Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #21
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Am I horrible for WANTING a repeat c/s?

Not horrible at all! Totally justified in birthing however YOU are comfortable. It is no one else's business how you birth your child. You and the baby coming out healthy on the other end is all that matters. And yes, mental and physical health are important. I was so dead set on a natural birth with my first, I cried and cried when they told me I needed a Csection, but I knew my DR was right. He has the lowest c section rate at my hospital, and he actually does very few and is very Pro-vbac. So I trust his opinion. I know it's what I needed. Now, I've thought long and hard about what I would do should I ever have a chance to have another child. At first I was so angry over the c-section that I swore I would never let that happen again (like I could have helped it!) but still you understand my thinking. As the years have past, I've realized that what is most important is everyone coming out the other end healthy. And as for the number of c-sections, my dr. said as long as I don't want more than four to six kids, it is fine to do repeat csections- barring complications. If I"m going to want more than that, he really really wants me to vbac. But he said if I'm keeping it under that number, then it is really what I feel will give me the best outcome. Personally I'm still on the fence, but right at this moment I'm leaning toward a repeat. You've already had a rough, rough first, go with your gut and do what puts your heart and mind at ease.

Advertisement

Last edited by slimy72; 10-20-2012 at 08:19 PM.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #22
ArmyWifeBethany
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72 View Post
Not horrible at all! Totally justified in birthing however YOU are comfortable. It is no one else's business how you birth your child. You and the baby coming out healthy on the other end is all that matters. And yes, mental and physical health are important. I was so dead set on a natural birth with my first, I cried and cried when they told me I needed a Csection, but I knew my DR was right. He has the lowest c section rate at my hospital, and he actually does very few and is very Pro-vbac. So I trust his opinion. I know it's what I needed. Now, I've thought long and hard about what I would do should I ever have a chance to have another child. At first I was so angry over the c-section that I swore I would never let that happen again (like I could have helped it!) but still you understand my thinking. As the years have past, I've realized that what is most important is everyone coming out the other end healthy. And as for the number of c-sections, my dr. said as long as I don't want more than four to six kids, it is fine to do repeat csections- barring complications. If I"m going to want more than that, he really really wants me to vbac. But he said if I'm keeping it under that number, then it is really what I feel will give me the best outcome. Personally I'm still on the fence, but right at this moment I'm leaning toward a repeat. You've already had a rough, rough first, go with your gut and do what puts your heart and mind at ease.
Thanks, girl! I honestly think I would be more comfortable with a repeat, simply because I know what to expect. I used to think that having a baby naturally was the be-all, end-all of womanhood, but at this point, I'll leave the natural, pain-free births to other warrior mamas out there! I'm unashamed!
Old 11-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #23
gummybearmama
Banned for multiple accounts~This member is also Wasabimommi who left ds with unresolved transactions

My Mood:

That is such a scary experience, it reminds me of my first...though with her I was sick every day up until delivery at 38 weeks. My midwife refused to test me and turns out I had a rare condition. It was awful and terrifying. I was able to labor with DD for 14 hours until it ended in an emergency csection because DDs stats were declining. It was SO scary. I was given the option to have a VBAC last time and I went with a repeat csection. It was so much easier and I am so happy I did it. Because I am high risk, if everything had gone smoothly I dont think I would have decided to go with the surgery. Now we are pregnant with our third and ill be having another csection.
gummybearmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #24
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So sorry for your horrible experience! You are not a bad person...it is your body and your baby and you have to do ehat you think is best for you :-).
Old 11-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #25
FrozenBooty
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
My first was a very similar experience 80 hours labor preeclampsia magnesium and the whole mess. 34 weeks 6 days he was born. Emergency section finally I was still at 0-1 dilated. My recovery was rough I had severe back pain for weeks from laboring flat on my back. Nursing was next to impossible.

I did a repeat csection for my second it wasn't perfect due to other complications but better than my first. Born at 38 weeks due to preeclampsia and GD. I also got shingles due to a very weak immune system and had a pretty miserable recovery. That said baby and u bonded and nursed better and I was happier with the experience

Baby 3 due in march is scheduled to come march 1st if I make it to 39 weeks. I do not want to ever labor again after my first I'm taking good care of myself. I've lost 140 pounds and am followed by high risk OB just in case. I'm hoping for an uneventful repeat section.

