Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-15-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Do you think some kids are more prone to cavities? My son is 4 and he's been getting them since he was 2. His teeth are rather large and close together. I try to floss and brush as well as I can. He clamps down on his toothbrush and isn't always very cooperative. It's frustrating. I don't feel like the other parents I know are doing so much different than I am but I don't know anyone else's kids with such dental issues. I feel like I'm failing him and dental visits are miserable. We have one tomorrow for a tooth ache.

Advertisement

Last edited by justineybean; 10-15-2012 at 04:34 PM.
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

All the dentists I've ever worked with or gone to say genetics do not play a role. Though anyone will tell you that the most common area for cavities are are between teeth that touch and young kids shouldn't typically have teeth touching except their molars. If more of your kiddos teeth are touching theres a greater chance of cavities just for that reason especially if oral hygiene is not great. So anatomy can be cause for predisposition to cavities but not genetics though anatomy of teeth are genetic so...?

My advice would be limit sugar and.sticky foods, floss at least once daily for any areas that have contact between teeth, and make sure bushing all surfaces of teeth not just the ones you can see. Get sealants as soon as your dentist will give them!

Last edited by newmommy13; 10-15-2012 at 04:48 PM.
newmommy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
ambieone
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dental issues

As a kid, it seemed I had at least one cavity every time I went to the dentist. And I still get them often as an adult. After I had my daughter, I had 6 cavities!! I had 0 at the visit 6 months prior.

I think some people (not just kids) are more prone to cavities than others. My husband has never had a cavity and his does not take as good of care of his teeth as I do.....so who knows.

Just do the best you can, and I agree about the sealants.
ambieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

How old is other kid? I haven't had issues yet. I think some is genetics & some enviornmental. Like another family we know she said her side teeth horrible but not hubby side so she hoping kid takes after hubby.....
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I do...and as much as I think it's genetics...My mom has the same issues as well as my gma...I think it's also how you are when your teeth grow in.

When my molars (the ones I have 3 crowns on now) were growing in, I had super high fevers and they ended up being "soft"
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks -- I did cut out fruit snacks and started flossing since the last visit and otherwise I'm doing everything the same so I feel like we are doing better but then this last week he started complaining about his mouth hurting and he would have been due for his 6 month cleaning next month. He doesn't use fluoride toothpaste yet because he doesn't understand spitting it out. He has autism although his language is improving its still hard for him to understand why it's important to brush his teeth. I did make him a little storybook about going to the dentist and that helped a lot. I guess we'll just keep trying. I'll ask about sealant tomorrow.
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
I definitely think some kids are more prone to getting them! Dd1(7) has a very crowded mouth and has had 6 cavaties. One needed a crown and another just had to be pulled She's even missing a tooth(as in never developed in her jaw, not just waiting for it to come in) and her permanet teeth are still coming in crooked b/c theres just not enough room. We brush 2x a day, use mouth wash, and floss every.single.day. and plaque still builds up at an insane rate. Dd2(5) has never had one-she has space b/t all but her molars and while the dentist cant predict the future of course lol he doesnt think she will have any of the problems dd1 has if we keep our cleaning routine(same as dd1s).

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).

Last edited by my2sweets; 10-15-2012 at 05:38 PM.
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's not technically a genetic thing, but some people have less enamel than others, thus making them more susceptible to cavities. And definitely how close the teeth are together or how their shaped or whatnot can make a difference.

FWIW, my kids have always used flouridated toothpaste. We filter our water, and some tap water is filtered and doesn't contain flouride. If you use the right amount (really a lot less than you would think, kwim?) the amount that the kid swallows isn't going to hurt them - but will get them the flouride they need.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #9
A21Lee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son had issues with his teeth at around age 3. We found out a little too late that they didn't put fluoride in the water where we lived and my son also used the kids toothpaste a little longer than he should have. With no fluoride protection, he ended up with 2 crowns and some small fillings. I felt horrible enough watching him get the gas and anesthetic shots, but the dentist did a terrific job of encouraging that guilty feeling. (Bad Mom!) It was misinformation about the fluoride and miscommunication. I was finishing up graduate school and both my parents and my in-laws were helping me out watching my son, so I wasn't always the one who brushed his teeth.
A21Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
mommy24babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy13
All the dentists I've ever worked with or gone to say genetics do not play a role. Though anyone will tell you that the most common area for cavities are are between teeth that touch and young kids shouldn't typically have teeth touching except their molars. If more of your kiddos teeth are touching theres a greater chance of cavities just for that reason especially if oral hygiene is not great. So anatomy can be cause for predisposition to cavities but not genetics though anatomy of teeth are genetic so...? !
I'm not trying to come across as rude or anything so please don't take it that way.

I would say they are dentists and not geneticists.

Google Amelogenesis imperfecta. This is what runs in one side of my family that I'm not close with.
I have both an aunt and uncle who had almost no enamel on their teeth.

My kids and I have it in varying degrees.
My first 2 had to be put to sleep for major dental work before the age of 2. My own teeth are very prone to cavities and have a somewhat mottled appearance. My oldest dd recently had an adult molar come in completely brown because of lack of enamel.

For years I was put down and bullied by adult and pediatric dentist who told me it was my fault my teeth and my kids teeth are the way they are.

Told me it was my fault for extended breastfeeding them or sharing a spoon or bite. Not brushing and flossing properly.
Everyone of them accused me of putting them to bed with a bottle of feeding them juice/ sugary food. None of which I did at all.

It wasn't until I made contact with my paternal grandmother that this genetic condition came to light.

Case in proof is my almost 3 year old. I have done everything the same but he seems to be unaffected. His teeth are perfect and hard.
Just praying youngest dd is the same.
mommy24babes is offline   Reply With Quote