Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #11
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: kid's clothing sizes are confusing me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by argecash View Post
I think it is more by size than age. DS2 turned 3 last week and he is in 4T clothes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchMama2010 View Post
My 2 year old is in 4t, the numbers don't necessarily coincide with age.

That's the only useful thing I can add to this thread.
LOL ok! Clearly I am just all mixed up and backwards here.

I think my brain said "ok, 12 mos, 18 mos, 24 mos... 2T = 2toddler" and so on.

I'm just all befuzzled.

I think I got it now.

Advertisement

Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #12
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by argecash View Post
I am confused too!! DS1 outgrew his 4t stuff, so I went ahead and ordered size 5/6 things, but they were huge. So, I figured out that he is in either 5t or 4 (xs). I think the toddler sizes (4t, 5t) are shorter but have a larger waist, Whereas, the child sizes (4, 5, 6) are longer and smaller in the waist. You might have to try a few brands to find the one that fits right.

I have never heard of 6t! I would just pretend you never saw that!

that would explain why my ds's 4t jeans are showing off his ankles and he's walking all over his 5's, lol... seriously, theres like a 6" length difference

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #13
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post

I'm just all befuzzled.

I think I got it now.
no, you were right, but just like a chunky 3month old can be in 9 month clothes, a big 2yo can be in 3's or 4's

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #14
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by armywife2002 View Post
no, you were right, but just like a chunky 3month old can be in 9 month clothes, a big 2yo can be in 3's or 4's
yup.

...until you become an adult... then the sizing changes again. And, sadly a 28 waist doesn't mean you ARE 28 yrs old. Ah, if only....
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #15
moms5angels
Registered Users
Formerly: moms4angels

My Mood:

Quote:
I know someone else can help me with this...

So, my DD just grew out of her 5t stuff. And so I was thinking she would be in a size 6. But, no that stuff is too big. So she's now in a 4/5 (or XS) in the little girl's section?

Now DS needs new dress pants, the 4t pants are WAY too short, but the 5t pants are too tight around his waist. So we should go to a 4/5 (XS) in little boys, am I right? But those still seem a tad short (but fit fine on the waist), yet the 6s are way WAY too big.

Why wouldn't the numbers go 4, 5, 6 ? Why 4t, 5t, 4, 5, 6.... ? Am I missing something?

And if there IS a difference between 4t and 4 and 5t and 5, why are things listed for sale (not just here but on ebay and other places) as 5/5t? or 4/4t? It has to be one or the other... right? I am so confused by this sizing.

Oh, and I just ran into something size 6t? What in the world?
i have also had my fun w/ figuring out kids clothing. oh, what a joy!
here is what i learned (it took me my 1st 3 kids to get here. lol)
the sizes like 2 & 2t, 3 & 3t, ect.....there really isnt much diff in the sizes. i did compaire them side by side & there really close. so close in size that i see them as the same size now. like the sizes 18-24mo & 2t i see as the same size too cuz the only diff i see is about 1/2 an inch diff in length. so i put them as one wardrobe size. for the 4/5, 5/6, ect...i dont get why they make these. i always find them to be toooo small on the bigger size so if i see one that says size 4/5 i will only use it as a size 4 since i know it really wont last long as the bigger size. when my kids outgrow one size i just put them into the next size even if its big on them. they will grow into them in time.

Quote:
thanks mamas.

I wish there was a "how to be a mommy" handbook somewhere with all this (previously useless to me!)valuable information in it somewhere!

I am still confused, but I supposed that is b/c I am equating the numbers to ages. Like why would a 5 yr old need a toddler size? A 5 yr old is NOT a toddler... and I'd bet my left arm that 95% (or more) 5 y/os (who are not special needs) are toilet trained... so why would ANY 5 y/o need extra space for a diaper or trainer??

But maybe that is just my hang up on the number part?

So, to clarify, a 4t is for a 4 yr old still in a pull up, and a size 4 is for a 4 yr old who is a kid who is toilet trained... right?
clothing dosnt go size to age. it just by size. my oldest son jake is 8 & in a size 12 ,my 5yr old is in a 6, my 3yr old is in a 5, my 2yr old is in a 4, & my 10mo old is in 12-18mo.
(i just wanted to add that all my kids will b going up an age starting w/ austin in nov, jordan & aniah in dec, & jayvien in jan, & jake in feb. )

Last edited by moms5angels; 10-15-2012 at 01:28 PM.
moms5angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #16
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki

I'm just all befuzzled.

I think I got it now.
My 3.5 year old just grew into 3T, but my 22 month old is already in 2T. For infant and toddler sizes, if you look at the height/weight ranges the roughly correlate with the 50th %ile, so if your child isn't "average" they will need bigger or smaller sizes
mibarra is online now   Reply With Quote