Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #11
babycat42
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: PSA: Please... Ship Smart. Save money, time, frustration!

We bought this scale in July for $9.99 prime and it's really cheap feeling but it's worked alot longer than the $25 we bought previously.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

Advertisement

babycat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #12
expaik
Registered Users
seller

I find that the mechanical scales last longer and are far more accurate than digital. Both of mine are mechanical.
expaik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #13
jenni_michelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ugh, I think I need the dummy version of postal info... I'm just absolutely terrible at understanding it all. I get some of the stuff you said but due to inexperience and lack of knowledge about postal stuff in general some of what you said makes me I'll admit it I'm a total postal dummy Thanks for this though! Now maybe I'll go look more into the stuff I don't understand.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #14
expaik
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni_michelle View Post
Ugh, I think I need the dummy version of postal info... I'm just absolutely terrible at understanding it all. I get some of the stuff you said but due to inexperience and lack of knowledge about postal stuff in general some of what you said makes me I'll admit it I'm a total postal dummy Thanks for this though! Now maybe I'll go look more into the stuff I don't understand.
What don't you understand? Post it here and I'll explain. Maybe others have the same questions, and would appreciate the clarifications. :-)
Old 10-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #15
jenni_michelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions
Quote:
Originally Posted by expaik View Post

Caveat: paypal shipping does not give options for certain kinds of packages, such as padded flat rate or regional rate. If you want to ship using those, go to USPS.com and use Click-n-ship. It works the same as paypal - you get the same rates and the same discounted/free DC.

What is regional rate, how do I know what packages are considered regional rate?

2) If you are shipping something heavy and dense via priority, take advantage of flat rate!! (NOTE: Don't ALWAYS ship heavy and dense things flat rate. See #3 below) USPS provides free flat rate packaging materials. The most handy ones are the padded flat rate envelopes, into which I've fit an amazing amount of clothing, diapers, etc. and the medium and large flat rate boxes.

Are flat rate the ones at the PO that already have the PO price on them?

TWO WORDS: REGIONAL RATE! These special types of flat rate boxes are designed to save you extra money on flat rate shipping. You can almost ALWAYS save by using these instead of the regular flat rate boxes. Only if you're shipping a very long distance, such as cross country, are these RR boxes of no use.

Again, I have no idea what regional rate is

WHEW. Hopefully some or all of these tips will help you out in the future. Happy trading and selling, and happy shipping!
Old 10-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #16
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

All great ideas except for the print your own labels. We don't own a printer and driving to the library eats up whatever savings we would have had.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #17
expaik
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
All great ideas except for the print your own labels. We don't own a printer and driving to the library eats up whatever savings we would have had.
Have you tried looking on craigslist? People are selling printers for around $10 (at least here in San Jose). Perfectly good working ones too. Sometimes they don't come with ink cartridges, but you can buy remanufactured ones off Ebay for around $6 per cartridge, sometimes less if in lots.

Two weeks ago I scored a BRAND NEW in box Canon color printer, on freecycle. Yup. I then freecycled my old one, which was working just fine as well.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #18
expaik
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni_michelle View Post
Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions

What is regional rate, how do I know what packages are considered regional rate?

Are flat rate the ones at the PO that already have the PO price on them?
Priority flat rate boxes are the ones at the PO, yes. They don't have a price label, but they do say clearly "MEDIUM FLAT RATE" etc. Whatever fits in one of the boxes, ships for a flat price regardless of weight. To ship priority flat rate, you MUST use the Flat Rate boxes or envelopes provided by the USPS. I can't remember the exact PO prices because I only ship through paypal which is cheaper, but it's something like $6 for small-flat-rate, $11.50 for medium-flat-rate (there are two different shaped versions, and the long flat one fits more stuff), and $16 for large-flat-rate (again, two different shaped versions).

If shipping these from a post office, you have to pay for delivery confirmation (.80) on top of the postage price. But through paypal, DC is free and priority postage is lower.

Not all post offices will stock all the varieties of flat rate envelopes and boxes so it's good to order the most useful ones from the USPS, which is free. I would go ahead and order the medium flat rate boxes (long version), large flat rate boxes (long version), padded flat rate envelopes, priority tyvek envelopes (polymailers), and regional rate A boxes. These are your best friend.

Regional rate works similarly to priority flat rate in that the mailing price does not depend on weight. The key difference is that the price to ship a regional rate priority box depends on shipping distance, whereas the regular flat rate parcel pricing is the same no matter where you ship to in the US. If you're shipping someplace fairly local to you, like one or two states away, or even halfway across the country, these will save you money over regular flat rate. To ship regional rate, you must have the Regional Rate boxes supplied by the USPS, which can be ordered as stated above.

If anything's unclear, just ask again!!

Last edited by expaik; 10-16-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #19
ChocoMeijin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
As a note, when shipping to Canada to get the cheapest rate you have to go into the post office to mail it! You can't get the first class cheap ship by shipping though paypal/online. This is a difference of $20 priority and $2 going to the PO.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:19 AM   #20
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Wonderful! As a seller, I can take away a renewed interest in regional boxes. I'll get some ordered today.

As a buyer, though? This should be stickied! There have been many times I have known I was being overcharged for shipping due to a seller's ignorance.

Thanks!