Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #11
sdsalyer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by delicatefade
Do you all see my dilemma though? If I work with him at home, he will just get further and further ahead of school. I can't see that as helping either. If he was able to actually do some more challenging work AT school, that would make more sense to me.
Can your son be placed in a 2/3 split class? Do they offer that?

Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #12
KLeeCW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Public School Frustrations

OP, I am in the same boat as you in terms of deeply wanting to homeschool my child, but having to send them to public school. I really commiserate with you! My son is in K and has had nearly all of the words your son has had. That is totally unacceptable. I would try to make another case to your husband, just in case you can sway him. I would also contact the teacher again and tell her you expect more. She will probably think you are being ridiculous, but who cares? She is paid to educate and challenge your child. She currently isn't doing that. If your son's words aren't made more challenging in the next couple weeks, I would request a meeting with her and with the principle to advocate a more advance curriculum for your son.
KLeeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #13
aries416
Registered Users
seller

First of all, the teacher needs to be teaching at EVERY child's level. Instruction needs to be differentiated per each child's needs. These words are very easy and it would not be hard for the teacher to take 10 minutes and give your son a completely different spelling list. It could be sight words from whatever story he's reading that week.

I will probably not homeschool my kids, but I have very high expectations of teachers because I was one. If the teachers aren't accommodating my children (at whatever level they are working at), then I will explore other options. I don't think it does anyone in the classroom any favors by having a child who is not challenged or one who is far behind.

I hope the teacher is able to work with you!
Old 10-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #14
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't disagree with anything you said. But, I could definitely see how the teacher could be put off by your e mail. It comes off as bashing public education. And a lot of teachers do not agree with the idea of homeschooling to begin with. I wouldn't be surprised if she was rubbed the wrong way by your message, so just gave you the bare basics answer.

Sent from my droid
Old 10-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #15
delicatefade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one that thinks this isn't acceptable. I will try talking to her again. Hubby and I will meet her next month for parent/child/teacher interviews. Hopefully we will have time alone with her then to address this all.

There is no split 2/3 class. Just a 1/2 and 3/4 I believe. The school is only K-4.

And thank you all for sharing your child's spelling lists. That was actually very helpful. I know my son had much harder words in Grade 1 as well.

Holland Grace is here! (14/4/2013)
delicatefade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #16
delicatefade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulamomma View Post
I don't disagree with anything you said. But, I could definitely see how the teacher could be put off by your e mail. It comes off as bashing public education. And a lot of teachers do not agree with the idea of homeschooling to begin with. I wouldn't be surprised if she was rubbed the wrong way by your message, so just gave you the bare basics answer.

Sent from my droid
I know. I actually thought of that as I was sending it, but it was too late to go back. I was just really really upset at that point.

Holland Grace is here! (14/4/2013)
delicatefade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #17
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicatefade View Post

It just feels like she doesn't really think there is an issue! She thinks math makes up for it, but he's amazingly ahead in math too! And am I wrong in thinking that he should be challenged in school? Why should I have to make him do more work at home, if he already knows what they are doing in school?

I guess I'm asking, what would you do? How would you respond?
Don't take this the wrong way but your child is not the only student in the class. The teacher has to teach ALL students and she can not mold her curriculum to just one child. It sounds like you son is in need of an advanced placement class. I'm sure that the teacher is trying to find the a middle ground for all of her students . While these words may be easy for your son, some students in his class may struggle with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicatefade View Post

I guess most of my frustration stems from the fact that in my heart I have this huge desire to homeschool my kids. My husband doesn't think that I could handle it emotionally, and he thinks that kids need to learn some of the life skills taught in school, like dealing with bullies, etc. I just pray and pray that someday he will change his mind!

Rowan brought home a new spelling list today. Just so you don't all think I'm crazy and telling lies, here are his current spelling words:

his, is, an, and, can, all, call, land, hand, small
Maybe you could talk him into doing a trial run during the summer or maybe even a trial year.

I would agree with you in saying that those words are not up to a second grade level as his spelling list is almost IDENTICAL to my dd's spelling list and she is in first grand. This is only our third week using this curriculum and I know that they get harder the by the lesson.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #18
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

Are there any other parents in the class that have the same concerns you do? My DS is in second grade, and I know that there are 2 separate spelling lists. The kids do the same activities with the words, they just have different lists.

This week's group A words include: drip, drum, gray, grin, tree, trip, grow, truck, try, dress. Group B words this week are: drawer, driver, drapes, drowsy, grass, green, group, traveler, trickster, trunk.

Do they have computers in the classroom? Perhaps there can be some arrangement where if your child gets 100% on a spelling pretest then he can spend spelling time working on a computer (my DS plays the spelling games in spellingcity.com) with harder words.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #19
soonerfan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think your email was rather rude, misrepresentative of public school and quite condescending.

If your child is that far ahead, why not see about having him tested ahead a grade? If the grade 3/4 class is split, why couldn't he spend 2-3 years there? Perhaps consider a montessori school, which advocates mixed age groups at all levels. Continue to work with him at home on more challenging things because it is never going to hurt him to be ahead.

Yes, teachers differentiate instruction, but not for every single child in every single subject. Can you even imagine how that would happen with 20-25 kids in a class? 15-20 different spelling lists? How? Home schooling parents do not even differentiate on that scale. Yes, sometimes there are kids who are finished with work, but I've never met a teacher who allows kids to just sit and cause trouble. Most elementary classes have multiple areas for extension. If there are no options in his classroom, send him to school with a challenging book to read when he is done with his work and discuss it when he gets home. Reading a book is the single best way to improve vocabulary, writing and, obviously, reading skills.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:21 AM   #20
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

I think spelling tests on the whole are pointless so personally I wouldn't care at all.
I would, however, keep an eye out for the whole language arts curriculum. Are the other assignments seeming appropriate? The writing assignments and books they are reading - do those seem at Grade 2 level?

I think the reality is, you are never going to be happy because this isn't what you want.

I really want to be a SAHM but DH doesn't agree. Everytime there is an issue I see the solution as me staying home. But since that isn't going to happen, I have to find a new way to make the current situation work. That is what you need to do unless you can convince your DH otherwise.

Whether he is challenged more at school or you do it at home, he may well get farther ahead. But you know, he might not. The kid who is struggling now, may well end up being the best student in Grade 6 and your son may struggle then.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote