Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
MiaAnjuli
Registered Users
seller

Do you call the police?

Ugh, a fellow 3 year old in my son's preschool class arrived in the front seat of a car, without car seat. I plan on letting the teacher know. But is that it? Do I see if there can be a police officer waiting for him to get picked up?

Advertisement

MiaAnjuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you call the police?

I would call.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
MiaAnjuli
Registered Users
seller

I called but was a dope and didn't get the the car make and model. But told them what it looked like. They are going to try to get a patrol car over there to see if they can catch him.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

I've called for no carseat, but not for improper use. I wrote down the make, model, license plate and apprx age of the boy
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

I called once when I saw a teenage in a minivan, sitting on someone's lap, holding what looked to be a baby no older than 6 mos old. There were 5 ppl total sitting in the second row (which was a bench seat) and I was really mortified, esp with the way the driver was whipping that thing around. I gave license plate number and make/model/color of the vehicle.

I would call if it is a common occurrence. Could you give a head's up to the parent first? Like "Hey be careful! If you get caught with your 3 y/o not having a carseat, you could get a BIG BIG fine!" or a more forward, "He's 3 and he still needs a carseat. Without one, there's a good probability he'll be killed in an accident."

I don't think I would call the very first time I saw it, but if I knew it was going on all the time, yes, I would call and report it.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
MiaAnjuli
Registered Users
seller

I don't want to talk to the parent, because I don't want there to be conflict if he doesn't take it well. That's not a position I want to be in with the father of a kid in my son's class. May not be right, but it's not what I want.

I did call, they said they'd look into it. The kid was gone before I went to pick up my son. And there were no cops in sight. But I talked to the teacher and she said that she'd keep an eye out.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #7
MiaAnjuli
Registered Users
seller

I don't want to talk to the parent, because I don't want there to be conflict if he doesn't take it well. That's not a position I want to be in with the father of a kid in my son's class. May not be right, but it's not what I want.

I did call, they said they'd look into it. The kid was gone before I went to pick up my son. And there were no cops in sight. But I talked to the teacher and she said that she'd keep an eye out.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
brigala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think nothing talks to a parent more than a ticket.

One of the officers who taught my CPST class said he routinely issued "fix it tickets" that would allow the parent to have the fine waived if the parent met with a CPST and followed all the instructions.

If you live in a "primary offense" state where a cop can pull someone over for no other reason than non-use or mis-use, then sometimes you can get a sympathetic ear and get that to happen. Personally I think it's more effective than talking directly to a parent, especially one you don't know well, IF you can get it to happen.
brigala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #9
MiaAnjuli
Registered Users
seller

I will be dropping him off again tomorrow. So I will keep my eye out. If it happens again I will call again.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #10
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Our preschools student handbook actually states that they will report you for not having your child properly restrained. They load and unload our children from our vehicles too so they are very well informed.
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote