is more like $230.
Her shoulders seem to be touching the bottom of the head wings. And I can't figure out how to get those wings to go higher. :-(

She's pretty comfortable otherwise, and I want to plan ahead that's why I am asking.
Subversive Cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
jjordan
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,810
Re: When to move my daughter out of convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subversive Cupcake View Post
Her shoulders seem to be touching the bottom of the head wings. And I can't figure out how to get those wings to go higher. :-(

She's pretty comfortable otherwise, and I want to plan ahead that's why I am asking.
The head wings can go up high enough where the bottom of the head piece is resting right above the top harness slot. Is the harness in the top set of slots? If not, then the head wings do go up higher. You just sort of have to muscle them up there.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #7
brigala's Avatar
brigala
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 649
My Mood:
Re: When to move my daughter out of convertible

I find that it helps to peel back the cover on the XTSL or RXT so I can see what I'm doing with the head wings when I adjust them. That way you'll know if you have it in the highest position or not.

Once the head wings are as high as they go (just above the top harness slots), you'll have a better idea of how much growing room she has.

I do find that the head wings are a limiter for how long the Radian can comfortably be used. I switched out an XTSL for an 80SL for a 5 year old family member I was babysitting, because she got to the point where her shoulders were bumping against the wings. She could still sit in the 80SL for another year after that; she's now 7 and still has growing room in her Frontier 85 (in harness mode).
brigala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:54 AM   #8
an_aurora's Avatar
an_aurora
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,425
Re: When to move my daughter out of convertible

The Frontier was made for your daughter I'd definitely get one of those.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.