Your not crazy at all, you could not pay me enough to attempt a VBAC.

FrozenBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #26
megenic
Registered Users
seller

Sheesh, I didn't even have THAT difficult a time my first time, which ended in an emergency , section. I chose a section for my second birth without a moments hesitation. If I eve have another I will choose a section again. No, it's not horrible to want a repeat c section. I think there are a lot of benefits actually. In the end all that matters is a healthy baby...to me, how you achieve that makes no difference whatsoever :-)
Old 11-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #27
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I know you have a ton of responses, so mine is just a drop in the bucket but....even WITHOUT your background, if thats how you choose to birth, then thats the birth thats right for you!!! :-). It sucks we have so much internal and external pressue to birth a certain way, and if we dont, we end up feeling guilty :-(

But, hearing your background...good LORD....Id schedule a c-section too!
Old 11-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #28
dudleypippen
Registered Users
seller
seller

I know you've heard a lot of supportive responses, but I wanted to add mine in too! What's most important at the end of the day is a healthy, emotionally and physically, mama and baby. What route to get there isn't important and shouldn't matter to anyone. I've been at beautiful births of all types and my hope for you is that all future births will be just that. It sounds like you have some birth trauma (and who wouldn't from that experience?!?!) and I really commend you for working through some of this stuff before your next pregnancy. Best wishes to you mama!
Old 11-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #29
essential1892
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingcropsandbabies View Post
My c-sections have been a lot more peaceful than my vaginal birth (a severe shoulder dystocia) was. And my babies are healthier for it... that said, I am not. Like a PP asked, do you plan to have more c-sections after this one?

I had a lot of adhesions after my 2nd c-section and it was very painful all the way up until I had my 3rd c-section. It was a rockier c-section because of it and had some other complications. They removed a lot of scar tissue which was great for a few months, but I am afraid I'm starting to have adhesion pain again and I think it's attached to my small intestine (I feel it when I eat too much, have gas, work on my abs, etc). I just don't feel put back together since my 3rd c-section. It has me really debating and cringing at the thought of a 4th c/s... DH is against it because he hates seeing me in pain, but I'd love a 5th baby. Of course, I'd have c-sections all over again because of my first son's issues and my inadequate pelvis, I just didn't know much about adhesions before my c-s (and I'm active and walk right after and frequently and all that).

So weigh your options carefully if you want more children. I totally understand being worried you would labor again and need one anyway (happened with my 2nd c-section and I was tired, but mainly so glad to have that thing out of me!!!). ((big hugs)).

Oh and totally get being unable to breastfeed (that is me... only make 2 tbsp. of breastmilk per feeding, no matter what I try and take). It really sucks.
I have had three c-sections (1st placenta pre via, 2nd partial previa and 3rd because my dr. wouldn't do a vbac). I am fine with my c-sections and in no way feel cheated out of the "normal" birth experience and do not care what people think about them.

The how many children thing is really something I didn't think about though until I had my second child. My dr. asked if I wanted my tubes tied after baby #2- I declined but she did let me know that with each c-section the risk goes up of something bad happening. I did end up having my tubes tied after baby #3.

I don't regret having my tubes tied as I had to really talk my husband into having a third child and honestly the three I have drive me up the wall that throwing a fourth in would send me to the looney bin. I also figured that I was lucky that I had three complication free c-sections and I didn't want to risk a fourth.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #30
ArmyWifeBethany
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleypippen
I know you've heard a lot of supportive responses, but I wanted to add mine in too! What's most important at the end of the day is a healthy, emotionally and physically, mama and baby. What route to get there isn't important and shouldn't matter to anyone. I've been at beautiful births of all types and my hope for you is that all future births will be just that. It sounds like you have some birth trauma (and who wouldn't from that experience?!?!) and I really commend you for working through some of this stuff before your next pregnancy. Best wishes to you mama!
You're such a sweet mama! Thank you for your kind words. I do think I went through some serious birth trauma, which my family has kind of shrugged off and belittled since they think I should just be happy that she's healthy. I AM very happy that she's healthy and thriving, but my birth experience was everything I didn't want it to be, and that's hard to just "get over." It's been a year, and I rarely think about it, but it's still very very real to me. I still remember everything like it was yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum