Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-15-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
dancingingrace
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Scared I might wait too long to go to hospital!

I'm not sure what I'm looking for here.... Mostly, I'm just a little worried about how everything's going to fall together with my 2nd labor/delivery, which could be any time now.

My first baby, I went for my 38 wk checkup (I was 38+2), and I was 4 cm (he said he could stretch to a 5), 100% effaced, and my dr told me to get to the hospital. I had had zero contractions or anything that even suggested that I was close. I got to the hospital around 1 pm-ish, and they broke my water *I think* sometime around 3 or 3:30, and DD was born at 8:09 pm. I never had any contractions until they broke my water, even though they showed up on the monitor. I only pushed for 10 minutes.

This time, I'm 38+2, and last Thursday I was "easily a 3", 50% effaced, -2. No painful contractions, even though I think I've been having some (just because my belly tightens, I think they're BH, though...no pain, nothing in my back). I do, however, have a LOT of pressure down below, and my rear end constantly feels "pushed out" and painful, like it is uncomfortable when I walk and I feel like she's going to drop out, lol. Also, I don't know how to explain this (might just be the babe moving), but I get these pains really low...besides the pressure, I also get shooting and wave-like pains really low..lower than my abdomen, almost like in my vagina.

My worry is this: We have a 2yo, and my mom is going to come stay with her so DH can be with me, but it will take my mom at least 3 hours to get here from the time I call and am sure it is time. Our hospital is 30 min away. I know this is probably dumb, but I'm worried that I won't know that it is time until I'm really close, especially b/c I didn't have to decide when to go the first time, and had no pain or feeling of anything at all until after they broke my water....who knows how far I might have made it before it broke on its own if they hadn't done it? Things moved relatively quickly for me last time, considering it was my first, and I know that it can happen faster the 2nd time. I'm scared that I won't know, and it will get too close. What do you think?

Advertisement

dancingingrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:56 PM   #2
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have a question.. Were your contractions actually causing cervical changes? Because you could have been 4.. For a long time.. And experiencing BH... The fact that they broke your waters, actually is kinda telling me-- you were not in active labor--- but we're far enough ripened that they broke yr water to push things forward.

That's just my take, after having a hospital birth and a completely natural one. I have contractions all day right now. They aren't causing any active change in my cervix. And many women walk around for awhile at a 4.. So idk...
Old 10-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #3
dancingingrace
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Scared I might wait too long to go to hospital!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
I have a question.. Were your contractions actually causing cervical changes? Because you could have been 4.. For a long time.. And experiencing BH... The fact that they broke your waters, actually is kinda telling me-- you were not in active labor--- but we're far enough ripened that they broke yr water to push things forward.

That's just my take, after having a hospital birth and a completely natural one. I have contractions all day right now. They aren't causing any active change in my cervix. And many women walk around for awhile at a 4.. So idk...
Well, he had been checking me for a few weeks b/c DH was working out of state and I was home alone, so we wanted to have an idea of when I was getting close. Week 36 I was 1 1/2, week 37 I was 3, then 4-stretched to 5 at week 38. When I went in the hospital and we saw the contractions on the monitor, I was continually dilating. I wasn't feeling any contractions, not even BH, prior to water being broken (though looking back, I may have had BH and not recognized them, I used to just think that was the feeling of the baby pushing really hard on my stomach). *Shrugs?*
Old 10-16-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Idk? :/
Old 10-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #5
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The OB broke my waters the first time 2 days before my due date and I definitely wasn't ready to deliver my first. Also, you can't really compare labors. One baby might come quickly, and another might be slow. My sister's first 2 deliveries were super fast, but her last took much longer.

Would it be possible to find another sitter in the meantime until your mom can get to your house? Or can she stay with you for a while?
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
RachelFlores
Registered Users
seller
seller

Do you have anyone around you that could watch your 2 year old while your mom is driving to get there? I would totally try to find someone if not. It is all a guessing game, but you do sound like one of those moms who need to go to the hospital as soon as you start having recognizable contractions. As an alternative, you could bring your daughter with you to the hospital till your mom gets there or have dh brush up on emergency birth procedures if you plan on waiting the three hours. Not to scare you and likely unnecessary, but better safe than sorry. Best wishes for a wonderful labor and delivery.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:49 AM   #7
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post

EXACTLY.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #8
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingingrace View Post
Well, he had been checking me for a few weeks b/c DH was working out of state and I was home alone, so we wanted to have an idea of when I was getting close. Week 36 I was 1 1/2, week 37 I was 3, then 4-stretched to 5 at week 38. When I went in the hospital and we saw the contractions on the monitor, I was continually dilating. I wasn't feeling any contractions, not even BH, prior to water being broken (though looking back, I may have had BH and not recognized them, I used to just think that was the feeling of the baby pushing really hard on my stomach). *Shrugs?*
continually dilating? Or continually contracting? B/c AFAIK the monitor they strap to your belly can't tell dilation, only contractions. that's why I ask.

I think it's important for you to realize that just b/c you are dilated to a 5, having regular contractions, doesn't mean you are IN labor. Women can walk around dilated (and contracting) for WEEKS without giving birth. Sometimes your body does a little of the work before the real labor begins. With one of my kids I started labor, got to a 5, then stopped and nothing happened again for a whole week.

There is no way to really know how much longer you would have gone on being pregnant before you had your baby. Once your water is broken, your baby is coming out, whether by c/s or vaginally, it's the end of the line. You may have been pregnant for 2 weeks longer, or you may have had your baby in an hour. No one could really know.

I would try to think of a back up plan for your DD. But try not to worry. Everything will work out. Babies are born all the time in less-than-ideal places - cars, trains, subways, airplanes - you don't HAVE to be at the hospital to have the baby. I know the idea is scary, but I think if you can come to terms with that, you may have an easier time of it all.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
dancingingrace
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
continually dilating? Or continually contracting? B/c AFAIK the monitor they strap to your belly can't tell dilation, only contractions. that's why I ask.

I think it's important for you to realize that just b/c you are dilated to a 5, having regular contractions, doesn't mean you are IN labor. Women can walk around dilated (and contracting) for WEEKS without giving birth. Sometimes your body does a little of the work before the real labor begins. With one of my kids I started labor, got to a 5, then stopped and nothing happened again for a whole week.

There is no way to really know how much longer you would have gone on being pregnant before you had your baby. Once your water is broken, your baby is coming out, whether by c/s or vaginally, it's the end of the line. You may have been pregnant for 2 weeks longer, or you may have had your baby in an hour. No one could really know.

I would try to think of a back up plan for your DD. But try not to worry. Everything will work out. Babies are born all the time in less-than-ideal places - cars, trains, subways, airplanes - you don't HAVE to be at the hospital to have the baby. I know the idea is scary, but I think if you can come to terms with that, you may have an easier time of it all.
Dilating. They check every so often, so that's how I know. I just tend not to feel contractions, and have a higher pain tolerance, so sometimes I brush aside things that I should actually be paying attention to. And yep, I know that you can be dilated and contracting without actually being THERE, which is where my decision making needs to come in.

We will just be taking DD with us if my mom isn't here before we leave, that's not really a huge issue, just something that would be nice if it worked out perfectly, but we all know how that goes, lol. I guess I just need to make sure I don't wait too long before making that decision to go.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #10
oddduck
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd get a neighbour or someone close by on standby. I don't think I'd want to wait 3 hours before going to the hospital.

BTW-- I walked around at 5cm for a week before I went "into labour" with my second. The contractions I felt were no different then I had felt a week before. It's a good thing that my water broke that AM to give my MW a heads up.