Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-28-2016, 06:44 AM   #1
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
How often do you replace your glasses?

Glasses wearers:

How often do you change up your frames?

I think mine are starting their second year (possibly longer.) I took my ds to the eye doctor and I was tempted by all the cute frames.

My backup pair (I wear them fairly often.) I've had the frame for 7 years??? I just got the lenses replaced when my prescription changed.

Advertisement

Old 04-28-2016, 07:14 AM   #2
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Usually every 2 years but the ones I have now are just shy of 5 years old. Even the lenses because it hasn't been in the budget to replace them
I have to go though because these aren't working anymore....can't even read street signs with my glasses anymore. I'm going to try out ordering frames online for the first time
Old 04-28-2016, 07:15 AM   #3
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How often do you replace your glasses?

When we have insurance that covers the cost of the frame I replace them as often as they let me, generally once a year. We no longer have vision insurance so I only buy lenses when I go unless my frames are showing huge amounts of wear. For me that is 2-3 years.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:15 AM   #4
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have to pay for contacts and glasses. So my glasses are usually on the back burner. My current pair I got two years ago and that replaced a 7 year old pair. Plus my eyes change every year so I really need to replace them yearly but too expensive.

If you have a decent prescription I'd get them at zinnia online. Unfortunately my eyes are beyond their help and I need super thin lenses. But if I wasn't legally blind I would be getting glasses all the time they have awesome sales.
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:18 AM   #5
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Now for my son...he gets new glasses yearly. Since he only wears glasses and his vision is still changing. We get new frames yearly. We tried just replacing the lenses once but the new lenses kept popping out of the old frames. It was awful!

We get his at Walmart because they have an awesome 1 year warranty. My son decided to use his face as an anchor in the wave pool at great wolf lodge. Which scratched up his frames. Went to Walmart and they replaced the frames, no questions asked.
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:28 AM   #6
nothingtosee
Registered Users

My Mood:

When they break & I can't fix them

I get to marry my best friend in September!
nothingtosee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:01 AM   #7
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

As I don't wear my glasses regularly, very rarely. I have had glasses for about 16-17 years and I've only had 3 frames, I think. Of course, I've only had new lenses 4 times, and the prescription changes so slightly, it's ridiculous. I really only wear them for cross stitching and driving long distances. If my eyes were worse, I probably would still only get new frames as needed, but I tend to get the very simple wire-rim frames.

My oldest and my sister both have terrible eyesight and both really like the stylish fashion frames. My daughter gets new frames typically once a year, though we did simply replace lenses once. My sister gets new frames at least every couple of years.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:03 AM   #8
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I would say, though, if you have a Wal-Mart with an optical center, try there for glasses, especially if your insurance doesn't cover glasses. When we lived in Vegas, we got the kids' glasses there for a fraction of what the eye doctor's office was charging, and the warranty was the same. The really nice part of it was that all the Wal-Marts are connected in the computer system, so when we were visiting family in Michigan and ODD broke her glasses, we were able to go into the store there and get them replaced right away.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:55 AM   #9
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've tried several online opticals for backups and they were fine. Once it was time to really change my prescription (strangely it improved) I went back to my old frame because I liked the color (black) and they were sturdier than my online ones.

The one pair of online glasses that wore like steal for me were the 39 dollar glasses ones. I have those as backup in the car in case I have some sort of eyeball emergency.

My current everyday pair has some scratching but my prescription is only slightly different this last appointment so I just kept them.

I have contacts left from when I ordered last. A year ago?

Has anyone tried Costco?

I think I'll put up with these a while longer since we pay out of pocket for glasses and contacts and it's never cheap because I have to order thinned lenses.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2016, 11:16 AM   #10
mamaberkhie
Registered Users
Formerly: 3L*****B*****s
seller
seller

Probably every two years or so when I see the eye doctor. It's always low on the priority list.

But a few months ago I found a steal on cute frames online so I went and got a pair that I love. I'll probably wear these until something happens to them. I actually like wearing them.