Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #11
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Opinions on babysitter's pay

What is minimum wage where you are? If it's $7.50 then I might add a little more now what she has to drive. If you're already paying well (min wage is say $5) then maybe not unless she asks.

Advertisement

isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #12
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm jealous you found someone that cheap too. Going rate in my neighborhood in central Indiana is $10 per hour for teens.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #13
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange

I don't think this would ever have occurred to me.

It hasn't been an issue cause we've been gone as long as we planned the 2x we've had to use a sitter, but I never would have thought of it that way. I guess cause when I worked hourly, if they sent me home early, I didn't get paid for the extra hours that I didn't get to work.

Is this a normal thing to do for a sitter?
We ran late getting to the house by a half hour once and never considered not paying her our agreed upon amount. Unless she called us back early, I would pay for the agreed upon time. Or I would give a range. Yes, I think I would say, "we definitely need you for 4 hours, but we may run late and pay you for 5. Is that ok?" Then my bases would be covered.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #14
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
I don't think this would ever have occurred to me.

It hasn't been an issue cause we've been gone as long as we planned the 2x we've had to use a sitter, but I never would have thought of it that way. I guess cause when I worked hourly, if they sent me home early, I didn't get paid for the extra hours that I didn't get to work.

Is this a normal thing to do for a sitter?

Ok, as a disclaimer, we have one DS who is 2 and have never left him with someone that isn't immediate family (my mom, dad, brother, etc) or occasionally he goes to an in home daycare two doors down with someone we trust. So, with that said, I baby sat a ton when I was a young and middle teen.

I would have been really upset if someone scheduled for me an entire Friday or Saturday night, and I turned down another job or a night out with friends, only to have them come home a couple hours early and make my night not end up being worth much. Might've made twice as much money sitting for someone else who hadn't come home hours early. Or perhaps that night out with friends to see a new movie would've been worth missing two hours of sitting time vs what you thought was going to be double that $$.

If I had a job that was supposed to give me X hours a week and I was being sent home early, I'd find a new job (since you mentioned that). So yeah, I think if you hire someone to come to your home and watch kiddo, you pay them for the time they were supposed to be there.
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #15
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you really like her then absolutely. It can be hard to find a good babysitter that you and the kids are happy with. She does also have to travel more now.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:55 PM   #16
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspopo View Post
One thing i always do is i round the hours in their favor by at least 15 minutes. And if i come home early i still pay for the full time out of respect for their time. I was always astonished how many people would come home an hour or 2 early and not pay for the whole time they scheduled me.
We round up by the nearest 30 min. I don't get the last part though. When we get a sitter we tell them approximately when we will be back. Most times we have no idea how long it will end up being. If the girls' swim meet went really fast and was only 4 hours instead of 5, we wouldn't pay them for that extra hour. It isn't a guaranteed 9-3 or whatever job. It is a flexible job where we might be gone for 4 hours and if something happens and we come home 2 hours early then again, we aren't going to pay them for those 2 hours.