Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-25-2013, 11:35 PM   #151
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: PSA: Please... Ship Smart. Save money, time, frustration!

New question: I was looking through some old press releases from the USPS about their 13 oz rule (as the maximum weight of a package you can put in your mailbox), and it looked like the rule was only for 13+ oz STAMPED packages, not for 13+ oz labeled packages. This is not what I had been told before.

So if it fits in my mailbox and weighs 18 oz and has a prepaid label on it, can I in fact send it instead of taking it to the post office???

Thanks!

Advertisement

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:40 AM   #152
expaik
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by debcita429 View Post
New question: I was looking through some old press releases from the USPS about their 13 oz rule (as the maximum weight of a package you can put in your mailbox), and it looked like the rule was only for 13+ oz STAMPED packages, not for 13+ oz labeled packages. This is not what I had been told before.

So if it fits in my mailbox and weighs 18 oz and has a prepaid label on it, can I in fact send it instead of taking it to the post office???

Thanks!
As far as I know, ANY package can be left for your mail carrier to pick up. Doesn't matter how large or heavy, or what kind of postage it bears. I usually try and take big stuff to the PO because I don't want to burden the poor guy, but technically the sky's the limit. And obviously if you live in an apartment or condo complex with a shared outgoing mail area, there will be restrictions defined by management.

The rule you mention only applies to mail that is put into US mailboxes. Those must be 13 oz or less if they bear stamps. Anything with a printed label can be put in there, regardless of weight.
expaik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:08 AM   #153
pinktoes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by debcita429

Thanks!
If you have at least 1 priority item you can arrange for free pick up online. Just needs to be arranged a day in advance. You indicate on the form # and type of pkgs and where they should be picked up

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
pinktoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #154
Jleigh8289
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by expaik View Post
Priority flat rate boxes are the ones at the PO, yes. They don't have a price label, but they do say clearly "MEDIUM FLAT RATE" etc. Whatever fits in one of the boxes, ships for a flat price regardless of weight. To ship priority flat rate, you MUST use the Flat Rate boxes or envelopes provided by the USPS. I can't remember the exact PO prices because I only ship through paypal which is cheaper, but it's something like $6 for small-flat-rate, $11.50 for medium-flat-rate (there are two different shaped versions, and the long flat one fits more stuff), and $16 for large-flat-rate (again, two different shaped versions).
I saw this...
Does that mean that to ship regular priority you can use any kind of boxes? Or do you still have to use priority boxes?
Jleigh8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #155
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jleigh8289

I saw this...
Does that mean that to ship regular priority you can use any kind of boxes? Or do you still have to use priority boxes?
You can use any box but you can't use the flat rate priority pricing.

***I know how to write, my iPod does not***
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #156
expaik
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jleigh8289 View Post
I saw this...
You can ship *anything* priority - doesn't even have to be a box. Can be a tiny polymailer envelope even.

But I recommend using their priority boxes if you're shipping something fragile that requires boxing, because their boxes are free, lightweight, and super sturdy. Cut it up to fit your needs if necessary. (Don't do this with flat rate boxes though).

Last edited by expaik; 08-26-2013 at 08:43 AM.
expaik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #157
Jleigh8289
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom

You can use any box but you can't use the flat rate priority pricing.

***I know how to write, my iPod does not***
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Old 08-26-2013, 08:49 AM   #158
Jleigh8289
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by expaik

You can ship any parcel priority - doesn't even have to be a box. Can be a tight polymailer.

But I recommend using their priority boxes if you're shipping something fragile that requires boxing, because their boxes are free, lightweight, and super sturdy. Cut it up to fit your needs if necessary. (Don't do this with flat rate boxes though).
Thank you! That makes sense.
I'm so glad this thread is here!

Old 08-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #159
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktoes View Post
If you have at least 1 priority item you can arrange for free pick up online. Just needs to be arranged a day in advance. You indicate on the form # and type of pkgs and where they should be picked up

I almost never ship priority, but thank you!

Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
Old 08-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #160
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by expaik View Post
As far as I know, ANY package can be left for your mail carrier to pick up. Doesn't matter how large or heavy, or what kind of postage it bears. I usually try and take big stuff to the PO because I don't want to burden the poor guy, but technically the sky's the limit. And obviously if you live in an apartment or condo complex with a shared outgoing mail area, there will be restrictions defined by management.

The rule you mention only applies to mail that is put into US mailboxes. Those must be 13 oz or less if they bear stamps. Anything with a printed label can be put in there, regardless of weight.
That's what I *thought* I was reading. My mailman simply told me the 13 oz rule, but he had not yet seen me put labels on things at the time. Thank you!