Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Water Kefir and kombucha

My friend sent me a baggy of water kefir grains in what I'm guessing is some of her kefir through the mail. I have no idea what to do with it. Help! Also, she sent me a kombucha scobe as well. I believe that it leaked in the box. It has a really sour smell. Is that normal? I've never had either water kefir or kombucha before. I'm kind of lost... Thanks!

BargainAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Water Kefir and kombucha

I've never made the tea, but hear great things. I plan to try it in the future.

I just started doing water keifer. I made a yummy "soda like" drink a couple weeks ago. I just filled a big mason jar with some water, added a lemon sliced up (skin & all), a handful of raisins & a dried fig cut in half. Oh & some sugar for the grains to eat. I set it in a warmish area for about 5 days, but checked it every other day to see if it was done - it's done when you like it, basically. I did remove the fruit/strained it out after 48 hours & would suggest doing the same. It prevents mold. In the end, it tastes like a soda-type drink & has a little fizziness to it. DH & kiddos really liked it
Once... And Again Fabric | Vintage | Secondhand
CMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Water Kefir and kombucha

I think the scoby should be fine; alternatively, if you don't trust it, all you have to do to grow your own is brew some sweet tea and buy a bottle at the store, pour it in the jar, and wait a couple of weeks for a new scoby to form.
Sara- mommy to Claire (01/10) and Micah (3/12) and someone new (10/14)
Birth doula and life-long student of Everything! Need a doula in the central VA area? Let's talk!
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote